Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2001, 11:16 PM

Rottweiler and Mastiff

I just want to get some of your opinion wether bring in an American Mastiff in our home when we have a Rottweiler is a good idea. Both breeds are dominating and want to make sure I'm not opening up a can of worms before doing so. Our Rotti is just a pup. We are socializing her to the extent. We are on a waiting list for an American Mastiff. The litters will be born this fall. We are interested in a male Mastiff. Does anyone out there own both breeds? If so, what is your experience. (We are not committed to purchase a pup just because we are on the list). I've been researching the Mastiff breed since fall of last year.

Diane Conner

Old 06-19-2001, 05:52 AM

I've never owned a Mastiff; but I would think you won't have a problem with dogs of opposite sex in the house. I betcha the girl rules the roost! :)

What is an American Mastiff?

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 06-19-2001, 06:05 AM

If you raise your Rottweiler right and continually socialize her with other dogs, then there shouldn't be a problem. You could take her to a doggy daycare a couple times a week. Have friends with well behaved dogs come to your house so she can get used to having other dogs in her territory. If you do decide to get a Mastiff, I'd advise you to get a male. I'm sure that since you're doing research on this you understand that you're going to have your hands full for a while to come. You said your Rottweiler is still a pup, so you're going to have two puppies. It'll take a lot of hard work, patience and dedication to raise them both properly. Twice the vet bills, obedience courses, etc. Both breeds are also at risk for orthopedic problems, so that's another thing to keep in mind. If you're financially able to afford whatever is needed and able to devote lots of time and energy to the raising, training and socializing of the pups, then you should do just fine.

Old 06-19-2001, 08:05 AM

It'll take a lot of hard work, patience and dedication to raise them both properly. Twice the vet bills, obedience courses, etc. Both breeds are also at risk for orthopedic problems, so that's another thing to keep in mind. If you're financially able to afford whatever is needed and able to devote lots of time and energy to the raising, training and socializing of the pups, then you should do just fine.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree. Many folks have 2 or more doggies, if raised properly breed should not matter.

Mystic's Zeus von Merner, BH, CD, TD, CGC
Bianca von Herrschaft, CGC
Adelina Crni Lotos

Hunt Club K9
Hampton Rds Rottweiler Club
Hampton Rds Tracking Club

Old 06-19-2001, 08:29 AM
One of the Old Folks

What the heck is an American Mastiff???
There are Old English Mastiffs.... I have never heard of this. I hope it's not some new homemade breed!!!!! Please let us know, I've got my dog books out and their not in them. Very curious.... ;)

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 06-19-2001, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by royalarrival:
<STRONG>I've been researching the Mastiff breed since fall of last year.

Diane Conner</STRONG>
What mastiff breed are you referring to specifically?... You see, there is no one mastiff breed. You find different officially recognized mastiff breeds, such as: the English Mastiff, the Bullmastiff (England), the Neapolitan mastiff (Italy), the Spanish mastiff, the Pyrenean mastiff (Spain), the Tibetan mastiff, the Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian mastiff), the Dogo Argentino (Argentinean mastiff), the Dogue De Burdeaux (French mastiff), the Anatolian Shepherd Dog (Turkish mastiff), and the Canary Prey Dog (Spain). As you can see, the term "mastiff" is too generic.

In the other hand, if you are referring to the American Bandog mastiff (Swinford's or Lucero's bandog lines), that is a strong dog with protection capabilities that fares well in the hands of experienced and responsible people only. Although American Bandogs can be great dogs in the hands of the right owners/handlers, they are not recommended for novices and not recommended to be raised with a Rottweiler either.

If you are talking about the American mastiff from "Panja Kennels", this is the product of crossbreeding chosen aggressive Rottweilers with chosen aggressive American Pitbull Terriers. The result of such wild cross breeding? An obviously aggressive dog, which is also known as the "crack street" dog It was "created" by gangsters with the specific purpose of guarding "drug stash" houses (for criminal activity) Nevertheless, Panda claims to have stabilized the temperament of her "American mastiffs" (read: mutt or "Rottpitbull"), and that "they can be good family dogs and excellent guard dogs without training" Well, I don't buy that for a second. This one is the least recommended of all.

