Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Novice Member

Talking Irregular Sleeping Habits

Hello Everyone!

First, I want to say I am so glad I found you all!! I have been struggling for the last 7 months, reading books and stopping everyone I see walking down the street with a Rott and asking questions. Thank God for this forum. I am a first time dog owner/Rott owner without a clue.....

I have a 7 month old Rott - Fritz St. John (couldn't imagine my life w/o him) who is crate trained and for the most part very well behaved except he wakes up at odd hours of the night/morning barking. I can't determine the "potty bark" or the "play bark". Last night & this morning it was 11:00pm & 3:30am. Yesterday it was 2am. I read that a well exercised Rott during the day makes for a tired Rott at night. I'm single and live alone so I am gone from 7:30am to 6:30pm so he spends a lot of time alone in his crate with the radio or tv. As soon as I get home, I play with him, walk him, we go for rides, etc. For some reason he still wakes up. When he wakes me up I let him out to do his business, sometimes he does, sometimes he wants to stay outside and play @ 2am??? Tried cutting off his water by 8pm (we go to bed between 9 & 10). Help, please!!!!

Fritz's Mom!!! :

Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM

IMO....If your dog is fed, exercised, crate trained and let out to pee right before bedtime there should be no reason for his barking. His got you wrapped around his little paw because you keep getting up when he kicks up a fuss.

Put him to bed...maybe with a chew toy in case he wakes up bored....go to sleep and ignore his barks....he should quiet down after a few days when he realises you aren't getting out of bed to entertain him.

I had a similar situation housesitting last week. The two little dogs usually sleep in bed with their owner and kept sneaking in the guest room onto my bed....Well, I need my sleep so next night I took them out to pee...put them in their beds OUTSIDE the bedroom and went to sleep.

They whined the first night.

I spoke with their owner this morning and told her I locked them out of the room. She couldn't believe they didn't bark all night. I said it's because they know they can't get away with it with me!

...just my story for you.....

Old 07-18-2005, 07:38 PM
One of the Old Folks

Stephanie may have a point.
I also think that he needs WAY more exercise and interaction with you.
He is in his crate alone from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and then you say that you like to go to bed between 9 or 10 p.m. That means he may not even be out of the crate for more then 3 hours per day!!!

Rottweiler puppies at 7 months of age have alot of energy and must use it up, and playing in the backyard for a few minutes or going for a car ride is not enough.

Can you hire a dog walker to come over and take him out during the day? Or is there a doggie daycare in your area? Even if this was done 3 days a week, it would be enough to get some energy out and for him to get more attention.

You did not mention if you were taking your pup to obedience classes. This is a must for Rottweilers. Even though he may know his basics, the obedience classes are great for socialization and it teaches you how to teach him...and it get's him to use his mind.
A tired dog is a good dog.

Also do you have any friends with a playful dog that you can invite over for playtime with your Rott. Nothing wears them out faster then an hour or tag or wrestling.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 07-19-2005, 09:44 AM

I think this pup is spending a heck of a lot of time in a crate. Please have someone come in and walk him during the day.

He is probably sleeping all day so he is not tired at night and wants some action.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Novice Member

Thanks for the GREAT advice.

We enrolled in the Petco puppy class when he was just 9 weeks and I was completely turned off. However, Fritz seemed to like the interaction with the other dogs. So needless to say I am looking into enrolling him in an obedience school that will offer us one-on-one training, not sure if the group setting works best for us.

I've taken your advice and I have arranged for a friend to stop by and take him for a walk every other day. Also when the weather is nice (not too hot) I leave him outside (my yard is fenced in) while I am at work. That way he's not crated ALL day. Is that a good idea??

Old 07-20-2005, 12:08 PM

I would not leave him ouside with no one home. He could get into all kinds of trouble and would have no one to help him. Also he could be stolen.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 PM
One of the Old Folks

Cool

Good that you have gotten someone to take Fritz out during the day. I'm sure he will enjoy some extra activity and attention.

I agree..Petco classes are usually not great...though a Puppy K is fine, because they are mostly socializing anyway.

I would try to find a local obedience club or dog training centre...someone on these forums must live in your area and may be able to recommend a training class.

I would take group classes...much better for socialization and for teaching the dog to work under distractions. Also more fun for you!
One- on- one classes are good if you are having special problems with your dog such as aggression,etc.....but a group class is much better.
Continue attending classes, different levels and you may even get interested in agility or formal obedience with different levels to strive for, or herding or carting,etc. There is so much to do with our Rottweilers because they are so smart.

Remember to keep his mind busy as well as his body.

Gina

It's a great to do some activity with your dog...helps to keep the dog

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14