Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 02:21 AM

Cropping ears on Rottweilers??

Have I been living in a cave?This is totally new to me, I've never heard of a Rottie having his ears cropped like a doberman.
Is this becoming common practice among very stupid BYB'S??
On another site I read someone was asking a " breeder" about getting a dog and they told them the ears and tail had to be cropped/ docked
If this becomes a trend.. oh boy how easy it will be to weed out the BYB's huh?

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Old 12-04-2003, 02:29 AM

I saw a picture of a Rottie with a short fighting crop. It looked gross. Rotties don't even have the right ears for a crop. They have the greatest ears, especially to twirl. Why do people have to be so stupid.

RIP Sheena, Damian, Brodie, DIVA, Chester, Sabre & Prince

Old 12-04-2003, 02:33 AM

Is THAT why some idiots crop them? to be fighting dogs?

Old 12-04-2003, 02:41 AM

Some people will use any large and tenacious dog for fighting. They crop the ears for fighting so they don't get torn and bleed all to heck. We should all know now that some people are sick enough to do anything...

Old 12-04-2003, 08:52 AM

People crop either to fight the dog or to have the appearance of a fighting dog. Neither one is a responsible owner/breeder and damages the breeds reputation...

Minds are like parachutes. They only work when open. -Unknown-

Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 AM

Ugh - ear cropping and cat declaws. 2 of the most horrible things in the world to me.
When I worked at a vet - we did neither and when people asked these was our standard answers.
" I have to get my cat declawed - he is tearing up the house" Answer - you should of checked into cat ownership BEFORE you got a cat - cats have claws and they use them.
" They (dobermans, pits, danes, etc) are SUPPOSED to have their ears done." Answer " Please show us where that is a law or rule"
Then we would go into why those procedures werent a good thing to do. I bet 70% of them changed their mind.
Kim

Old 12-04-2003, 11:13 AM

How horrible!

Rottie ears are too cute to be touched!

Old 12-04-2003, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rotts and roses
Is THAT why some idiots crop them? to be fighting dogs?
Exactly because when dogs fight ears are one of the first things to get ripped....they bleed easily and it is very painful and distracts the dog who it occurs to allowing the other dog to kill it much quicker. They want the fights to last long, so they crop the ears so this does not happen. All of the popular fighting breeds are cropped for this reason.

When Athena disciplines Disel the first thing she goes for is his ears (much to my dismay)...it immediately produces a yip and quickly ends any nonsense.

Old 12-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:
"Stupid is as stupid does"... "Why do people have to be so stupid."... "We should all know now that some people are sick enough to do anything"..."Neither one is a responsible owner/breeder and damages the breeds reputation"... "Ugh - ear cropping and cat declaws. 2 of the most horrible things in the world to me." ...."How horrible!"
I deduce from the tone of your posts that you own undocked Rottweilers? Is that correct?

Old 12-04-2003, 04:03 PM

How could they touch those velvet ears, my favorite part. Since it's not the norm for rotweilers, hopefully it will be easier to find who the dog fighters are and make some arrests.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:15 PM

My cat is declawed and none the worse for it. My SO would have already thrown him outside if he weren't. My dogs have docked tails done before 3 days of age and it was not some traumatic experience that has scared them for life. Their tails went away with their dew claws. That said, I would never crop their ears as it is not part of the breed standard. I also wouldn't own a breed that had this custom because the way I understand it, it is a prolonged undertaking and I would assume (which doesn't mean I'm right) it's painful.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM

I have seen puppies tails docked at about 3 days old. They gave no indication of pain, there was no blood and they immediately returned to nursing. I used to raise show rabbits and from time to time mama rabbit would get overly exuberant in the clean up and dock a bunnie's tail or ear. They didn't bleed, were usually well heeled in a couple days and grew up just fine. I definitely have no problem with docking.

Now, I have a Bouvier and her ears are cropped. We had them done at 10 weeks. I wasn't enthused about having it done, but hubby really wanted her to have cropped ears. It was clearly a painful procedure and the recovery was painful. It was lots work on our part to keep it clean and the ears supported, and keep Thor from messing with them, etc. I will never have a dogs ears cropped again!! Which isn't that much of a problem since I doubt we ever own another dog that isn't a Rottweiler.:)

I think people should know that ear cropping, which must be done after ~8 wks, is much much different from tail docking at 3 days.
Tinkerbell (1993-1998)
Idun CGC (8 yr old Bouvier)
Cabo vom Schweitzergarten, CD (4 yr old Rottie)

Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Yep, all my rotties had their tails docked. And it was done at 3-5 days. Much less tramatic and painful for them. Did i do them? No, they came that way. Would I do it to a dog that wasnt docked? No, tail or not - doesnt matter to me.
Ear cropping and cat declaws are EXTREMELY painful and can be problematic. Ive seen cats die from declaws because if infection, Ive seen cats maimed from bad declaws. Ear Cropping is bloody as hell and the pups cry when the tape is ripped off to just be reapplied to make them stand and they dont always stand.
I dont believe dogs have to be cropped to show anymore, i KNOW they dont in Europe and BTW my friend in Germany says its pretty common not to dock tails in Europe but they usually do if the dogs are going to the USA. She says she rarely sees ear cropped dogs.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:33 AM

That is just as I suspected on the ear cropping. I don't have the stomach for that. Do I think people should dock and remove the dewclaws on their own pups, No. I think it should be left to a vet. The cat thing with declawing though, sorry but I brought home my boy expecting all this drama. It was done when he was neutered. There was no infection. They didn't seem particularly painful, I made sure he had clean newspaper in his litter box 2 times a day for about 2 weeks and the vet had put something on the ends of each claw to prevent anything from getting into the spot where the claw was removed. He never missed a beat. He was a little off the first day from the anistesia ( I spelled that wrong forgive me) and the anger at being left at the vet, but 2nd day he was right as rain. Now I will add that I wouldn't declaw and adult cat as I think that would be more traumatic and if I ever have another kitten I will have this procedure also done as early as possible.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:49 AM

I remember finidng a pit bull once whos ears were cropped with a pair of scissors. The wounds had healed by then. BUt the ears were cut so uneven and the scar tissue on them was horrific. I can only imagine the pain that dog felt when that was done. It was very clear that it was abck yard job. I did not sleep that whole night thinking about it.

Just when you think something can be inhumane and painful, somebody can prove they can make it even worse.