Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Novice Member

Any input on Rottie/Chow mix?

Hi :)

I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me or have a little insight into my situation. I'm new to this wonderful and informative forum so please bear with me if this has already been asked. I tried searching for related threads but didn't find anything... and I'm posting in the breeding section because my ultimate question is about a Rottie/Chow mix.

Here is my question:

My significant other and I are adopting a puppy. The humane society believes she is part Rottie, part Chow. She is a 4 month old ball of energy who is going to need lots of attention and training, and we are looking forward to the challenges and rewards of having her join our family.

My concern is in regards to homeowners insurance. I just got off the phone with an insurance agent who when told we were getting a Rottie/Chow mix said they were a "bad mix". When I asked for detail or sources for this comment he had no response. (On a side note we've found a new insurer that has no breed restricions, and have switched already) Anyone out there have any experience with a Rottie/Chow mix? Is this really a bad breed combo, or do you think this was just a case of an uninformed insurance agent with breed prejudice?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Amanda

Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Re: Any input on Rottie/Chow mix?

Our previous dog was a Rottie/Pitbull/Chow mix and he was a totally cool dog. He lived to be 12 years old. He had a bit of the aloofness that Chow's have but not the stubborness. He was extremely easy to train, very willing to please. His bearing and body type was much like a Rottie but his coloring was a dark brindle and he had a spotted pink/purple tongue. He knew lots of tricks and enjoyed showing them off. He never exhibited any aggression towards humans, in fact he was a leaner after determining that you were ok. He was an intact male so we did have some dog on dog issues, he wasn't afraid to back down from a challenge, we had to be very alert when walking him. (Most of our neighbors let their dogs run loose....the ole we live in the country attitude so the dogs should be free to roam.) My husband still misses him, they were best buddies. I would have to say that it was likely breed prejudice speaking and not hands-on knowledge. Good luck and enjoy your new little girl.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Re: Any input on Rottie/Chow mix?

JMO, but rescues and shelters make mistakes all the time w/ indentifying breeds and mixes. I'm not saying they're wrong in this case, just that their opinion isn't neccessarily right nor written in stone, especially for a puppy. "Chow/Rottie mix" is only a guess, so why volunteer it in the first place? If someone asks what kind of dog she is, why not say, "she's a mix from the pound"? I don't think this mix is "bad" but I do think your former Insurance Agent is a half-wit. If you're going to make a statement like the one he did, you should be able to back it up. Not to mention he is discouraging you from adopting a puppy in need. If you talk to him again, you should ask if he thinks this pup deserves to die b/c he thinks she is a "bad mix."