Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Novice Member

Talking info about rottweiler/labrador mix

Hello,
I am thinking about getting a rott/lab mix from a shelter. They think he is about a year and a half. When my boyfriend and I met him, he was very timid and apprehensive/scared as he has only been in the shelter for 2 days. Does anyone have any experience with rot/lab mixes? He seemed very sweet, but we are concerned about getting him home and gaining some confidence. Thanks for your help

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Re: info about rottweiler/labrador mix

First I think it's wonderful your looking at rescuing. All my pets are rescues and I couldn't be happier with them.

My BIL used to have a rottie/lab mix named Max. He was solid black, but looked just like a rottie, docked tail and all. He weighed 110lbs,yes he was a big boy. All muscle not an ounce of fat on him. Tim got him when he was 8 weeks old and he was the sweetest boy ever. Great temperament, excellent disposition, and never met anything or anyone he didn't like. Lived to be almost twelve. However, all dogs are different.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the breed combination as much as his temperament. Has he already been neutered? Was he an owner surrender or a stray they picked up?

I would visit a few times to see how he reacts to you. The first time is so hard to read their true nature as most of them are scared to death. If your still not sure I'd enlist in the help of a behaviorist and have him temperament tested. This should help with some concerns you might have.

Also, will this boy be an only dog, or do you already have pets at home? If so I would recommend a meet and greet (most shelters require this) to see if all your animals will get along.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 AM

If you are indeed concerned about your abilities to help a dog with confidence issues, then I suggest you look for another pet in the shelter. I used to work in a shelter years ago and it takes a very confident person to help animals with issues, not to mention much patience to go with that. Breed doesn't matter here.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 AM

Congrats on the new baby (maybe) !

I think my girl (her pic is posted) was sired by a lab and she is absolutely fabulous. But I also had exposure to her fam and sort of knew what I was signing up for. The Rott is very dominant with her and that is something you should educate yourself about if you are not familiar with the breed.

That said, you should re-visit, with the most private, one on one environment they can provide you. It is so very hard to gauge a temperament in that situation.

If the animal is still very timid and not friendly or curious I would speak further with the administrators of the facility. Only you and your gut can decide but an animal with fear issues are not for the faint of heart. Please be sure of what you are looking at here...a better description would help...ask the people that work there for more info about his human/animal relations.

He may just be nervous and scared. Understandably.

Ailee

Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 AM

i have a rott/lab mix she 7yrs old got a small lab head a rotti body with the tan marks but light, a docked tail.she is great with everyone and children is good at letting me know when the door goes but happy to let them inside,she will walk and run for hours and chewed when a pup but shes great

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM

I adopted my first rotti from a shelter...he was VERY afraid and overwhelmed at the shelter...I had to keep everything "low key" with Reno for months...even a happy voice "good boy" was too much for him. But he gradually gained in confidence...I couldn't ask for a greater dog now. There are a lot of books on how to work with timid dogs too....as long as he isn't fear aggressive but just timid, I would certainly give this dog a chance. Sometimes with shelter dogs, it's more their lack of socialization/exposure rather than actually a poor temperment. Reno had never been in a car, wasn't housetrained...I suspect someone had thrown him in a back yard and left him there until he "escaped" (as he was found stray). The one thing that was obvious with Reno was he WANTED to be petted or be near someone but it looked like he was expecting to be hit so he was nervous about it. If the dog didn't want any interactions though, I would probably look for a different dog. I would think a lab/rotti would be a great combination. Let us know what you decide.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 PM

I have 2 Rottweiler Lab, "Rotten Labs", pups 8 weeks old. This is my first "adventure" with any type of a Rott. Their disposition is great!
Meet with your boy again and I am sure that he will remeber you and be a little more friendly. To gain his confidence you will need to nurture, praise, love and praise and love and praise! You can not give too much! Keep in mind your and your boyfriend's temperments also. It will take alot of patience. The members here are all very knowledgeable and ready to help with any advice.
Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Any...I repeat ANY dog can display timidness in an uncertain situation. Most of us are fortunate enough to have a well temperamented well bred animal that has been well treated. Yet we can't assume that even those with the best of circumstances will not succomb to the stress of being placed in a shelter. Let's not make hasty judgements on this poor guy.

He may be simply overwhelmed. For example: Death has an odor. Dogs "know it." If this is a kill shelter, he "knows." Often other dogs are brought in ill and sickly. That has an odor as well. I've never visited a shelter ONCE that didn't have at least 1 dog with diarrhea. ALL of this and many other factors may make him appear timid and apprehensive.

Rott'n/Labs make wondeful pets. A year and a half is a good age. Go back. Perhaps you can visit him in a fenced yard play area, where he can interact with you. Act relaxed and happy. Try not to bend over him. Let him come to you. Speak in a normal but interesting tone, full of occasional smiles and excitement. Bring a toy to toss. I'm sure he'll respond well. He's young. Most dogs, once sheltered, turn out very nice indeed.

We rescued a Cocker Spaniel, who is now 17. Was he perfect at first? No. He was scared too. It happens. Before that we had a shelter pup...Rhodesian/Greyhound. She was lovely too and lived to be 15. Yes she was timid... but she followed me everywhere! Lovely pets, the both of them! Confidence comes when someone is fair, nurturing and is able to train and praise.

