Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Novice Member

Wink What is the age of the Oldest Living Rottweiler??

I know this has probably been asked before, but my Rotty is 15 years old now and shows no sign of slowing down. Mind you she is gassy, has these gross skin tags things and really bad breath, but she she is still pretty spry for her old age. She has gotten really picky with her food and pretty much wants people food 100 % of the time now or will starve herself otherwise. People always ask me what the secret to her long life was and I tell them that it was all the Costco "Bargain Hound" food I fed her, ha ha ha!!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Re: What is the age of the Oldest Living Rottweiler??

I don't think anyone keeps statistics on that. There is someone else posting here who has one that is 16.

Forever my special angels.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Excellent, and congratulations to you both !!
It's funny, when I hear about spry people in their 90's and older, and they just say exactly what they think, no pretenses or games.... I love it and if she were mine I'd feed caviar if she wanted it !!!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:48 PM

I thought there was a member on here who had an 18 year old that had to be pts due to old age last summer.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Novice Member

Congratulations on a 15 YO rottie! How lucky to be blessed with their presence for 15 years. What is the breeding on the dog?

Kay

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Novice Member

Wow! 18 years old! That would likely be a world record!! Has anyone else seen those yucky skin tags things on their older Rotties? She also has some "boils" on her forehead too. They don't seem to bother her, just look yucky. I have had her since 8 weeks old and she has always been the best dog ever! Never chewed anything, never pooped/peed in the house, gentle when the baby came along, I have been really lucky! She had a geriatric stroke last summer and she pulled through and is spry as ever still! She amazes me!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM

18!! Wow! I had one live to be 14-15 (she was a rescue). I had two die at 4 and two die at 9-10 (all rescues). They all ended up with cancer. 2 lymphosarcoma & 3 hemangiosarcoma.
Great Dane Angus, CGC, CS, TDI
Von Marc's Essential Cat Scratch Fever-Teddy

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber123 View Post
People always ask me what the secret to her long life was and I tell them that it was all the Costco "Bargain Hound" food I fed her, ha ha ha!!
Best wishes your girl continues to do well. 13 seems to be the best I can manage with my dogs. It's funny...we so emphasize the importance of feeding premium foods (or feeding raw) to keep a dog healthy. Yet, I always ask people I meet who have really geriatric dogs or cats what they feed, and I've yet to have someone name a quality food. In fact, most have named REALLY low end food (Dad's is mentioned frequently). Makes me wonder.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM

fostermom-

I know what you mean... While I know the man who had Missy for most of the first 8 1/2 years of her life loved her, I also know she didn't eat premium food and didn't see a vet on anything close to a regular basis. She is a "pet quality" dog in every sense of the word, and clearly came from a BYB. I didn't start her on premium food until I found RDN.

And here she is just turned 12 and quite healthy but for hip and elbow arthritis well managed with medication. Would she be any different if she had been fed premium food from day 1? Who knows.

Forever my special angels.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Out of the same line (5 generations) of Rottys I have personally know, one is currently still living and is 16 years old, but not doing very well from old age, her days on earth are sadly numbered. Another two are 12 years old. I consider myself very lucky in this breed to actually know quite a few who, lived to be over 11.
Brinabear

Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Novice Member

thats some going ,one of mine hit 11,i thought that was good.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM

When I was a kid, my parents kept two rottweilers (and were backyard breeders). The female, Raven, died pretty young (I think she was four or so), but the male, Rocky, was 12 when we put him to sleep. He was an outside dog that was not on heartworm prevention (in mosquito infested South Carolina) or vaccinated, and was intact his whole life. He was fed "Joy" dog food. My dad put him to sleep in May 1995. I have very fond memories of good old Rocky.

JBG's It's Clobberin' Time CGC|RN|TDInc
"Clyde"
4/2006-12/26/2012

Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 AM

wow 15 years!!! Well done

Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 PM

WOW!!!

I sure hope to have Tavi that long!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 PM

my brother has a German shephed X he is almost 15 and still acts like a puppy, he has 2 other dogs in the home and Max plays all the time, my brother said the real change in him is he doesnt run off after animals anymore, he will cuddle with the kitties and carry them in his mouth like the mom, for my brothers sake I hope he lives for a while longer Max was his first dog and he has no kids and is single so his dogs are his life