Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Lightbulb Rottweiler attacks

We have all heard tragic news of rotties attacking humans, other dogs, etc. This is why when we got our puppy 6 weeks ago people who are not familiar with the breed kinda said, "Whoa, you got a ROTTWEILER...aren't those mean?" I even had someone say, "Really, that's a REAL rottweiler?" (as opposed to a fake one? I don't know!). So, I've had the conversation with several people of "any dog is potentially harmful unless well trained". But how do I answer back to those people who say, "Well, if that's the case, how come you never hear of a Golden Retriever or a Poodle mauling a child or it's owner for that matter?" My response of course was that there is so much hype about rotties and pit bulls that when there is an attack it's all over the news, of course this answer is still not good enough. The other thing I try to explain is that I am sure several people get rotties without having any knowledge of the breed or the responsibility that goes along with it. I think that there are probably several people who have chosen this breed for the reason that they think it resembles being "tough" (as I look at my 14 week old who is sleeping on her back with all four legs in the air and snoring...tough??? HA!). This is a new breed for me (don't worry, LOTS of research before we got her, I've never had rotties but my husband has but even with that, I did my own research to form my own opinion about the breed and to become educated on my own about the breed) so I guess I am asking those of you who have more experience with the breed and have probably had the same questions asked of you one time or another, how would you answer the above questions?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Valued Member

Re: Rottweiler attacks

I usually tell them their ignorance is showing. They usually don't hang around running their mouths after that.
47,979 companion animals euthanized in NJ in 2003
49,975 in 2004, 40,706 in 2005
Report Abuse: NJSPCA 800-582-5979
BAN IRRESPONSIBILITY, NOT BREEDS

Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM

SAme goes with My American Bulldog they say he is a pit. I have nothing against pit bulls I just have never owned one myself, he has been attacked 3xs by my neighbors Golden retreiver, and they have the nerve to call AC on me and complain becuase I have #1 3 dogs (5 is law) #2 I have a rottweiler and a pit bull.... Lmao their sweet Golden isnt so sweet after all and after paying my vet bills they know it..

Any dog has the potentional to be dangerous if in the wrong hands and not properly trained I think people just sterotype Rottweilers, dobes and GSD becuase they seem them in movies attacking people

Also my husband has his theories about rottweilers before we got Gypsy, now he has changed I catch him playing with her all the time and that is something he doesnt do much, he even said he rather have a rottweiler then any other dog now that he has had the chance to see how great of a dog she is.. yes hse has her flaws but we are working on them..

Last edited by GypsysMom; 02-05-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 PM

I think you are doing wonderful in explaining the Rottie. I find the only way to TRY to convince skeptics is by my dogs behavior. A well mannered dog is always welcomed although some people just have a mental block about Rotties and there would be no convincing there. A friend of mine had a lab who savagely attacked her 3 yo son so go figure. He had 75 stitches in his face. Any dog is capable of this but the media is all over it when it's one of the feared breeds. I try to take my guy with me a lot and have people come over to him. I encourage it if I see them looking. He's sooooo cute! LOL, being out of my "prime", they're not coming to talk to me!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 PM

I have been lucky that everyone who has met my rotties loved them. But I always preface the meetings with saying "She's one of the nice ones." If people ever say to me that Rottweilers are mean I simply elaborate about the importance of getting a dog with a good temperament, then raising it with proper training and socialization, and then I point out that we had one that was too aggressive and we don't have her anymore so they can see how important it is to be a responsible owner of a Rottweiler.
I ramble on along those lines til they get the picture. I don't try to defend my decision to have one, I just say I love them and they are the best companions, and I list their comical traits and habits. Don't try to change their minds, just give them some information they can think about.

