Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 PM

Talking Ground cover for outside kennels

For those of you that have outside runs/kennels for your dogs, what do you put on the ground?

I have outside kennels for the fosters (trust me, I hate it but because of this they actually get more time from me than my own dogs do). There is wire on the ground since some of them have at times tried to dig out. They are all on the ground (dirt, used to be grass). I also use cedar chips.

In one in particular, the ground and the wire are not a perfect fit, could be because the foster paces too much, so I'm trying to come up w/something to put in there.

I had someone suggest building a floor w/wood and treating it with water sealant stuff like they use on decks, that sounds good to me.

A friend that helps me wants to put the hardwood mulch down in the particular kennel. He's about the only person I have to help me and everything I suggest he comes up w/something else (after all, I am a female... ).

I've also thought about the white stones that some people use.

Anyway, feedback, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

~BTW, I just set up 2 (5 crates total) additional crates in my house, if you come visit and look real closely, you ~might~ find a loveseat in the LR and even see my twin bed (if possible, under either Sooner or Bella), no kitchen table as there is a crate in there as well. I've downsized almost everything I can think of to make room for all these dogs...

This past summer I had fans rigged up for my outside kennels so they weren't bad, but come winter time, my house will be a full house as I don't have anyway to keep them warm enough. ~

Thanks for your input,
Kathy

Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM

Re: Ground cover for outside kennels

WE have a dog run for Gunner, because he loves the outdoors, but we dont have a fence. HE has not really tried to dig out, so ours is jsut covered with driveway gravel.

If you think they might eat the rocks, I would go for the wood, but check the sealant to make sure it is okay for the dogs, or let it sit for awhile.

You could also get smaller pea gravel as well.

We are thinking of making Gunner a little wooden platform that he can lay on-like a bed and stratch it with cartpet too, so he wont have to lay on the unconfortable rocks.

You can also lay down bricks or 4''x4'' wood along the outside edges of the run to help with digging.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Hi Susan,

"Pea Gravel", that's what the white stones I was think is...

The one kennel does have 4"x 4"s around it, but they were still digging in it.

My Pit foster, had a wooden platform, but has chewed most of it up.

urgh...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Ground cover for outside kennels

What about cement slabs? They are probably on sale now in most gardening centres and hardwear stores. Not sure how big your runs are or how many you would need?...but it would be better than mud.

How many dogs are you caring for?? Please don't take this the wrong way....I know you are wanting to save them all....but it sounds to me like you are turning your home into a shelter. It's so easy to go down the slippery slope...and you end up with more dogs than you can comfortably take care of.

Your own dogs must take priority. Living in a small space crowded with crates, and playing musical dogs is not a great way to live.
Please remember there will always be too many to save. You must learn to say "no"....and give the best care to the dogs in your home at the moment.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Gina,

I know... that's why there are no more coming till the current ones are adopted. Two are getting fixed this week and then I will begin to push their adoption status.

I have 4 dogs of my own and 4 fosters.

Two of my fosters will probably wind up being longer term as they have issues.

After the last "issue" dog came to live with me, I learned to say "no", so now when another one shows, I help with the emailing and phone calling, but personally I know I can't save them all.

I honestly didn't realize I could buy concrete slabs, I thought I had to have concrete poured and that's not feasible since their location isn't permanent.

Even though I say the ground is dirt and when it rains there is mud, trust me, it's not mostly mud. They are all covered and they have numerous places out of the rain and where it's dry.

