Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 11:47 AM

Dog Proof Patio Door Screens

As most dogs do, Romeo scratches to go out and when he wants back in and we have a sliding glass patio door. During the winter he realized that we jump faster if he scratches on the screen so of course it was destroyed in no time.

I looked online and there is screening that is supposedly resistant to pet damage. Have any of you used it and is it Rottie proof?

If not, how do you Rottie proof your sliding door screen?

Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Valued Member

Re: Dog Proof Patio Door Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyLover
As most dogs do, Romeo scratches to go out and when he wants back in and we have a sliding glass patio door. During the winter he realized that we jump faster if he scratches on the screen so of course it was destroyed in no time.

I looked online and there is screening that is supposedly resistant to pet damage. Have any of you used it and is it Rottie proof?

If not, how do you Rottie proof your sliding door screen?
I'm not sure anything is Rottie proof :p

My suggestion is to break the scratching to get in and out habit. Give him another, less destructive, way to let you know.

I know that is easy for me to say :D
Mora '09 IFR TEAM,'09 NA OB Champ,4X Sch/VPG3,2X IPO3,FH1,BH,AD,OB3,CGC
Multi-V1, SA'09,SY'07 Force SchH3,BST,AD,BH,CGC

Old 03-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Valued Member

My aunt had a wrought iron baby gate type thing that attached to the screen door. I think she got it at a Home Depot.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 03-24-2004, 11:58 AM

Check out this post, you might find it an interesting alternative.
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/sho...ight=ring+bell

Harley (5y/o rescue Rotty)
Rory, Sheena and Thor waiting on the otherside

Old 03-24-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw_2112
Check out this post, you might find it an interesting alternative.
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/sho...ight=ring+bell

We did this with Payton and it worked like a charm :D

Terrie

Old 03-24-2004, 12:03 PM

the screening that I THINK you are talking about is NOT pet damage free. We got it to replace some screens on our windows and our full grown GSD tore them up in a week! We ended up putting up an above ground electric fence to stop it and it worked, However you dont want to do that in your case.
Now we have a metal screen door that the dogs CAN NOT destroy. All they can do is file their nails on it! hehehe

Another thing that MAY help, My husband and I lived in a rent home a few years ago and they had a set of french doors as the back doors. I didnt want the dogs to scratch it up so we covered the glass with Plexiglass. When we didnt want it up there we just took it down and when we wanted it up we just put it back up. That may help in your case. You can find a way to cover the screen with Plexiglass. When you are ready to open the screen, Take the plexiglass down. I dont know how convienient that would be, but it is an idea. Other then that, The only other suggestion I have is to train your dog NOT to do it. Like spoteet said, Find another way to have your dog let you know he wants back in, Maybe a bell off to the side that he can ring? I dont know.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 PM

Harley almost gets the zoomies when she has to go out. She'll bound up to you, give a light woof, and then zoom to the door!

When I was training her (cuz she wasn't house trained) I'd ask her, "Do you have to go out?" in a really excited way, and wait until she barked, then I'd let her go out. I always leave the door just against the jam, and she paws her way back in, then I go close the door.

The bell idea is a neat one!

Old 03-24-2004, 01:45 PM

Sharon, I am conviced NOTHING is Rottie proof. We didn't teach Romeo that, he came to us that way and it wasn't screen weather. He wasn't messing on brand new carpet in our brand new house so it was a good thing. It is still a good thing except for this screen door.

I swear he likes the sound of his nails on screen. Last week winter took a little break and he was in the front yard with me. He was as happy as can be chasing the rake and pooper scooper, when all of a sudden he got a bug up his butt that he wanted to go in, NOW. Instead of giving me a clue he raced onto the porch, climbed under the deck chairs and glider that folks thought we needed for house warming presents, and started scratching on the living room screen. Go Figure!

Sandi, I will look for that grate your Aunt had. I know they sell light weight metal grating that I could screw onto the bottom part of the door. My concern there was the sharp edges and our Grandson. If your Aunt bought it for babies sharp edges wouldn't be a problem.

The bell ringing sounds like a good idea. On the inside I could easily mount one for out, but on the outside there is no where to put one for in.

Cynthia, Plexi glass might be the only answer, and it can be screwed onto the frame so it wouldn't have to be moved all the time. I was just hoping someone had a better idea for this mouse trap.

You would think that in all these years that there have been sliding patio doors and dogs, someone would have invented a sliding patio door screen that is screen on the top half and whatever, aluminum or something, on the bottom half.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:12 PM

They make scratching pads for cats that hang on a doorknob. Would that cover the space you're talking about?

We have Petscreen, but no scratchers.
@RB--Peaches, Dev, Jake, Cecil, Rocky, Delilah, & Homer

Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Valued Member

Purchase some hardware cloth and attach it to the screen door frame (outside) with metal strips and sheetmetal screws. You will still need the regular screening to protect against insects, but the hardware cloth will protect against dogs.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:50 PM

When my rotties put holes in my sliding door screen, I took it off and brought it to the hardware store to have the screening replaced. They suggested a product made to protect screens from animals & children. It is a metal mesh which attaches to the frame of the screen. It's about 3 ft. high and comes in various widths to fit different size screens. I was able to get one wide enough to fit the sliding door screen. I'v had it up for 3 summers and my screen is still intact. There are no rough or sharp edges, and it doesn't look bad. The only problem is in the fall when leaves get caught in between the mesh and the screen and you have to push them out carefully so as not to tear the screen. As I recall, it wasn't very expensive, either.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM

We also have this problem with my oldest. She will scratch at the door when she wants to go out. I have just come to live with the fact that I will never have clean windows on my french doors from their noses and slobber. We just purchased the metal grate things from Home Depot for our screen doors on our porch though. I'm not sure if they would work on sliding doors though. At our previous house we had plexiglass on our screen and it worked great. the only problem was that the bugs would get caught between the plexiglass and the screen, but better that than a ripped screen
Maggie - Age 7 (Female Rotty)
Nina - Age 14 (Female Rotty)

Old 03-24-2004, 06:50 PM

Our two destroyed the screen by jumping up on it when they saw anything move outside. First I repaired the screen and bought one of those metal grates to go over it. Then they destroyed the grate and the frame for the screen. Now we just leave the plexi glass window closed, as there is no longer a screen & frame. I bought some rottie-proof wire grid from the company I worked for at the time that will fit into the frame opening and i am sure I can attach some screening somehow, i have just been lazy about doing it. I also had a frame built with more of the wire grid and installed it as a swinging gate from the kitchen into the dining room and we made it 4 ft high. Best thing we ever did - it's lasted 4 years so far paint is scratched off, but it's still as strong as ever!!

Old 03-26-2004, 08:19 PM

Thank you for all the help! I happened to be driving past Home Depot yesterday so I stopped to look at the grates and get a price on them. Since he scratches for in and out we need two so it will be a bit over $40.00 to TRY and Romeo proof the screen, but better than replacing it weekly. When I take it to the hardware store (I know how but hate that job) to be fixed I will see if they have it for less.

Chantal, our daughter said one of her friends had plexi screwed on their sliding frame and it was full of bugs too. Dirty windows I can deal with, this thought though gave me images of trapped bugs, doggy snot and drool, scratch marks on the inside, muddy scratch marks on the outside AND half of the fresh air being blocked. Nope, I will buy the grate things. LOL