Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Novice Member

8 month old female rottweiler size

hi to any one who can answer this for me i have a 8 month old female rottweiler and i have been told by many people that she is not going to be big or grow much more than she is now even by the vet. at the moment she stands 20 to 21 inches tall at shoulder hieght and she weighs just over 65 pounds will she grow to average hieght about 23 to 24 inches tall. i have a german shepherd and he was fully grown by 6 months old and my rottweiler is 8 months old and 3 inches smaller when she should be the same size of my german shephered male about 23 to 24 iches tall does it take longer fore rottweilers to grow to there full height thank you to any body who answers this for me thank you

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Valued Member

Re: 8 month old female rottweiler size

Rotties are a slow maturing breed. Your female will be mature when she's about 2 yo.

Frankly, I think you should stop comparing her to dogs of other breeds and stop listening to all those people telling you she won't be a big dog. What do you care what people on the street have to say?

Will you stop loving your puppy if she doesn't become a "big" bitch??

Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Novice Member

First I would like to say, that growth and size has a lot of factors, and it really can come to depending on the bloodlines that your rottweiler has. And as for a fact, that goes for every breed. My last female stopped growing height wise at about 8 months old, and only grew wide after that for the next year. It was due to genetics. I actually have her sister now as a pup who is actually showing signs of the same thing. But in reality, only time will tell.

Secondly, I don't want to start anything here, but AngelBunny, don't you feel that response was a little harsh? I see that the OP is comparing the dog to their own german shephard and even though they didn't list most of the people, they did say their Vet said the dog might be small. Now most dog owners listen to their Veterinarians for advice when they are unsure. And on top of that, the OP never said they wouldn't love their dog if it didn't become big. I don't think that response came off the right way and it had a bit of animosity towards a person looking for helpful information.

-Lamarr

Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 AM

She could easily gain another 10 pounds, in a year or two. IMHO that is a substantial dog!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing average height for females was 22-24 inches...so at 8 mo, I would think she might still add another inch or so heightwise. With my male, we adopted him at two years of age and by three he didn't add any height but had added another 15 lbs of lean weight bulking up...even his head seemed to get broader during that period. Your girl may ultimately be on the small side...I'm constantly told my female at 23 inches and 85 lbs is "tiny"...which I find amusing as she's built like a tank and as far as I know, within breed standards. With your girl being smaller, hopefully, she'll have a longer life span than the oversized rotti's. Do you know what her parents' size was??

Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM

My 3 year old male gained another inch between 1 and 2 years of age. As far as whole size and development, a fursaver that fit him 6 months ago without any issues is now hard to get off.
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llcouttien
...I don't want to start anything here, but AngelBunny, don't you feel that response was a little harsh?...I don't think that response came off the right way and it had a bit of animosity...
To answer your question, No, I don't.

You're entitled to your opinion about anything I say.

fostermom, according to the standard, the height for bitches is 22-25".

Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM

My girl is a little over a year old and about 80 lbs. I have had several people say she is small. But, she is completely within standards. I think other (non-rottweiler) people have this idea in their head that rottweilers are huge dogs, like a mastiff! My breeder said that her females that do the best in competitions are the 80 lb girls! Not to mention being on the smaller side is usually better for their health.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Vintage Valued Member

At 8 months, your girl is within range for achieving standard height. She could easily be closer to the 22" end of this. Her current weight is appropriate for her height and furrent growth.

Sable is 22.5" and during her show career, weighed 80-83 lbs. The idea that bigger is better is rediculous. A nicely structured, well conditioned, properly bred female will and have had successful show careers. Sable did very well, tho she was not originally purchased as show quality. We got lucky there, and we had a lot of fun doing it!

So why do folks make so much ado about nothing? Who knows? Would you love the dog any less if she did not achieve the minimum height standard? Yes! You probably would. It helps to stop listening to amatuers.

PS: I still have folks who come up and "inform me" Sable is too small. Really? News to me and the judges, then... !!

Rotties take 2-3 years to fully mature. I've had GSD's in the past. We're talking about different breeds but none of the GSD's were fully developed at six or eight months either.

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 04-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermom View Post
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing average height for females was 22-24 inches...so at 8 mo, I would think she might still add another inch or so heightwise. With my male, we adopted him at two years of age and by three he didn't add any height but had added another 15 lbs of lean weight bulking up...even his head seemed to get broader during that period. Your girl may ultimately be on the small side...I'm constantly told my female at 23 inches and 85 lbs is "tiny"...which I find amusing as she's built like a tank and as far as I know, within breed standards. With your girl being smaller, hopefully, she'll have a longer life span than the oversized rotti's. Do you know what her parents' size was??
yes ive seen both the parents and the father was massive and the mother was probs about 23 to 24 inches tall

Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Novice Member

thank you for all your replys it has been very helpful and to angel i will not love my rottweiler any less if anything i love her mor every day as with my german shepherd

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM

My girl is 1 1/2 and weighs in at 91 pounds. People comment on her size saying she is large for a female? She runs with me everyday so she is muscular.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Am I the only one here who did not find Anglebunny's comments derisive? Try not reading an unkind tone into things. It helps!

I said practically the same thing: "...stop listening to ameteurs..." No one jumped on me. Neither do I want to be.

Yet: We are all reading the writen word, here. This is not drama. It is not theater. This is generally a nice place to be and exchange ideas. I'd much prefer it stayed that way, as I enjoy it here.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABELLESMOM View Post
Am I the only one here who did not find Anglebunny's comments derisive? Try not reading an unkind tone into things. It helps!

I said practically the same thing: "...stop listening to ameteurs..." No one jumped on me. Neither do I want to be.

Yet: We are all reading the writen word, here. This is not drama. It is not theater. This is generally a nice place to be and exchange ideas. I'd much prefer it stayed that way, as I enjoy it here.
You're not the only one. I actually blew a gasket! Just caught me at the wrong time!

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/for...tle-harsh.html

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
You're not the only one. I actually blew a gasket! Just caught me at the wrong time!

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/for...tle-harsh.html
Thanks for the link. Nice job!

Re: the size issue. You find a great many comments regarding size. Most are erroneous and lean toward the bigger is better side of the scale. This is far from the truth, but seems to be a continuous thorn to those who who are avidly enlightened.

Rottweilers are a substantial sized breed. Females of this breed are supposed to be smaller and more feminine in appearance. Not too many, IF any, other breeds have the distinctness of sex listed in the breed standard: no doggy bitches; no bitchy dogs.

Look at a Beagle. There are height differences 13" or 15", yes? But it is appropriate for both males and females alike to be either 13" or 15". There is very little distinction, other than genitalia.

You have a female. She is appropriately sized for her breed and sex. Don't listen to ameteurs. It will only confuse you.

And while a vet may have more critical veternary knowlege, he is not likely to be all that breed specificly knowlegable. My vets ask ME breed specific questions. I appreciate their sensitivity, respect, and sensibility.