Kathy

Old 09-19-2006, 03:22 PM

We were looking into making a walkway along the side of our garage and considered using the cement "tile"...most home repair stores carry cement tile.....the largest we saw were 2 foot by 2 foot (and about 2 inches thick)and the smallest were 1 foot by 1 foot. You could lay those down with sides touching. Seems like that would be pretty escape proof and easy to clean/ install. Good luck with your dogs. Sounds like you have your hands full!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:39 PM

I've seen patio slabs in the paper, sometimes even offered for FREE! Check that out. I know some that have poured concrete down as the base, makes for easy clean up, hose it away. Either way, they cannot dig into concrete/cement.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 PM

fostermom and groupieindenial,

I'll check into those. I suppose if I was ever a gardener or someone that did much landscaping, I'd have known about that!

thanks,
Kathy

Old 09-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMc View Post
Gina,
I honestly didn't realize I could buy concrete slabs, I thought I had to have concrete poured and that's not feasible since their location isn't permanent.
Hi Kathy,
We have a kennel run in the backyard for the furkids. I use it to harness 2 when I'm training with the 3rd and it is very handy when we have company....as the furkids are in their own surroundings and "young children" cannot torment them...yet, they are outside with everyone and having a good ole time. We actually used 12 x 12 cement blocks as the ground cover....perfect fit up to the edges of the kennel. It has worked out great as we have no digging issues and it is very easy to clean, i.e., just hose it down. Since my guys don't really stay out there very long it has been a perfect set up. It also allows them to be cool on a hot day, as the concrete feels good against their skin. I've also seen bricks, rock and pea gravel used...all of these are durable and long lasting. Good luck with your new project!
Angels Watching Over Us
^Samson^^Sasha^^Moses^^Tuxedo^
**You will forever hold a piece of my heart**

Old 09-19-2006, 04:02 PM

Okay, I'll be looking around for those the next few days. Should I treat the ground w/anything before putting them down?

Old 09-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMc View Post
Okay, I'll be looking around for those the next few days. Should I treat the ground w/anything before putting them down?
We raked it to level it, poured sand and then just dropped the 12 x 12 blocks into place. My DH also locked them in by putting sand in between the crevices where the blocks join. This helps to keep the blocks from moving...that way when our gang is running in circles the blocks stay in place...our kennel run is about (a mere guess on my part as it is custom built and not standard) 18' x 6'. We did it in about 2 hours...hope that helps...it was one of those early Sat morn projects....

Kathy, we also used a green covering for the top that helps to shade the kennel. It was about $20 for our entire kennel when we replaced it this year....you can get it at a local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe's.
Angels Watching Over Us
^Samson^^Sasha^^Moses^^Tuxedo^
**You will forever hold a piece of my heart**

Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledbabies3 View Post
We did it in about 2 hours...hope that helps...it was one of those early Sat morn projects....

Kathy, we also used a green covering for the top that helps to shade the kennel. It was about $20 for our entire kennel when we replaced it this year....you can get it at a local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe's.
That's the worse thing about not having a SO to help around the house, instead I have to wait on others to help, or struggle to do it by myself...

They all have good tarps on them (shade) with built in portions to keep them from being flat. I sent out a wish list to people that keep asking me what they can do (buy, $$) and that's one of my requests, is to get new tarps for the winter. (I'm planning on building covers for them so I can install outside ceiling fans, at least that's my "dream", but my helpers think I'm crazy).

Oh well....

Thanks for the advice, it always gives me more to think about!

Kathy

Old 09-19-2006, 08:52 PM

We use a stone, larger than pea gravel, it's a river stone so it's rounded, no sharp pointy parts. What I like about the stone is the urine goes through it and poop is very easy to pick up. In the summer the stone doesn't seem to hold the heat like a solid slab does.
Good luck
Niki

Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM

Thank goodness for friends - I have a friend that owns a dump truck and either tomorrow or Thursday he's supposed to bring me a load of either pea gravel or something along those lines. He had to come see what I needed and also to see if his vehicle can make it up my drive w/a load on it. (My drive is about 8/10ths of a mile, dirt, pretty steep and w/the recent rain, it's a gutted mess)

He doesn't see a problem, so hopefully (cross my fingers), I can have the kennels done this weekend. That'll be some stress off me and the dogs!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Old Timer

Have you ever heard of "cow pads"? These are HEAVY rubber type pads. They are 4x6 ft and very durable! All of my outside kennels have a pad in them. They are easy to clean,and being over 14 yrs old still have not been ruined from the rotties! Check out any farm supply store.