Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM

Rottie doesn't bark

Diesel who is now 10 months doesn't bark occasionally growls when pulling at toys. The trainer in his obedience class says that Rotties due to being bred to guard are known not to bark. Is this true because I haven't seen any of you mention this? I'm not complaining, just curious.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 AM

Re: Rottie doesn't bark

i would have to look that up in a book i have but think there is some truth in that ...

im sure it went that male rotties are less likely to bark.. females are more mouthy ...
also male rotties show less emotion so in serious situations its hard to read what there next action is going to be ...

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 AM

my 9 month old male will only bark if there is something or someone around even when my two other dogs are barking he just go's to check it out if he's see's nothing is wrong he just turns around and walks off while the other two dogs cry wolf all the time.I think it's good b/c I know if Jake is barking there is something I should go check out.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

My 7 mo. old male doesn't bark much. When we are relaxing at night, if he hears a noise near the house, he lets out one deep bark and walks over to the door to go check it out, but otherwise he's fairly quiet. If we pass dogs in a yard while walking and they start barking at him, he either keeps walking or pauses and does the "head tilt" - never barks back though.
My last rotti was a female and she was more vocal, but not much! My brother's male rotti didn't bark much either.
I've never know a rotti who barked much!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Vintage Valued Member

A properly bred Rottweiler is less likely to bark without cause. They should have a "wait and see attitude." Therefore if no threat is percieved, there should be no alarm. ...Makes a heck of a lot more sense than a silly old wives tale, doesn't it?

We joked about both of our girls growing up: that their bark was broken. But there bark's were just fine. In fact, it gives you time to teach them, for example, that folks passing by on the sidewalk... is a normal occurrence.

Take advantage of your more properly bred dog. Guide him and praise him for noticing, without barking. Who wants to hear some barking fool? Be glad you don't have one, as they ARE annoying.

So don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Consider yourself blessed with a calm and confident dog. As long as he "takes notice," without timidity, he's fine. You may see, as he matures, his stance becomes more "at attention" during his assessments, or an occasional bark.

My girls display a preparatory high alert stance (very pretty to see... heads high, straight topline, and a solid base) when something calls their attention. If it's barkworthy, they bark. If not, they go on about their business with an occasional glance back.

You sound like you have a sensible, stable, and confident dog. It's the right kind of dog to have. I'm sure he shines intellegently in class, as well?

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 01-15-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm sure he shines intellegently in class, as well?
This is statement is amazingly true. Even before we started going to class Diesel has learned so many tricks and he does this in a matter of minutes. While other breeds are barking at each other Diesel who is the only rotty in the class is very alert.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Paradise rarely barks. We have tried teaching "speak" where we bark and she looks at us like we are crazy!!

She does bark when someone passes on the sidewalk or the neighbor kids run thru the yard.

Our neighbors have 3 dogs that bark all the time for no reason when they are outside. If I'm out with Paradise she just ignores them. I could not put up with a barking dog.

Diesel sounds like the perfect gentleman

Michele

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Perfect example: A woman dropped something off for me the other day and gently put the item between my doors, she must of thought no one was home. We were playing with the dog and then all the sudden he stopped walked up to the door and intently gazed at it with his alert look. I heard the door, no one else did and I did not mention it. I wanted to see if he would bark but he did not he eventually went back to playing with backward glances. Much better than the MIL's MIN PINS who go nuts yapping when the wind blows. It is a thing of beauty to see that alert stance, Head High, Chest Out, Perfect Topline, ears set wish my dog would do that in the ring sometimes... LOL
Sounds like you have a great dog.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM

actually its true just got the new edition (dog bibble) i know its silly but i'd like to know as much as possible lol anyways i read that they are known to be stealth quiet when need to. Dina does this thing where she'll allow u to enter the house, she hides behind the wall unit and quietly follows the person as if she thinks shes a cat funny though,, although noone is allow into my house i mean shes over protective...

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM

I've also heard it's what makes them quite dangerous, there is no warning growl just the attack. I would prefer to do the attacking anyhow. I'd be afaraid my dog would get hurt.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Valued Member

None of Rotties I have known were barkers. I don't think I heard Cyrus bark for weeks after I adopted him.

Cyrus likes to hang out on our deck. My street is kind of like those "scenic stops" because we are on the harbor and all the airport action is right there. We get a LOT of sightseers

Anyway, Cyrus is pretty cool. He won't bark at anyone. But every now and then someone will be out there that raises his hackles. He will bark and posture at them (we are on the second floor so he is a good distance away) for a short time and that's it. I like this (my tenant does too) because I feel it is a deterrent in case someone is up to no good.

Cyrus CGC, adopted 3/27/04 -May 21, 2009. Forever in my heart.

Lady Harriett, Pitmix Princess

James, Alpha-Cat

Nichevo, Scratch and Babe, playing at the bridge, I miss you

Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianvoneli View Post
I've also heard it's what makes them quite dangerous, there is no warning growl just the attack.
Quote:
...known to be stealth quiet when need to...
False. I was hoping not to hear these relatively "inaccurate imbellishments." People have been busily passing these on to the unsuspecting as knowlege... They are falsehoods. Unless you have a misbred dog, these are not things one should see in a Rottweiler.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Got to be careful when i post like i said it was hearsay never experienced this for myself actually never experienced a not so nice rott either.
Sorry for the innacurate hearsay.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Oh I understand. Might have believed one or two myself, maybe, a long time ago. Some comments are more subtle and more easily believed. Others are so rediculously over the top, you can tell right away.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM

so my dog must be the reject then, cuz he barks often and well! very vocal. nobody else's dog has sprung into action in the middle of the night, charging the door barking his fool head off is there was an ax wielding psycho killer on the porch? i'm sure he heard SOMETHING....a leaf fell or something....midnight ninja squirrels maybe....