Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 07:39 AM

Wink Rottweiler Types - Info please

We have just bought a 7 wk old Rottweiler, he is gorgeous but a little fluffy haired, When we spoke to the breeder she said that the mother is centurion, the father is just a normal Rottweiler, but I wondered if anyone had heard of a centurion rottweiler as I cannot find one on the internet. He is pedigree & has his papers & everything, my husband is just curious as to why he would be quite fluffy!

Any info would be appreciated.

Roo

Old 04-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Re: Rottweiler Types - Info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo1975
When we spoke to the breeder she said that the mother is centurion, the father is just a normal Rottweiler, but I wondered if anyone had heard of a centurion rottweiler

Roo
there is only one type of rottweiler with what registery are they registered with????

Old 04-09-2005, 08:05 AM

There could be a defective gene in the lineage, or a recessive gene that affects the coat. These are called "long-haired" Rottweilers. Your pup is still young and the "fluffiness" may go away. There is no such thing as a "centurion" Rottweiler. Some people can get creative with saying what type of Rottweiler lines the pups come from to help sell them. BTW, these are not ethical breeders and have no idea what they are talking about. A "normal" rottweiler? LOL

Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach
A "normal" rottweiler? LOL
Yah, and a centurion rottwieler is an abnormal rottweiler, creatively named to lure people into buying them for more $$ than a 'normal' rottweiler...

Like the 'rare' longhaired rotties...well, yah, they are rare, but not THAT rare...it's not a rare breed, it's a genetic fault...NOT something you want to 'enhance' with future breedings...

Old 04-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Hi
im affraid youv'e been conned into beliving you were getting something extra, when the truth is any rott, be it long haired , or a red, or a king rotty which they try and pass off because its to tall to conform to the breed standard, or as in your case a centurion rott, are just badly bred and carry bad genetic faults, that responsable breeders have been trying to irradicate for years. hey but all that said love him just the same and enjoy, as its not a problem unless the plan was to show him

Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Roo, you'll want to stick around this place and read all you can about your new puppy. Welcome to the forum! From the puppy pictures I have seen(of my own and others), most look fluffier then their adult selves will. As your pup gets older, more then likely that fluffiness will start to go away, it may leave a "wave" look down the center of his back as that seems to be the part that gets the flatter "adult" coat last. Enjoy your fluffy little boy!

There is however only one kind of Rottweiler. No matter german, american, "centurion", or any other name they put before or after it, it's a rottweiler. Different lines can have different body types, coat types, size, ect but there all still our favorite breed, even if they aren't always within breed standard.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:40 PM

Wink Re: Rottweiler Types - Info please

Hi

Thank you all for your replies,

I am quite happy with him just the way he is, he is a gorgeous puppy, I was just wondering what the breeder was talking about, I have no plans to show him or breed him so this is really not a problem.

I saw a friend of mine today & she told me that it was just puppy fluff & that she thinks he will be fine when he is older, but like I say he is just a family pet so no matter either way.

I only paid the same for him as she was selling the others for which seemed to be about the going rate so I do not feel conned in anyway.

Thank you Cherry for welcoming me to the forum, he is my first big dog so I appreciate the support!!

Thanks again
Roo

Old 04-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Maybe it's just puppy fur.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM

Hi Urika

Thanks for your post, I think maybe it is, Time will tell, its just that the breeder said it was a certain type thats why I ask. I saw the mother & she seemed to be a little bit wavey on the fur but still looked the same as any other Rottweiler, the father that was also there was a very strong handsome dog.

Im sure Max will turn out as lovely as his parents!!

Roo

Old 04-09-2005, 07:15 PM

I'm sure he's a cutie pie. Post pics of him when you're able.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:13 PM

I was trying before not sure how, any advice?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:49 PM

Roo,
Welcome to the forum. I had pretty much this same question some time ago and was given some really good info. Try this thread, it might help.

http://rottweiler.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=cooper

Or you can just do a search for a thread called "Long Hair Rottie?"

Old 04-10-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi Sum

Thanks for your reply & the link it was very interesting & told me alot, I have come to the conclusion that Max is not a long haired Rottweiler he is just a fluffy pup having seen the gorgeous photo's. I would like to post a picture of him but I just havent been able to work out how yet!!!

Thanks for the link.

Roo