Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Rottie/Husky Questions

I was looking into getting a rottweiler mix, (I am a geneticist, and I believe in the hybrid vigor of mutts) and I saw the most adorable litter of Rottweiler/Husky mixes.

I researched a bunch about Huskies in the past, and decided not to get one because I kept reading that huskies even if they've spent their entire lives with you, will still run away given the opportunity. Meaning you can't play fetch with them unless they're on a very long leash etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the kind of personality a rottweiler/husky mix would have. I know the short answer is 'depends on the dog's temperment etc.' but any reason why this is/isn't a good idea would be helpful. The dog would get TONS and I mean TONS of exercise in the form of running. (3+miles 6days/wk) Thanks!

Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Re: Rottie/Husky Questions

I would think that if you would like to get a mutt that rescuing would be the best way to go. Then you could adopt an older mutt and know what temperment you would be getting.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM

The mix in question is a rescue.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 PM

I dont know anything about huskies but I am relieved to hear that you are rescuing and not supporting a BYB ! Does the rescue have the mother as well? I am assuming that they would get some of her temperment.

Sorry I cant help more.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Vintage Valued Member

I'd never heard that about Huskies. That they tend to run off like that. We have neighbors who've had Huskies exclusively for the past 10 years or so. And no one's "run off." Now, I don't dispute that you found it. I'm sure you did.

My neighbors, on the other hand have always worked their brood in agility. so there is heavy, consistant training involved. Having an accutate recall is possible, even with Huskies. In fact his dogs have a better (faster) recall than my girls!

Good luck with what you find out. My daughter researched Huskies extensively, and she would be the better one to ask. I'll talk to her later when she gets back from Philadelphia.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Yes, huskys like to RUN and RUN and RUN. They need to do it alot!!!! If it is WELL exercised regularly recall can be taught. For any sleding dog I would reccommed a LARGE fenced yard. A husky mixed with a Rottie, I have never met one. But I would think lots of obedience training would be a must, because it will be a powerful dog that may be difficult to train recall and loose leash walking.

Good luck,
Sara

Old 02-23-2006, 03:47 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Rottie/Husky Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzerain7
I was looking into getting a rottweiler mix, (I am a geneticist, and I believe in the hybrid vigor of mutts) and I saw the most adorable litter of Rottweiler/Husky mixes.

I researched a bunch about Huskies in the past, and decided not to get one because I kept reading that huskies even if they've spent their entire lives with you, will still run away given the opportunity. Meaning you can't play fetch with them unless they're on a very long leash etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the kind of personality a rottweiler/husky mix would have. I know the short answer is 'depends on the dog's temperment etc.' but any reason why this is/isn't a good idea would be helpful. The dog would get TONS and I mean TONS of exercise in the form of running. (3+miles 6days/wk) Thanks!
Unfortunatley, "hybrid vigor" is a myth.
If the Rottweiler part of the breed has HD or the Husky part of the breed has Pannus....then this pup could have HD ( and be crippled by the time it's 1 year of age) and be blind with Pannus by the age of 5.

I've seen many "mutts" or "mixed breeds"....come into the vet's with just as many problems as purebreds...being a mix can make them even more suseptable to genetic problems. Good breeders of purebreds work hard to control and rid their lines of genetic problems.

Huskies are one of top breeds for biting and have very strong prey drives. They also LOVE to run and to dig holes in the yard. They can jump a 6 foot fence with ease or climb it....no problems.

I board dogs for a living...and take care of many breeds....Huskies are one of the hardest breeds to take care of and I very rarely accept them...usually I give them one chance.

When you take on a mix puppy...it is really hard to know what the pup is going to turn out like. Adopting an older pup or mature dog is better...by then you really should know what they are like.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 02-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Hi Jazzerain,
I certainly applaud your decision to rescue, however if your primary concern is the health of your dog, despite your belief "in the hybrid vigor of mutts" you would likely be much better off with a purebred dog from a reputable, code of ethics breeder. This means that the breeder has done numerous health checks on both parent dogs, including eyes, heart, hips etc to try to minimize the risk of genetic problems in the offspring. Huskies and Rotts unfortunately suffer from some shared genetic problems and the parents of your rescue dogs were likely not screened for any health problems at all, including dominant traits that could be passed by only one parent. Just something to consider.

