Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Bitter apple not working !

Hello all,

I recently purchased two bottles of Grannick's bitter apple and sprayed it generously on things my dog likes to chew like the crate cushion, floormat etc.

The problem is it does not seem to have any effect at all and she continues chewing on the things that I've sprayed.

Is there something i'm doing wrong or is my dog immune or something ??

Thanks !!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Re: Bitter apple not working !

Some dogs actually like or don't mind the spray. You may have to try a different technique. If your puppy is continuing to chew on the crate mat or whatever, just take it out. Puppy will be fine on just the crate pan. Just be sure to leave toys and stuff in there to chew on. Some dogs never get over the chewing of bedding or mats in their crates.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Valued Member

Some dogs aren't put off by the taste of bitter apple. Clearly, your dog is one of these.

How old is your dog? It's better to prevent the dog from chewing in the first place by puppy- or dog-proofing the area in which the dog spends time, giving the dog only things the dog can chew, leashing the dog to you so you can watch the dog, and crating the dog in an empty crate when you can't watch the dog.

Giving the dog a job to do also helps, as does physical exercise. A tired dog is often more interested in napping than chewing.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM

My dog actually loves the taste of Bitter Apple, and this other stuff called Fooey. So I just don't buy it. I kept my receipts, returned the product and the store sales person was shocked that my puppy loved the taste of it. She said she's never had someone come back and say that it didn't work. I guess there is always a first.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM

My Rottie LOVES Bitter Apple. I would have returned the bottle, but since my other dog hated it, it was still useful....
Alainn-9yr Calico cat
Punkin-RIP 11/1/200-3/21/2010
Church-14yr Black Cat
and the husband Nick

Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbrevertal7 View Post
I recently purchased two bottles of Grannick's bitter apple and sprayed it generously on things my dog likes to chew like the crate cushion, floormat etc.

The problem is it does not seem to have any effect at all and she continues chewing on the things that I've sprayed.
The proper procedure with bitter apple is first to create a negative association with the taste. If this is not done many dogs will ignore it and continue chewing. Take some fabric, maybe an old sock and soak it in bitter apple. Get a secure hold of the dog. You may want two people for this. Put the sock in the dogs mouth and clamp it shut. The dog will resist and struggle to move his head and spit it out. Do not allow him to do this and keep holding him for five minutes. You can repeat this procedure the next day. After this you can start using bitter apple on things you don't want the dog to chew.

I'd give it a try in your case even though your dog has already been introduced to it improperly.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Hi there....my Arthur also was one of those dogs that loved bitter apple. He also loved Tabasco sauce.

For what it's worth, PLEASE do not do what the above post, Butcher's Dog 2, recommended. Not only will you lose your dog's trust, become a bully, but also that is incredibly dangerous! There is no reason at all to risk choking your dog in this manner. Grrrrr....:( Makes me sick, to be honest!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Bitter apple didnt work for my pup either. So I put a dab (small small amount) of tabasco hot sauce on the edge of my bed frame and after one lick of that she has never placed her mouth on the bed frame ever since!!

Not sure if hot sauce is damaging or harmful to a dog but this is a technique my parents used on our two german shepards when I was growing up..

Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice's mommy View Post
For what it's worth, PLEASE do not do what the above post, Butcher's Dog 2, recommended. Not only will you lose your dog's trust, become a bully, but also that is incredibly dangerous!

I agree 100%. The sales person will instruct you to spray a little amount on the dog's tongue, when this was done, mine still loved the taste. this was prior to me spraying it on the edge of the cupboard when she was a puppy. Your dog either loves the taste or hates it, there's really no way to properly introduce it. But that's JMO!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice's mommy View Post
Hi there....my Arthur also was one of those dogs that loved bitter apple. He also loved Tabasco sauce.

