Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM

My dogs and neighbor dogs not getting along on opposite sides of fence

Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my 2 dogs to stop running the fence line and aggresively barking and growling at my neighbors 2 dogs who are aggresively barking and growling back. Both of my dogs are well socialized with humans and other dogs. We both have our own 6ft privacy fence. Unfortunatley, the fences butt up next to each other. I have tried yelling at my dogs to leave the fence to come to me, which works for a few seconds but then the go right back at it as soon as the neighbors dogs bark. I try not to let me dogs out when there dogs are out, but sometimes that dosen't happen. I dont like that my dogs are behaving like that toward the other dogs on the fence line.

Patty

Old 01-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Re: My dogs and neighbor dogs not getting along on opposite sides of fence

Hi Patty - we have the EXACT same problem. I finally got a squirt bottle and mixed a lemon juice & water mixture (mostly water) and starting spraying my guys, while giving the "Leave it" command. We are making progress - but those pesky neighbor dogs are the barkers, mine just follow suite.....I'll be curious to see the other responses here.....we have thought about talking to the neighbor, but they told us when we bought our house (8 months ago) that all the neighbors complained about barking dogs - DUH - they have the barking dogs - 24/7.......

Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM

I have the SAME problem....and for the first YEAR didn't have a problem.

The neighbor's dogs are a black lab mix and a red min pin. The min pin pees on the fence EVERY TIME Lucy goes out there. She LIKES the stupid min pin and every time she walks over to the fence, he PEES ON HER!!

Now when Ian and Sophie go outside the lab charges the fence and barks his idiot head off.

I finally said to myself, "SELF, it's their stupid FAULT! My dogs didn't bark unitl that IDIOT LAB decided he didn't like my dogs anymore!!" and since the neighbors NEVER tell their dogs anything and I was always the one hollering KNOCK IT OFF..........I just let them bark!!

After about 5 or 10 minutes everyone shuts up or the neighbor takes their dogs in.

I'm at work all day, she's at HOME, I'm not keeping mine in after I get home just because hers are out! UH UH!!
Ian, Godspeed, big guy
R'Legacy's Bravo Company "Bravo"

Old 01-23-2004, 06:22 PM

Well, Rocky used to bark once when he wanted to come inside. Well, this one time, he barked 3 or 4 times-I mean he didn't bark his foul little head off, just a couple times. Well, the next door neighboor came out yelling at Rocky. (He saw he coming down the stairs to get him) I went straight up to him and told him TO never yell at my dog again that next time he @uck*ing desided to yell obsentities to MY DOG, he was going to have to deal with me. Never had a problem since-Of course we moved the next week.... :D

But, you might go over and have a friendly little talk with your neighboors. Are they hard of hearing? maybe make some suggestions on how to keep their minds occupied so they don't bark all the time. Just some thoughts.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Mom to Diesel (my rottweiler) [/font]

Old 01-26-2004, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. When we first moved in 5 months ago the neighbors were very good about yelling at the dogs to knock it off. It seems lately that they have been letting them bark and carry on along the fence line and don't yell at them any longer. I can get my dogs to stop barking at them when I am out there, but when their dogs start barking again my dogs run right over and start barking again.

When I want to let them out into my backyard I look over into their yard everytime before I let the dogs out (we live in a bi-level house so I can see in there yard from my porch) to make sure their dogs aren't out. I wish they would do they same for me, but the don't. :D

I would of thought that having two privacy fences as barriers that we wouldn't have all this carrying on with the neighbors dogs.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 AM

Patty, that's what we do also (check to see if the barking neighbor dogs are out) - but it's a shame, because yesterday, I got out to do some poop patrol, and my dogs (6 mind you!) were all quiet, just enjoying the sunshine and being lazy, and those dogs next door were yipping their heads off.....the neighbors were home, but never came out until the people directly behind them screamed "CUT IT OUT ALREADY" and then they came and took their dogs in. It's frustrating, but I guess as long as my other neighbors know it isn't my dogs, I'll just deal with it like everyone else. You'd think after almost a year, these dogs would figure out that we belong..... :(

Old 01-29-2004, 01:36 PM

Unfortunaly I have the same issue with my neighbors behind me. They have two Large size mutts that are very agressive. They have torn up the fence, knocked out pickets and chewed the bottom of the fence. The neighbors leave their dogs out 24/7......The NEVER interact with their dogs, they never take the dogs in, I feel terrible for their dogs, But I feel even worse for me and my husband! heheh Our bedroom is at the back of the house, So thats all we ever hear. We called the local Police dept. They told us to call animal control during business hours. Which is fine and dandy, But they are only open 8a-5p. They cant do anything about it at 2am.
Anyway, We finally put up an electric perimeter fence. It seems to work pretty well. Only my German Shephard will still go to the fence line, Just before the Electric Fence and she will bark her fool head off! we just tell her to get in the house. The stops that problem realy quick. I just dont want my rottie to pick up on it. I may try the bottle of lemon juice/water mix and use a command.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 PM

squirt bottles filled with anything is never a training tool

Old 01-29-2004, 03:09 PM

lblax....I agree with your opinion - but I needed something that I could use from a distance to get their attention - they all hate being sprayed with water (although love playing in the water...weird) - anyway - I really wanted one of those super soaker water guns so that I could spray them, then issue my command to "leave it".....I don't have to use the spray bottle anymore - as soon as I step outside and say leave it - they will come to me with their heads down.....I couldn't think of another reason I would use this same method....but running out to turn on the water hose, then drag it over to the fence and spray took too long.... :(

Old 01-29-2004, 03:10 PM

Oops - I should add, with 6 dogs in the back yard (I have fosters in the mix too) - I'm not really targeting any one dog - just trying to be heard over the barking :D

Old 01-29-2004, 05:52 PM

Oh I didnt realize that was a bad way to train them. what would be the best way to keep them from running the fence and constantly barking at the neighbor dogs? My german shephard runs the fence, Barks at the other dogs and tries to fight with the other dogs through the broken slats.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 PM

We had trained ours to sit and watch it was working great till someone sprayed them in the face NOW they run our fence line which drives me nuts as I had them to the point of ignoring anyone on the other side!

Recently we doubled our fences and added loud bells (wire fence inside) as the neighbors let their babies put their hands through the fence and call here doggy doggy.

I also keep cookies or dog treats by the back door and when they start to run towards it go out and yell cookie and shake the box When they come running to me I practice sits and stays and praise them for coming to me.

The puppy is the worse she is ten months old and mouthy. So she has been going out on a leash. And we are thinking of adding a dog run.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Bouchard
I also keep cookies or dog treats by the back door and when they start to run towards it go out and yell cookie and shake the box When they come running to me I practice sits and stays and praise them for coming to me.
OH! Thanks for the Idea! I will try that for sure!!!!!! Good deal!