Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2001, 11:55 PM

Tabasco Sauce Bad or Good

Someone told me tabasco sauce was just like gunpowder to dogs and it would make them mean but then i read in a book that you can use tabasco sauce to help redirect your puppy's chewing. Should i take the book's advise and use it or not? Somebody please help me because i don't want to do anything to change my puppy's temperment.

Old 08-22-2001, 12:10 AM

Well....temperament is at least 50% genetic; and whomever told you that gunpowder or tabasco sauce would make them "mean" is nothing less than an idiot. Ignore that person and their "advice" forever.

Now....

I have real issues with people using tabasco sauce, red pepper or any of the other spices to deter a dog from any behavior.

A dogs sense of smell is a GREAT DEAL more powerful than ours....they rely on that sense for many things.......it's beyond me why anyone would even CONSIDER (much less put in print in an actual published book as if they knew what they were talking about enough to even write that book!) potential damage to a mucus membrane such as the nose and nasal passages instead of TRAINING and CONDITIONING a dog like a responsible, HUMANE human being.

Save the spices for chili and tacos...and train the dog. I have no respect AT ALL for anyone who would use spices for deterrance and call it "teaching".