For what it's worth, PLEASE do not do what the above post, Butcher's Dog 2, recommended. Not only will you lose your dog's trust, become a bully, but also that is incredibly dangerous! There is no reason at all to risk choking your dog in this manner. Grrrrr....:( Makes me sick, to be honest!
I agree - you want your dog to trust you, respect you, not look at you as a bully. Forcing the dog to do things doesn't build any trust whatsoever. Like Alice's mommy said, it could also be very dangerous.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
Some dogs aren't put off by the taste of bitter apple. Clearly, your dog is one of these.

How old is your dog? It's better to prevent the dog from chewing in the first place by puppy- or dog-proofing the area in which the dog spends time, giving the dog only things the dog can chew, leashing the dog to you so you can watch the dog, and crating the dog in an empty crate when you can't watch the dog.

Giving the dog a job to do also helps, as does physical exercise. A tired dog is often more interested in napping than chewing.
I would tend to agree with AngelBunny - just keep your dog away from things you don't want her to chew...my guy lost kennell blanket privileges for some time (bitter apple didn't work for him either) but now that he's older, and has some good chew toys he rarely chews anything.

The thing about chewing is that yes it ruins your things but it in doing so, your dog might choke on something or swallow something that causes a blockage which can be fatal.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher'sDog2 View Post
Take some fabric, maybe an old sock and soak it in bitter apple. Get a secure hold of the dog. You may want two people for this. Put the sock in the dogs mouth and clamp it shut. The dog will resist and struggle to move his head and spit it out. Do not allow him to do this and keep holding him for five minutes. You can repeat this procedure the next day.
Wow....is this what you do to your dogs, who by your own words in other threads, you're arguing that you prefer them to make their own decisions? Hasn't this dog made its own decision to chew the crate pad? I guess once they figure out they're supposed to make their own decisions, it's no wonder you need to resort to such violence to change their mind once again.

Furthermore, you recommend this with such conviction without any information on the dog in question, other than it's chewing the crate mat? Without asking a single question? Is this dog 8 weeks old? 6 months old? 12 years old? Is the dog healthy? What other methods has the OP tried to condition the desired behavior?

A quick search reveals that the dog is 10 months old and has severe hip dysplasia. Could it be that chewing is the only pastime this dog can really enjoy? Has the OP made sure to provide and encourage the dog to chew acceptable items (fresh bones, nylabones, etc.)? Has the OP made any effort at all to redirect chewing behavior to appropriate items? Does the dog know and truly understand the "Leave it" command?

What you recommend is abusive.

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Wow !!

Thanks to all who have replied.

My dog just turned a year old and yes she does have severe HD. We however take her for three walks daily and leave her on the terrace for sometime where she runs like crazy with my other rott.

We also have a lot of chewies that are kept near the crate at all times. She however loves to chew on cloth and pillows for some reason.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Wow....is this what you do to your dogs, who by your own words in other threads, you're arguing that you prefer them to make their own decisions? Hasn't this dog made its own decision to chew the crate pad? I guess once they figure out they're supposed to make their own decisions, it's no wonder you need to resort to such violence to change their mind once again.

Furthermore, you recommend this with such conviction without any information on the dog in question, other than it's chewing the crate mat? Without asking a single question? Is this dog 8 weeks old? 6 months old? 12 years old? Is the dog healthy? What other methods has the OP tried to condition the desired behavior?

A quick search reveals that the dog is 10 months old and has severe hip dysplasia. Could it be that chewing is the only pastime this dog can really enjoy? Has the OP made sure to provide and encourage the dog to chew acceptable items (fresh bones, nylabones, etc.)? Has the OP made any effort at all to redirect chewing behavior to appropriate items? Does the dog know and truly understand the "Leave it" command?

What you recommend is abusive.
ROFL

I thought that destructive chewing costing hundreds of dollars is kind of abusive to the owner.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher'sDog2 View Post
ROFL

I thought that destructive chewing costing hundreds of dollars is kind of abusive to the owner.
right - it can be, but there are so many other ways to teach a dog not to chew than to hold it's mouth shut and being a bully.