Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

neutering 2 year old

I am thinking about getting my 2 year old male neutered. I have read a lot on here and it seems there are many different opinions. My question is about him continuing to fill out. I have seen several rotties that filled out quiet a bit from the time they were 2 years old until they were 4 or 5 years old. Will neutering my 2 year old have any affect on his filling out over the next few years? Will he continue to fill out the same as if he wasn't neutered at this point?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Re: neutering 2 year old

Should be fine. I had Marshall done at 2 years and he's a beautiful muscular Rottie.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
I am thinking about getting my 2 year old male neutered. I have read a lot on here and it seems there are many different opinions. My question is about him continuing to fill out. I have seen several rotties that filled out quiet a bit from the time they were 2 years old until they were 4 or 5 years old. Will neutering my 2 year old have any affect on his filling out over the next few years? Will he continue to fill out the same as if he wasn't neutered at this point?
i think if your not in a hurry wait another half a year to a year, if you are than 2 years should be fine.im planning on getting Pacino neutered when he is around 2 because i believe that testostarone plays a major part in a dogs develpment.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Sarasmom...how much did Marshall grow after he turned 2? How much weight did he put on? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Valued Member

What are your reasons for wanting to get your dog neutered?
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
i believe that testostarone plays a major part in a dogs develpment.
I believe genetics plays a major part in a dogs development.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM

The reasons are that I do not plan on breeding him and for the overall health benefits of neutering.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
The reasons are that I do not plan on breeding him and for the overall health benefits of neutering.
You do realize that it is possible to not breed an intact dog right? You also realize that there are some serious negative effects of neutering. Please say that you have done some research on what those negative effects are such as several nasty, not cureable cancers.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB

Old 03-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Believe it or not I do realize that. I have talked to my vet about neutering and I trust my vet more than others when it comes to firsthand animal knowledge. I realize that you and anyone else with internet access can list pros and cons to neutering. I was just wondering if anyone else had their dog neutered around this age and what they had thought.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Valued Member

You want personal experience, here is one of mine. Many years ago I neutered my just turned three year old male. Within six months he was low thyroid. Within the year he started to loose those secondary male characterists, most noticable on his head. His coat took on a wooly texture. By the time he was 5 he was often mistaken for a mix instead of the always in the ribbons show dog he was.
He also developed a form of cancer called Transistional Cell. It was in his prostate. It caused him to not be able to pee. For nearly two weeks the only way he was able to empty his bladder was with a catheter. I still have some. I learned how to stick a 22" long rubber tube up his penis so that he could pee. His only risk factor for this cancer was being neutered. A population study of neutering status as a risk f... [Prostate. 2007] - PubMed result
My dog is dead years before his time because of being neutered.
My own personal thought is that I will never neuter another dog unless there is a pressing medical reason for it. As for your vet, ask him if he is familar with the above study and all of the other studies that deal with cancer risk and neutering. I would bet serious money that your vet has never heard of these studies.
He is your dog. Many vets only know and therefor only give one side when it comes to the risks and "benefits" of neutering. Before subjecting your dog to a life altering surgery you should be aware of both sides, not just one. If after you do your due diligence, decide on what is best for your dog and yourself. I just wish someone did the same for me back then.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB

Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM

I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your dog. Thank you for your advice and taking the time to reply. I have read your article and will continue to read other articles addressing this topic.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Valued Member

My dog would have been 13 tomorrow. I miss him terribly. He was extremely healthy, except for the cancer that ended up killing him. He still has a sister that is doing well. She was spayed after her show career. His littermates that were s/n at 6 months all developed and died from cancers like osteosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma before they were 10.
The American College of Theriogenologists has a good summary of the health benefits of keeping intact and s/n, complete with references. Read carefully as some of the benefits of remaining intact goes against "common knowledge". American College of Theriogenologists
Life is a balancing act. Only you can decide what is best for your dog and yourself/family/situation. everyone's situation is different. I firmly believe that knowing all the facts leads to better decisions though.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM

I will think about it and read the information that you provided. All I want to do is what is best for the dog in the long run. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not I do realize that. I have talked to my vet about neutering and I trust my vet more than others when it comes to firsthand animal knowledge. I realize that you and anyone else with internet access can list pros and cons to neutering. I was just wondering if anyone else had their dog neutered around this age and what they had thought.
The problem is your vet, and mine, will tell owners the samething whether it be a Rottweiler or Toy Poodle and the risks associated are not the same for all breeds even though vets group them all together!

Here's another great article...

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbkeays View Post
My own personal thought is that I will never neuter another dog unless there is a pressing medical reason for it.
AMEN!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Valued Member

Orangeman, I neutered my first Rottie, Otto, when he was about 2 years old. He filled out and looked like a male--he was never mistaken for a bitch.

He got osteo when he was about 8-1/2 year old.

We recently lost our 12 yo Rottie bitch, Tula. She was spayed before her first heat. Tula died from what my vet thinks was a burst blood vessel.

The dog in my signature was spayed by Rottie rescue, likely before her first heat, too. Mox turned 10 yo in Dec and I'm still competing with her (drafting and pack hiking, and she's being worked in utility).

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011