However, if your interest lies in rescuing an animal, purebred or mutt, it's a potluck either way, but you'll be better off keeping an open mind that setting your sights on a particular breed. Best of luck finding your new pup!
Kate

Coffee, CGC
Nugget, guinea pig, terrorized by anything that moves

~Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.~ Mark Twain

Old 02-23-2006, 06:19 PM

Wink Re: Rottie/Husky Questions

I've seen one litter in the past of a rottie husky mix. They looked like rotties and had ice blue eyes. The owner of the dog I knew said his mix may look like a rott except for the ice blue eyes but it had a husky's personality. I myself have had a samoyed/siberian husky mix that was the size of a large german shepherd and he was a wonderful dog. He lived 17 healthy years (no doubt due to good genetics in this case) but he definitely had the husky hard headness when it came to training and running. Even though I'd say he wasn't any more hard headed than my current rottie or alaskan malamute.

The huskies do have a HIGH prey drive my inlaws cats found that out when they let apache (my siberian mix that I once had) into their house and he chased their cats uner the bed. They also LOVE to dig.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Valued Member

As long as you can secure the dog (huskies can be excape artists) and can exercise the dog and it has sound nerve development I see no reason not the give this pup a go. It is a rescue so at least you can give it a shot and as long as the above points are taken care of you sound like a good home for it. Huskies do have high prey drive but then so do Rotts. Huskies as a rule are a superior hunter to a rott but who knows what you will get here. You can also strike the spitz breeds aloofness and hierachial desires but if you like this in a dog I'd say give it a go. If you get into training early you will greatly reduce the chances of problems. With such a dog you will need to train, train, train it.

As a rule look into spitz breeds and characteristics of rotts and if you like the pro's and cons of both then sounds like a dog for you.

Mick.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Vintage Valued Member

Well, for sure you are right! They do RUN, RUN, RUN!! I checked with folks on the Husky board. Apparently they are independent thinkers and just take off for no known reason. I asked my neighbors, and they knew too. She reminded me that most of the time they are in fenced areas, or quickly leashed. Our winter agility practice area is inside a barn. The summer area is fenced.

Gosh, if you like dog, then do like you said. Keep a long lead on for fetch, etc.

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 02-23-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 PM

Husky's are quite the bred! The wife and I had a team of 6 for years. The last one passed on 2 yrs ago. Great dogs. Smart problem solvers. Independent but can be very affectionite. Never had one "run" off but their boundry's are horizon to horizon given the chance. Strong prey drive but all left the cats (ours) alone. The chickens are another storey. I won't go into Rott's. Love em and will get another when the times right. This rescue could be a fantastic dog. It could also be one dog that will keep you VERY busy. Guess it depends on which of the breds different traits shine thru. Both breds are smart and workable but Husky's do have an "I don't NEED you attitude". I'd take a chance on it!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Valued Member

There is a rottie x husky mix in the flyball club where we take lessons. She has lovely blue eyes.

Her recall seems absoloutely fine and she's in pretty good shape. I'm not sure her owner runs with her.

As for running, I take Bear with me just about every day and we average 30k a week. I talked to some mushers about dogs and running since their dogs run a lot. They suggested I run on trails as it's easier on bear's joints which is fine by me cause it's easier on my knees too!

So far Bear is holding up...in fact he's such a good running partner that my roomates like to take him if I'm taking a few dsy off.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:56 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the "northern" types of dogs because I've seen them in the middle of more fights than any other dog I can think of... maybe not a fault of the breed, but perhaps owners not knowing what they are getting into...(?)...Huskies often appear "laid-back" and I think that lulls people into a false sense of security.

I agree with Mick...train,train,train....and don't let your dog loose to wander, or you'll hear about a neighbour's pet rabbit getting killed....or a cat.....

I also understand what Brunie's Mom is saying. I give dogs with "standy-uppy" tails one chance. I don't really want to deal with them , but will give any dog the benefit of the doubt.The last Husky I house-sat for was a lovely girl who attacked Toby when he tried to walk past her. She cleaned the floor with him in a BIG way...the only altercation we ever had on a job.

On the flip side....some of the VERY best dogs in the neighbourhood are Husky crosses. The only thing I can see that makes them different are the people on the other end of the leash!

Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM

My Husky was definately a runner and an escape artist. She absolutely loved to run and run and run. I was able to take Misha out in the front yard off leash and she was fine, however, no one else in my family could. She would take off for the back fields as soon as she saw they weren't paying close enough attention to her, but would come back when called. She also had a very, very high prey drive. No small furry, or feathered, animal was safe (with the exception of our family cats). When we got Brodie and would visit she was very quick to let him know that he was in HER house and she was not happy about it. They got along fine outside, but in the house she was boss. All in all Misha was a good dog, and I'd love to have another Husky some day. Huskies are very smart and independent thinkers as dogs go and can be somewhat aloof, but for the most part my girl was very affectionate towards family and friends.

Jaime
11 yr. Male DSH - Baxter

Last edited by JD102175; 02-24-2006 at 11:33 AM.