Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Too soon?

My beloved Sparkle was put down yesterday and I think I'm already ready for a new dog. (Not like today, but say maybe next weekend). I've been looking at petfinder, etc and seen some cuties. Some people are telling me I shouldn't do this. That I need a long time to grieve Sparkle. I say I'm not going to stop greiving Sparkle and the new dog certainly will never replace her, but the way I see it, there's a house with an opening for a dog, so why not get a needy dog in there?

But, I've never been through any of this before. Sparkle was my first dog and my first lost pet. Am I acting too fast? Any opinions?

Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Valued Member

Re: Too soon?

My mom lost her first greyhound quite suddenly with no chance to say good bye or anything. It happened on like a Wednesday I think. She had volunteered to transport a group of rescues coming in that weekend. She fell in love with a young female in that group and fostered her for several months before officially adopting her.

I can not imagine my house without my rottweiler. I am sure that when Chase leaves, I will want to fill that void with a new dog. Not a replacement, just a new dog to learn from, love and lean on.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Valued Member

getting another dog honors your first one by saying, it was such a special and wonderful experience, you want to repeat it. The answer is not what other people say, but what you say.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:03 AM

I would say that it is a personal decision for you to make. I've never had the opertunity to do this as the only time I was in this situation I was still living in my parents' home and they did not want another dog, but for ME it would not be too soon. The death of a pet leaves a void that, while the pet can never be replaced, another (especially a rescue) can help to fill that void left. Also, the activity involved in getting a new dog (training, getting to know and bond with the new pet) can help you not dwell on the loss. Sparkle should be remembered and that memory should be cherished, but not dwelled on, IMO.

Just another thought that came to mind. I still get creeped out by the emptiness of my parents house when I go over there (almost 8 years latter). A petless house to me is just a very weird thing and I think that NO PETS would remind me even more of what I was missing with a SPECIAL pet.

Wookie-Rott (mix?) girl
born January 2003

Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 AM

I can totally understand. The void left by Cromwell was unbearable. All I did was cry, search petfinder and haunt the shelters and cry some more. I have a 9 year old female Shepherd and a 7 yr old beagle so I had to be careful on the dog I brought home. Majesty Rescue was wonderful and they are in Maryland. They just got in some puppies too.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi W
getting another dog honors your first one by saying, it was such a special and wonderful experience, you want to repeat it. The answer is not what other people say, but what you say.

I agree with Judi 100%. As you know, I lost Mia in the same way and to the same cancer as Sparkle. And I needed another dog in the house ASAP. Mia died on October 24. A week later, we had a foster dog that stayed for 2 weeks. Then we adopted Ilsa on November 13.

If you want another dog, get one. There is nothing to feel guilty about, and everyone deals with their grief in their own way.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:09 AM

I have done this twice. I don't know why, but once it worked and once it didn't. The time it worked, strangely, was the time I lost the dog I cared for most. maybe I knew none could fill her place, so the new dog found his own place in my heart. Each situation is different. I'll bet if you find the right one, your question will be answered.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Valued Member

Each person has their own way of dealing with these things and if getting another dog is not too soon in your mind it is not too soon. If it was, I'm really off my knockers because I have a tendency to get dogs when I know I'm about to loose another one to help lighten the blow.........

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 05-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Everybody deals with grief in their own way. Don't worry about what other people say and do what feels right for you. It is all about what you want/need right now.

Akasha,CDX,SchHA,BH,OBI,AD,RE,TDI,TC,CGC

Keil,CDX,BH,RE,AD,TDI,TC,CGC

*Kaleb*Ch Esmonds Shoot To Thrill,RA,CGC

*Kenya*Esmonds Nairobian Princess

Old 05-19-2004, 11:05 AM

My thoughts are with you as you make this decision. I myself have never gone thru this, but like you, my thoughts would be on helping a new dog, while my heart would be with my old dog.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM

I agree with what all have said here....trust your heart and let Sparkle guide you to your next companion. When you find the right one, you will know...much like you probably just "knew" with Sparkle.

Sorry for your loss...take comfort that she is now healed and romping at the bridge.

Good luck on your search for a new friend to share your home.
^^Elmo^^ - the rottweiler that stole my heart

Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM

Do what feels right to you. If you feel ready, then take the plunge.

My old lab died in December 2003. The original plan had been to wait until Baloo went to the Bridge and then get an adult rescue. No more puppies for us. Well in November 2002 the neighbors were taking their rott puppy to the convenience store to give him away. We took him instead. I'm so glad that there was a dog in the house when Baloo was pts. I can't imagine what it would have been like to come back to an empty house. Call it Fate, call it Providence, call it Luck, but I feel like we were meant to take in Kudlow.

There's someone out there who you're meant to have. You'll recognize it when the time comes.

Christine

Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 AM

I lost my lab/chow mix in January due to Bloat. My husband stayed home that day to take care of things. By the end of the day he was sending me links to dogs he found. We got Harley a week and a half after our lab/chow mix, Bear, Went to the bridge. I was ready to move on but I wasnt sure if my husband was or not. Apparently he was! hehehe If you are ready then you are ready. You know the reason you are doing it. you know you will still morn the loss of Sparkle and that you will never "replace" her, but you know that there are dogs in need of a forever home and you just happen to have that forever home. Dont pay attention to everyone else. Do what your heart tells you.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:25 AM

We got Max 3 weeks after Reno died. I wanted another rottweiler not to replace him, but because of him. Getting Max lifted my spirits and helped healed my broken heart. I still went through the process of grieving over Reno, but having a little one around again helped cushion the loss, and made me look forward to coming home again. Bottom line, do what's right for you. Sparkle was a lucky girl, and I'm sure she'd want you to share that with another special dog.
Vegas 11/92-1/04

Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 AM

I brought Sky home 5 days after Blaze died. Ocean was lonely and your thoughts were mine exactly; Blaze's death would have meaning if it opened the door for another needy unwanted Rott. Sky is not Blaze's replacement, he is his legacy. Just tell that to whoever critisizes you for "replacing" Sparkle so soon. It shut a lot of thoughtless mouths for me.
At the Bridge: Blaze - Rotti boy, Dorito - Border Collie