Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 PM

Average Weight Of male Rottweilers

Hi everyone I was just wondering about the average weight of a rottweiler. In every Rottweiler book I look in has a different weight.
Dog Fancy says a male rottweiler can weight as much as 110lbs
Another said 120lbs . One said 145lbs . Some others said 150lbs yet some rotts can weigh 180 or more as what I'm told by rottie owners.
Is there an actual average weight of a rottie as a breed or does it depend on the individual dog? and what is a healthy weight of a male rottweiler and what is the weight range and a healthy weight for a female rottweiler?

Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 AM

You could try AKC's websight it should tell you there what they are suposed to be if not I would hope that someone chimes in with a good answer because I had the same question but on weight in relasion to age.

Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 AM

I have two males here - my Ben, at 4 years old, weighs 80 pounds and stands 24 1/2 inches at the shoulder. My mother in laws male, at about 6 years old, weighs 119 (should be about 110-113) and stands about 27 inches at the shoulder. We're working on the diet for the big fat guy! Ben is more active than the other dogs, and it shows.

According to the AKC website, height is 22-25 inches for bitches, 24-27 for dogs, preferred height being mid-range for both genders.

No mention of weight, but if I go by what my two guys weigh, I'm guessing 90-95 pounds average for bitches, and about 105-110 for dogs.

Old 07-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Valued Member

Bucky needs to lose a few pounds

Bucky is three years old and around 120 lbs. He looks proportionate to me - the Vet said 115 would be his ideal weight.

I didn't ask him about mine :)
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 07-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Ancient Valued Member

Males that are within the standard for the breed are generally 85-125 lbs. Those with heavier or lighter bone will be more or less as are those above and below the height standard.

In 18 years in the breed I have never ever seen or heard of a Rottweiler with a weight verified by a vet scale above 165lbs and THAT was just about the fattest dog I've ever seen in my life!! He should have weighed 120lbs at the most :(

Most males at the middle (prefered) height of 25 1/2" will be about 100-110lbs

The so called "show weight" is often heavier than above but don't get me started on that!
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 07-09-2003, 08:33 AM

THANK YOU

finally a good solid answer thank you

Old 07-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Here's the links:
www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/rotty.cfm
www.rottclub.ca/standard.html
www.usrcweb.org/fcistand.html

Hope these are helpful. It has been my experience that there are a number of people who over estimating the weight of their dogs. Some perhaps because they thing it's "better," I'm sure. Some could be actual weights, of course.

My bitch is 70 lbs. This man who was bragging his weighed 150 lbs and stood "as tall as him", erroniously guestimated my dog at 110. So...?

Old 07-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Valued Member

Sajan will be 18 months old the 19th and he is currently at 90 pounds. He has been at 90 pounds for several months now. I expect him to add a few more pounds but I will be surprised if he passes 100 pounds. He was last measured a couple of months ago and he was 25 3/4" tall. Everyone thinks he weighs much more than he does because he is so muscular. I have to add that Sajan is an extremely fit dog and he is one of those rare dogs that will never be fat simply because he will not over eat.
Mora '09 IFR TEAM,'09 NA OB Champ,4X Sch/VPG3,2X IPO3,FH1,BH,AD,OB3,CGC
Multi-V1, SA'09,SY'07 Force SchH3,BST,AD,BH,CGC

Old 07-09-2003, 10:15 AM

Re: Average Weight Of male Rottweilers

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny1322
.....In every Rottweiler book I look in has a different weight.
...... One said 145lbs . Some others said 150lbs yet some rotts can weigh 180 or more as what I'm told by rottie owners.
Whoever said 145lbs and up is absolutely wrong. Those dogs would be extremely fat or way above standard or both. My boy is 25 1/2" tall and a pretty solid 106 pounds.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:29 PM

Oh boy - where do i start! LOL
My Chivas weighed between 90 - 95 for most of her life - the last 18 months, she went up to 116 which was ok the vet said, she wasnt hugely overweight plus she was battling cancer. She stood exactly 25 inches at the shoulder. I might also add Chivas was wonderfully muscled even up to the day she left me.
Roxie was a porkchop, 23 1/2 inches and around 110 but appeared bigger then Chivas cause she was FAT and not muscled. Roxie was seriously abused before I got her, food agressive, not very good at any kind of training, but heart bigger then her whole body. She was a oppuntunistic eater the vet told us, she wasnt used to getting fed regularly for long time so when she was GULP and it was gone!
I once had both of them at the vet before they decided they didnt like each other anymore and this rottie "expert" told me how small my dogs were and how i should put gunpowder in the food to make them mean and if i was lucky, they should grow more ( they were 4 and 5 at the time). He then went on to tell me about his 200lb ROCKWELDER. When he left the whole waiting room broke out in laughter.
Kim

Old 07-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Re: Average Weight Of male Rottweilers

Quote:
One said 145lbs . Some others said 150lbs yet some rotts can weigh 180 or more as what I'm told by rottie owners.
That is just insane and very unhealthy for the dog. Oversized dogs are a genetic misnomer and the health implications for the animal are quite severe. I don't know what publications you are reading, but you need to find some more reputable ones written by people who really know the breed....Muriel Freeman, Andrew Brace, Joan Klem...etc.

Quote:
Is there an actual average weight of a rottie as a breed or does it depend on the individual dog? and what is a healthy weight of a male rottweiler and what is the weight range and a healthy weight for a female rottweiler?
This is what the FCI Standard states...I don't know the conversion...and I post this because AKC tends to favor heavier dogs in the ring...I do not believe in putting excess weight (due to health implications) on my dog just to please some judge.

Size and Weight
Height at Withers: For males is 61 - 68 cm.
61 - 62 cm is small 63 - 64 cm is medium height
65 - 66 cm is large - correct height 67 - 68 cm is very large
Weight: approximately 50 kg

Height at Withers: For bitches is 56 - 63 cm.
56 - 57 cm is small 58 - 59 cm is medium height
60 - 61 cm is large - correct height 62 - 63 cm is very large
Weight: approximately 42 kg

The FCI is the body that regulates the standard. ADRK came up with the standard, but FCI approves and governs the standards. All other standards...AKC, UKC, etc follow the FCI standard with minor deviations.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:27 PM

The majority of sites don't refer to weight, because it isn't required by the standard. It mentions height, which will then dictate weight. ;)

Parker is just over a year old (by a couple of weeks). He's 26" at the shoulder and was 106 lbs when he was weighed 4 weeks ago.

You should be more concerned about:

- having a dog within the standard (to promote the breed)
- a healthy weight for the individual dog
- taking into account height, fitness level, bone density, musculature

Old 07-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Zephir is 2.4 years old. He is 26 1/8 (maybe 26 1/4). He weighs 125. It looks good on him b/c he is long and tall instead of short & compact. Even at 26 1/8 I think 125 would be too much weight if he wasn't tall & long. If he was short & compact I think a good weight for him would be about 112.

Bella von der Barenau, BH, RN, Ztp (AIRK)
^Heaton's Zephir Whispers^, OB III, BH, CD, RN, HIC, CGC
SERYS'05 ^Othello vom Wilden Westen^, SchH II, BH, BST
^Neiko^, CGC

Old 07-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Patton is about 2 and 1/2 and is of average height and around 84-86 lbs, depending on what we are working on. I prefer to keep my dogs lean and fit.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:39 PM

Brodie is 19 months. He is 29.5 in (2.5in over the standard) and at last weigh-in was 120lbs. We are working on bringing him down to 112-115lb. range as that is probably his ideal weight.

Jaime
11 yr. Male DSH - Baxter