Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Coyote Concerns

They are widespread here in Massachusetts, and have been attacking cats and small dogs, it's in the news practically everyday. Our property borders a strip of woodland/wetlands, and I have seen coyotes out there a few times, following the deer. We have a fenced in area for Troodie, one side is 6 ft spruce panel fence, and the rest is 5 ft metal wire fence. Troodie is not a jumper, she has a bum leg anyway, so I never worry about her getting out. She is up to date on all shots, especially rabies.
There was a coyote right in out backyard a few weeks ago, he had come out of the woods. Troodie bark ferociously and scared it off. My concern is that a possibly rabid coyote might decide to leap the fence and attack her. Far-fetched, I know, but a rabid animal is an insane animal. Will she be able to hold her own against it?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Re: Coyote Concerns

First I would make sure she isn't left out over night or even unsupervised during the day. Second, I am not exactly sure how big a coyote is, but since I usually hear of them getting cats and smaller dogs, I would assume that they wouldn't even want to mess with a dog the size of a rottweiler. By keeping her inside unless being watched by you (or another family member/friend) and making sure she is up to date on vaccines, she should be fine.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 AM

ONE coyote would not attack, but they work in packs and surround their prey. The concern is that I would not let your dog loose too far from you if you walk in the wooded area. If possible, walk with a few other people, maybe a few other dogs. I wouldn't put it past them to surround a child or a small woman.

I would really not be confortable with coyotes living close by.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM

He was pretty big, looked to me to be about Shepherd-sized in height and length. Troodie is never loose, ever, always fenced in, and never overnight. But I will not leave her in the yard without keeping an eye on her.
I'm thinking of making a pile of good-sized stones on my back deck, to scare the coyote away with, by throwing them near him, not at him!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Valued Member

We've got them in the woods behind our house. I never give them a second thought. I saw one that was the size of a husky awhile ago.

I like listenning to them at night.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Valued Member

We have some shepherd sized coyotes here, too. Very intimidating! Don't underestimate them, they have "street smarts" a domesticated dog can't hold a candle to.

I've known two dogs (small) that were killed and eaten in their backyard, with a 6 foot chainlink fence. Coyotes simply climb it, and when we arrived there they were lounging very casually digesting their meal. No amount of yelling or throwing things had one iota of effect on them. They are brazen, to say the least.

I would not risk an encounter between your dog and coyotes. If you put up an additional 18-24" piece on the top of your entire fence perimeter that is set at a 45 degree angle OUTWARD, they will not be able to climb over it.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Ancient Valued Member

New England Coyote females average 25-45lbs and males 40-70 lbs. Most females are between large fox and medium Lab in height because they are leggy. Most males are Brittney to small shepherd in height

In general a healthy well fed coyote will not bother a large dog or adult human. Small dogs and cats are viewed as natural prey items though

I would simply not allow the dog out unsupervised if the fence is under 6' in height just in case (and I mean that regarding any wild animal intrusion possibility)
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Valued Member

I've never heard of a rabid coyote. But a couple of years ago my GSD and Border Collie were attacked by a doe in my front yard. You've always got to be ready for some type of encounter.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Any wild animal can be rabid, can't they? Is any one species immune to the disease? - I dont' think so.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Valued Member

Not quite, most mammals can get rabies, although certain species are more prone to the disease than others. Birds can't get it, nor can most reptiles (imagine a rabid alligator).

We've had some serious problems here in Maine, but it seems to hit raccoons, skunks, foxes, and bats for the most part.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:50 PM

We have coyotes in our neck of the woods also, but I have only seen them dead on the side of the road. They are about the size of a shepherd.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 PM

We have wolves, coyote, bear and moose. I see wolves crossing the lake in front of my house. I have a 1/2 acre fenced off for my dogs. They are NEVER out there without me. I almost always carry a noise maker.( a gun) Or it is very close by.
Moose and Bear have both come through the fence. Leaving large gaps. I walk it each time before I turn my guys loose to run and play.
At night my dogs are limited to my deck and a large pen with 6 foot fences. And still only when I am home. You can not be to careful. A domestic dog has not a chance with a wild carnivore. Be it one or a pack.
The suggestion to reconfigure your fencing by Moondog is a good one.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:26 PM

I live in pennsylvania, we go camping in the mountains and have had a few encounters with Coyotes. They are very Brave and cunning they can also be sneaky. Coyotes are like lions, they have 'nomads' or loners that go by themselves and a nomad can have a very large range of territory, By your description of what happened I think you have encountered a nomad (as they are more common than packs) but I'm not sure. We've had them try to sneak into our campsite and steal our food (doing something like an army type crawl) never more than one though. what you definalty have to watch out for are the injured or old coyotes, these would probably be more likely to attack. because they have no pack to rely on and are desperate for food. While I don't put it past a pack to attack an intruder dog. (coyotes are consider part of the dog family and sometimes breed with domestic dogs)
I'll give you some links to coyote infromation.

Coyote Information

Coyote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this helps some..

Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 PM

We have lots of coyotes up here in BC, they are quite small though, smaller than my 55 pound border collie. We often see them out on walks. They are curious and sometimes howl at us. I have never seen a pack of them but I do know they will often send a female out alone to attract a small dog and then the pack will attack. It would have to be a ballsy coyote to attack a rott double it's size. The coyotes around here prefer to eat cats and outdoor cats don't last long. It's the cougars you have to watch out for, I have heard of a cougar taking a 90 pound rottie in front of the owner.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM

15 years ago I was witness to a coyote taunting my dog (German shorthair pointer). Despite my yelling, my dog chased the coyote over a hill. On the other side of the hill the rest of the pack was waiting to attack. Lucky for us my dog was young, fast, and smart. She turned around ASAP and got away from them with only a 4" gash down her side. These were lean Coyotes and they were probably starving to attempt such a thing with a 70lb dog. However, they can be very dangerous and all caution should be used.