Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 PM

Powdered lime to dissolve poop?

Hey guys,

For the new house, I'm going to screen off an area of the yard for Athena to use the bathroom. (You can see the entire yard from the living room's floor to ceiling windows, and I'd people to focus on my flowers, not her poop.)
It'll be about 8x10, so to help out with keeping it clean, I thought about scattering lime every once in awhile to speed up dissolution and keep her from stepping in anything. She's pretty finicky about anyway, but I thought it might also help control the smell in the summer.

Any ideas on this? Will it work? Will it harm her paws if she happens to step in the powdered lime? Alternative suggestions?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Re: Powdered lime to dissolve poop?

Easy fix - pick up her poop - dispose of it in a back corner of the yard - THEN cover with dirt and lime - out of the reach of the dog.

Or you can do what we do - we scoop poop daily, dump into a metal can with a heavy duty bag in it, then weekly put the bag out with the trash - and off the dump it goes!

We scoop for 5 large dogs here - LOTS of poop!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 PM

We clean up after our dogs daily and have only used powdered lime (which I've read is ONLY powdered limestone rock) to help neutralize urine odors in the summer between kennel cleanings each day. It hadn't hurt our dogs paws but I was always careful to sprinkle it into the run after removing them, let it absorb the urine odors for awhile and then sprayed it out before sweeping. I've never used it on dirt.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

We have a trash bag lined poop bucket as well (cat sand buckets with lids work wonderfully), and it goes out with the weekly trash. Our garbage men love us. lol. Poop scoopers can be found online or in most pet stores.

Lime can be used, but if you do this, use a corner of the backyard, and bury it with the lime so the dogs aren't walking in it, as it can burn their paws.

We use a Wysiwash gun to eliminate those pleasant odors and disinfect the yard. It won't burn the grass or plants and effectively sanitizes instantly.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Valued Member

rather than using lyme which does burn, try ridex (sp). this product uses natural enzymes to break down flushable matter in septic tanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Yes lime can burn their paws. Why not just pick up the poop and dispose of it. The longer the poop stays around the more it will smell.

I have 4 dogs here and I do a poop pick up morning and evening every day.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Valued Member

I put the poop in with my trash bags when I take them from the house to the cans. I like to leave treats for any identity thieves who might be looking through my garbage.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
I put the poop in with my trash bags when I take them from the house to the cans. I like to leave treats for any identity thieves who might be looking through my garbage.
Now that's funny! If someone wants to try to steal our identity they can have it - and the accompanying debt because that's all they'll get as our credit sucks <LOL>!!

Seriously though - picking up the poop and treating it in one spot, out of sight, is probably better than having white spots on your lawn from the lime...

Cover the poop with lime and dirt and every day, when you go to add more poop to the pile, add more lime and dirt and use a pitchfork or rake to work it into the ground. In the spring/summer, add your weeds from the garden to the pile and in a year you'll have some really nice dirt for the garden!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Valued Member

The dirt is great for flower gardens, but I don't know if it is wise to use for veggies.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe's dad View Post
The dirt is great for flower gardens, but I don't know if it is wise to use for veggies.
Oh no...not veggies...we don't do veggies in our garden - its like growing expensive rabbitand deer food- ha ha!