Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 PM

How much cold weather can a Rottie take?

With the current freeze sweeping through most of the US a timely topic is how cold can it get before a Rottie starts to suffer?

I live in Houston so it rarely gets too cold here, but right now its about 35 degrees and raining outside. My dog is in an enclosed studio space in the back of the house, but it's not very well-insulated or climate controlled. It stays probably 8-10 degrees warmer than it is outside. Even so, I don't want him out there too long and I'll be bringing him into the house (as always) when I get home from work.

But does anyone know: do Rotties (or dogs, for that matter) have warmer blood than humans? Is he a lot more comfortable in cold weather than I am?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Re: How much cold weather can a Rottie take?

Regardless of the temperature outside, our dogs (in CT) are in the house unless we are outside with them - they're usually asleep on our bed or the sofa .

If it is very hot/humid they are outside for potty and then back inside. If really cold they potty and we do a little playing but *I* don't tolerate cold weather very well so we don't stay out too long - only exception is SNOW as they get the SNOW ZOOMIES and run like maniacs!

I know they don't tolerate heat very well due to their coat color...I can't imagine they'd tolerate long exposures to cold weather very well either as they're a shorter coated breed.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM

Re: How much cold weather can a Rottie take?

Dogs tolerate cold fairly well, but prolonged exposure with out shelter is
certainly a concern. Its sounds like they have shelter, but Rotties coats are not like the malamutes or huskies. Hypothermia can be an issue with prolonged exposure.

A dog's core temperature is warmer than ours, but it is not a factor i would consider in your dogs ability to take the cold. Conditioning, coat type, body fat can all play a role. Their ears and nose are vulnerable to frost bite.

Im in minnesota and most dogs seem comfortable playing when its 10 degrees out. The short coated dogs will shiver unless they have man made coats and have had a chance to warm up.

Shelter is a good thing to have if you are leaving them out.
Double coats besides if they get really wet they will freeze in the cold.

i have seen labs lay in the ice comfortably but they have a high pain threshold. It may be that they can damage themselves before they extricate themselves the cold.

Common rule of thumb is, if you are wearing a winter coat and you are cold, it is likely that you dog is as well. Dogs do not always show signs of
discomfort as we do, so it is better to ere on the safe side

Just my opinion.