I went through a similar thing with my pet rats. I had to explain to horrified people that they were from a pet store and it was a fact that hamsters bite more people than pet rats.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Ancient Valued Member

ANY dog can bite. Any large dog can kill or maim. Actually as far as bite NUMBERS go, labs are near the top. Within the last couple years a lab just about removed the face off a kid in Mass. 2 Boxers trashed a Jogger in Northern NH and we used to board a GOLDEN that would attack any child it could
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Our vet tech said that in all the years he has worked in animal clinics the worst bite was from a golden retreiver. It lunged up at him and bit him in the throat.
I just tell people that Sheena was the smartest most loving dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. It's all about how you raise your Rottie. Be a responsible owner and protect them. Love and respect them and they will love and respect you. As most everyone here can tell you the bond between you and your Rottie furkid can be one of the strongest you will experience in your life.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 PM

The best response to questions like that is to have a well-behaved, well-socialized dog. Some people will never change their minds, but for many people "seeing is believing."

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 PM

Our 5 month old won our mail carriers heart last week. She was delivering a priority package and as usual we had our pup sit and stay while the door was being answered. When the door was opened the poor ladie almost freaked out when she saw our dog. She said, "oh no, a ROTTWEILER. I hate Rottweilers and Pit Bulls". She took 5 steps back while saying this. My wife told her that ours was a calm, friendly guy. I was very proud of Kazi, he never moved a bit while all this was going on. My wife asked if the mail carrier would like to pet him. She thought about it for a second and then agreed. Kazi moved slowly towards her and in 30 seconds she was going on and on about how "beautiful" and "well behaved" he was. It made me fell good that all the hours of training and working with him paid off, even for just a minute with one person.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 AM

BUt the sad thing is nobody hears on the news about a lab or a golden attacking animals and /or people we only hear about rottweilers and pit bulls and the worlkd should be aware there are more then thgose 2 breeds that do damage...

Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Novice Member

I think we have all experienced negative views towards our dogs. Walking downtown Kingston Ont, I have elderly ladies walking towards us and move into the alley way until we pass. People don't want to make eye contact with them and almost stand in fear if they are around him. I will take him into dog friendly stores for socializing, and hear comments behind my back like "They will anything come in here".

No one takes the time to stay and talk and just meet him. This is a dog who has every obedience certificate out there. Temperment, Good neighboor and Therapy dogs tests. IT doesn't matter to people. They see him, the breed he is and the size, and all the negative views of society rushes into their minds. I have had people who are so ignorant of dogs that they don't even know what a Rottweiler looks like. They will come up and pet Xander, and when they ask what kind he is and I say Rottweiler, they stop petting him, look at me with shock, say "oh..." and try to smile as they walk away. I have people with other dogs walk on the same side of the street as us and once they see us, they cross over to the other side, and here I am thinking "You know what...my dog is probably better behaved than yours." I just want to bitch them out (sorry....I feel like I'm venting here, I apologize)

If someone does take the time to stop and meet him, I explain everything he is about. I encourage them to pet him, even sit on the floor so he will sit in their lap. I tell them he goes to Doggie Daycare where he plays with all types of dogs. I try my hardest towards those people who are unsure about the breed to reassure them. I tell them that any dog can be dangerous if made to be so. I could take any breed of dog and make it mean...the reason I know HOW to, is because I know how NOT to.

You can explain to them what Rotties were first used for, that they are a working breed and they live to please and work for their owner. And if that working drive is not directed in the right direction or if that need is not met, that is where troubles can come about. The reason you hear about Rotti/Pitty attacks is beacuse of their strength (AND society's fear of them). They do a hell of alot more damage than a retreiver would. I take time to research these statistics, so that when asked, I can have facts to tell people, for example that the Number One Biter in Canada is the Lab; not the rotti, not the pitty, not GSD or Doberman. That's where us, the responsible Rotti owners, have to be be the examples and carry the responsibility of showing and trying to turn around societies views of this amazing dog.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharman 2004 View Post
people who are not familiar with the breed kinda said, "Whoa, you got a ROTTWEILER...aren't those mean?"
Dogs don't behave out of "spite".
Quote:
"Really, that's a REAL rottweiler?"
No, just a black and tan lab. [/quote]

I emphasize that most people shouldn't own one, they take a lot of work, strong leadership, and arent' for the inexperienced. In some cases makeing too good of an impression, makes people want to get one, just cuz your's is so good. My boy took a lot of work. Anyone that knows Rotts, and knew mine as a pup, would agree "in the wrong hands, he could have been a disaster" I get complimented on how well he turned out, and lemme tell you it took a LOT of patience. You don't have to convince and argue with everyone. Just make sure YOU are a responsible owner, YOU fully understand the liability and are honest with yourself what kind of training it takes to raise one into our society.