My curiosity is, why do you want to raise two dogs from differentes breeds? The two breeds chosen by you can be very strong and very aggressive, if they are raised improperly, of course. One dog is hard enough to raise, two makes it more difficult. What's the idea? If I may ask

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: German Vanegas ]

Old 06-19-2001, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose71:
<STRONG>German, I got curious after reading your response and decided to do a search. I have a link that I'm going to pm you regarding the American Mastiff and some information I found. Basically, this page is saying that their virtually identical to the English Mastiff, but are more dry mouthed.</STRONG>
I never got your PM, neither do I know what link you are talking about, however, it seems to me like the link you are referring to, is making the difference between the English Mastiff bred in the United Kingdom, and the English Mastiff bred in the U.S.A. You know, like the eternal debate about the German Rottweiler v. American Rottweiler

Nevertheless, for your information, I want you to know that is true that, here in States, this so-called "American mastiff" was created, as I already explained its origin and questionable development.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose71:
<STRONG> Also, my understanding is that there's a difference between "mastiff" and "Mastiff", one being a type of dog, the other being a breed, kind of like the term "Collie", make me think of "Lassie" type dog; however, there are other specific collie breeds such as the border collie. The information regarding Mastiffs is something I read over a year ago on the web, so I could be misinformed.</STRONG>
The real mastiff dogs are the ones I mentioned in my above reply. However, some dog breeds due to their appereance, size and substance, are referred to as "mastiff type dogs", such is the case of the Rottweiler, Great Dane, Boxer, etc. Thus, indicating similarities with the Ancient Mastiffs, like the English mastiff, Neapolitan mastiff, Tibetan mastiff, etc. And then there are created officially recognizwd breeds with mastiff blood genes in it, like the Fila, Dogo, Presa, etc. Can you see the differences now?

P.S.: The CKC is a joke. Send money and the send you registration papers.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:08 PM

The American Mastiff is a new breed registered with the CKC (Continental Kennel Club). This new breed hasn't yet met the requirments for the AKC. It is the English Mastiff crossed with the Anatolian, which resulted in the drymouth. Although, to my understanding, There are others that have been experimenting with crossing the English Mastiff with other breeds, this is the only one that is reconized by a Kennel Club. This breeder also breeds the English Mastiff as well. American Mastiff looks just like the English, just they have a higher lip line. I found them on the internet when researching English Mastiff. The breeder is in Ohio. They are also into breeding horses. Money isn't the issue in caring for our companions. We feel it would be best to have two instead of one. I am prepared for the work that lies ahead of me if we decide to bring one of these pups home. By that time Daisy will have completed her puppy school and ready for the next level. I was thinking that getting them young will make it easier for them to bond. But with both breeds being dominant (and large), I want to make sure it's not a known factor of an up hill battle.

Diane Conner

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

Old 06-19-2001, 01:29 PM

Quote:
<STRONG>The American Mastiff is a new breed registered with the CKC (Continental Kennel Club). This new breed hasn't yet met the requirments for the AKC. It is the English Mastiff crossed with the Anatolian, which resulted in the drymouth. Although, to my understanding, There are others that have been experimenting with crossing the English Mastiff with other breeds, this is the only one that is reconized by a Kennel Club. </STRONG>
I heard about that breed crossing about a year ago, and I laughed at it. Well, I guess anyone that crosses dog breeds can rely on the Continental Kennel Club to register their mutts, I mean, "breed"... and get away with it. Until I don't see in person one of those crosses of English Mastiff with Anatolian Shepherd Dog, or hear something from a reliable source, I reserve my judgement on such unknown so-called breed. Of course, I won't recommend it until then.

Sadly enough, the canine world is plagued by wannabe breeders messing with dog breeds all the time. Many of those wannabe breeders are attempting to create "the ultimate manstopper" (read: the most aggressive dog!). So what those idiots do is, they cross breeds with "potential" (aggression is their criteria) at will, in search for that "Cerberus" type of dog. Have you ever heard of the "Canis Panther"? Well, this is a mutt created in the ghetto of Chicago, by crossing Black Great Danes, Rottweilers, and Black Labradors... the end result? They called it the "Canis Panther"!!! What a joke! And how pitiful that is!

Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RottnKid1:
[QB]If you raise your Rottweiler right and continually socialize her with other dogs, then there shouldn't be a problem. You could take her to a doggy daycare a couple times a week.

I work at a kennel. As soon as her last set of shots are done (a week behing due to stomach virus when she was 12 weeks), She will be going to the kennel with me when I work. Although I do socialize her other ways with dogs, people, different enviroments. I thought this is another great way to socialize her with other dogs and enviroment. They are time and money consuming, and I am 200% ready for it. I don't want 3 or more dogs. Just 2 for companionship when they are home alone. which isn't that often. Daisy goes were ever I go as long as she is able to participate and not stuck in the car.

Diane Conner

Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 PM
One of the Old Folks

The Continental Kennel Club is a joke!!!
They will register any dogs (cockapoos,labradoodle etc.) As long as the "registration" fee is sent... they will register it.
Please,please find out more about this "breed" and this "breeder".... go to Continental Kennel Club dog show and see what one of these dogs looks like in real life. Don't buy a dog over the internet, this is something you will have for 10years or so and will be a big commitment in your life.
Do some more research. ;)

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 06-19-2001, 01:42 PM

Quote:
<STRONG>Although I love dogs in general..I am drawn to these breeds by their strenght, loyalty to owner, and the work they can be capable of. </STRONG>
That is why you have a Rottweiler ;)

Quote:
<STRONG>Through training classes I was introduced to the English Mastiff and fell in love with this breed as much for my love of the Rotti. </STRONG>
The Old English mastiff is the real deal. The so-called American mastiff is an unknown "breed". Obviously, the breeder of the A.M. will want you to believe that his dogs are the best in the world... but then again you hear that from every breeder ;)

Quote:
<STRONG>As for the American Mastiff (if we get)....I'm not sure yet. Until I met the pup and feel his personality it's hard to say. I would like to go therapy route with him as well. </STRONG>
As I already stated, I don't recommend the raising of two dogs, unless you are quite experienced, devoted and committed enough to do it right. Particularly, with two large powerful yet different breeds, with the potential to pack-up and develop aggression problems. I can tell you from my long life experience with dogs in general.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:50 PM

German,

I respect your opinion and that is fine. Not all breeds of dogs where just automatically here on earth. They were created by man through cross breeding. After years of the cross bred prooving their disposition, temperment and health and met the requirements of the Kennel club a new breed is born. I get the feeling you are thumbs down on CKC, your opinion and that's fine. This bred is the only American Mastiff that is reconized by a Kennel club. Even if it isn't the AKC, it has stepped up from the rest of the cross breds that are called American Mastiff. THeir main purpose was to breed out the low lip line that causes drewl. I have talked to people that have purchased this new breed from this breeder. So far I got all thumbs up. Temperments are wonderful. No alarming behaviors what so ever. Of course training is a definite recommendation in this breed.

Diane Conner

Old 06-19-2001, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brunie's mom:
<STRONG>The Continental Kennel Club is a joke!!!
They will register any dogs (cockapoos,labradoodle etc.) As long as the "registration" fee is sent... they will register it.
Please,please find out more about this "breed" and this "breeder".... go to Continental Kennel Club dog show and see what one of these dogs looks like in real life. Don't buy a dog over the internet, this is something you will have for 10years or so and will be a big commitment in your life.
Do some more research. ;)</STRONG>
THat is what I am doing. I also plan to take a visit to the breeder in Ohio to see their dogs and bitches. I want to see their temperment that everyone (who purchases a pup from them) are taking about. We have been looking at the English Mastiff in our local area as well.

Diane Conner

Old 06-19-2001, 02:10 PM

Quote:
<STRONG> German,

I respect your opinion and that is fine. Not all breeds of dogs where just automatically here on earth. They were created by man through cross breeding. </STRONG>
I know that quite well. However, selective breeding is the way to obtain desired positive results. Now, please you tell me, what are the advantages of crossing an Old English Mastiff with an Anatolian Shepherd Dog?! Please, illustrate for us, and elaborate in detail, what was the purpose for such crossing?... And what positive improvements were achieved?!

Quote:
<STRONG> I get the feeling you are thumbs down on CKC, your opinion and that's fine. This bred is the only American Mastiff that is reconized by a Kennel club. </STRONG>
For your information, the Continental Kennel Club is a dog registry without International recognition. The CKC has a bad reputation for supporting careless breeding and prompt registration of "new" untested and unproven breeds, better known as mutts. For the CKC is all about revenue and profit. Lots of money is involved in a dog registry business... also commonly refer to as scams ;)

Quote:
<STRONG> I have talked to people that have purchased this new breed from this breeder. So far I got all thumbs up. Temperments are wonderful. No alarming behaviors what so ever. </STRONG>
How many people could that be?... And how verifiable are those references? Are they relatives or friends of the breeder?... Anyway, I don't hear any working abilities at all, except that is a giant dog. Perhaps a "couch potato" kind of pet?

Closed Thread