Give your guy another visit.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina13 View Post
Hello,
I am thinking about getting a rott/lab mix from a shelter. They think he is about a year and a half. When my boyfriend and I met him, he was very timid and apprehensive/scared as he has only been in the shelter for 2 days. Does anyone have any experience with rot/lab mixes? He seemed very sweet, but we are concerned about getting him home and gaining some confidence. Thanks for your help
I grew up with a Rott/lab mix. She was wonderful. She lived to be 17....that is unheard of. But a very good dog!! I miss Maxi!!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 AM

I'm picking my Rott/Lab mix up from the shelter this coming Tuesday. Can't wait!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Rescuers are well received here. You are part of the solution to overpopulation of dogs. I hope your rescue gains the confidence he needs.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemongrel View Post
I'm picking my Rott/Lab mix up from the shelter this coming Tuesday. Can't wait!
CONGRATS!!!! I hope he will do well with your family.

Just as a side note and for others reading this...IMO and being invovled in rescue work I wonder why someone would choose a dog that from the start you will have to work hard to get a dog to be fun. I would assume most dog owners want a dog that will be happy and friendly and will enjoy outings as much as the owner. When I went to the shelter to pick which dog needed to be saved for the week I never looked twice at an overly shy dog. They just would not do well for an average home. I would have to pick the most confident but eager to please dog. There are SO MANY dogs that are awaiting their final hour in the shelter, and so many good dogs. Would it not be better to pick out a companion that is confident and friendly rather than the dog we feel sorry for? Most of the dogs in the animal shelter end up euthanized...that is a sad fact, but if someone is looking for a dog from the shelter to be a true companion you should try to find the dog that is most able to adapt in any environment. This is usually the most calm dog in the shelter, but is happy to greet when you present yourself. Not the dog that is apprehensive or shivering in the corner.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM

We rescued a 1.5 year old, male Rott/Husky mix Friday night. He was going to be PTS as he was at a high volume shelter and they had no room. He was surrendered because of a divorce and the new landlord (apartment) did not allow dogs.

This is the first Rott mix we've ever rescued. Up until now we've only rescued pure breds (5 Rotts in 10 years). When we brought him home Friday night, he would not eat his dinner, by Sunday night he was devouring his food. All rescued dogs, whether purebred or mix will take time to get used to their new environment. Just think of the traumatic experiences they've been through! He's been great, although it has only been 3 days. He leaves the cats alone and plays well with our other female Rott. We feel sooooo good having saved him.

I see no reason to be concerned that it's a mix. It's still a large dog and you must treat it as such. It's very important to establish a routine in terms of feeding time, walk time, play time, etc. If you can start out with a steady routine the dog will adapt quickly, but some take longer than others and i've had some rescues take up to a month to get acclimated. Also, make sure you crate train the dog. That will help greatly.

Give it a shot! It's hard work, but think of how good you'll feel for giving a great dog a much needed forever home. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
Just as a side note and for others reading this...IMO and being invovled in rescue work I wonder why someone would choose a dog that from the start you will have to work hard to get a dog to be fun.
There are rescues/rescuers who "cherry pick" dogs they can easily place...nothing wrong with that...every life saved counts.
But I've pulled shy dogs, dogs hit by cars, geriatric dogs with massive testicular and mammary tumors, big, black and older mixed breed dogs (the kinds least likely to be adopted)...and they've all turned into great dogs...some I've kept, some have been adopted. I feel blessed to have had each in my life. And somehow I never viewed any of them as "work".
Recently I pulled three four month old rotti/shep pups from a high kill shelter...they were placed in a run at the shelter and simply left there...no walks, no socialization. The pups were frozen in terror when I went in to look at them...totally overwhelmed...but within an hour of being "sprung" from the shelter they were bouncing around my yard, being normal, happy pups....I feel EVERY dog (with the exception of one with aggression issues) deserves a chance...it's just sad that there are more dogs than chances.
I can sit and look at my crew and pretty much tick off which ones would never had made it out of the shelter except for my intervention...and somehow, these are the ones that are most tightly entwined around my heart.
Reno was two when I first saw him at the local shelter...he was cowering in the back of his run, expecting people to hurt him. He was so sick he had stopped eating, had never been in a car, was not housetrained...probably spent his life in someone's back yard. He has grown into my alpha male...and assumed the role of "mother hen" to my crew, including two five week old kittens I rescued. He made me fall in love with the breed.
Bailey was a five month old pup who was a stray hit by a car. He sat at a shelter for a month with a broken leg and pelvis. When we went to look at him, he limped out on three legs, laid his head in my husband's lap and cried. Bailey is my "lunatic"...who can jump three feet straight up in excitement and who nestles his head on the edge of the bed and stands transfixed as long as I am willing to pet him.
Kenya was a senior dog who's owner dumped her in a shelter after her pups died of parvo. Her teeth were worn down, she was arthritic...but her devotion to me is unquestioned. She is my Ever Ready bunny...she keeps going, and going, and going...and we have been blessed with her for five years now and hopefully several more!
Rocky is seven, large, black and mixed (rotti/shep)...the type of dog usually overlooked by rescue and adopters. But he is probably THE sweetest dog I've ever known. Maybe I just like to root for the underdog. How's the saying go? One man's trash is another's treasure.

Last edited by fostermom; 03-25-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks, Fostermom! You have a heart a large as the universe!