You'll ALWAYS get the static, and that will never go away as long as the media keeps painting certain breeds as "evil". If you havn't noticed, the media likes to play on people's fears, regardless of what the actual topic is. In response, governments and municipalities want to portray themselves as being active to "protect you the public", with irrational bills like BSL.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Last edited by Forum Staff; 02-06-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Surprisingly enough, I spend more time convincing people that rotties aren't for everyone than I do trying to convince them that they are great dogs.

Emmy wins just about everyone over that she meets, so I tell people that she has been going to training class since she was 4mos old (that is when we got her) and now she is 4 1/2 yrs old and still going. It takes work, work, more work and lots of patience. That tends to make people stop and think! :grin:

Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I think we have all experienced negative views towards our dogs. Walking downtown Kingston Ont, I have elderly ladies walking towards us and move into the alley way until we pass. People don't want to make eye contact with them and almost stand in fear if they are around him. I will take him into dog friendly stores for socializing, and hear comments behind my back like "They will anything come in here".

No one takes the time to stay and talk and just meet him. This is a dog who has every obedience certificate out there. Temperment, Good neighboor and Therapy dogs tests. IT doesn't matter to people. They see him, the breed he is and the size, and all the negative views of society rushes into their minds. I have had people who are so ignorant of dogs that they don't even know what a Rottweiler looks like. They will come up and pet Xander, and when they ask what kind he is and I say Rottweiler, they stop petting him, look at me with shock, say "oh..." and try to smile as they walk away. I have people with other dogs walk on the same side of the street as us and once they see us, they cross over to the other side, and here I am thinking "You know what...my dog is probably better behaved than yours." I just want to bitch them out (sorry....I feel like I'm venting here, I apologize)

If someone does take the time to stop and meet him, I explain everything he is about. I encourage them to pet him, even sit on the floor so he will sit in their lap. I tell them he goes to Doggie Daycare where he plays with all types of dogs. I try my hardest towards those people who are unsure about the breed to reassure them. I tell them that any dog can be dangerous if made to be so. I could take any breed of dog and make it mean...the reason I know HOW to, is because I know how NOT to.

You can explain to them what Rotties were first used for, that they are a working breed and they live to please and work for their owner. And if that working drive is not directed in the right direction or if that need is not met, that is where troubles can come about. The reason you hear about Rotti/Pitty attacks is beacuse of their strength (AND society's fear of them). They do a hell of alot more damage than a retreiver would. I take time to research these statistics, so that when asked, I can have facts to tell people, for example that the Number One Biter in Canada is the Lab; not the rotti, not the pitty, not GSD or Doberman. That's where us, the responsible Rotti owners, have to be be the examples and carry the responsibility of showing and trying to turn around societies views of this amazing dog.

A male lab can do just as much damage as a Rottweiler if it has the notion to do so. They have very large and powerful jaws and are quite a strong dog.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Valued Member

Ask them what breed of dog tore off the face of the French woman that had the face transplant. When they say that they don't know, tell them it was a lab. Then ask them why THAT wasn't reported widely. The reason it wasn't reported widely is becase it WAS a lab and not a rottweiler or pit bull.
When a person or child gets bit by one of those, "Friendly" breeds, the assumption is that the person did something to cause the bite. But when a person/child is bite by one of the "dangerous" breeds, the assumption is that the person/child is completely innocent and the dog did the bite BECAUSE it is a dangerous breed. Unfortunately it is human psyhcology. It is news when a rott or pit bull "attacks" because it reinforces what the public believes to be true. Attacks by labs and goldens don't get the press because it isn't reported to the press by the bite victim. often the bite victim (because they got bit) is embarrassed. But a bite victim of one of "those" breeds is not embarrassed because it is assumed that it is entirely the fault of the dog due to the breed.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD