Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 11:00 PM

What are some differences between Male and Female Rotties

My wife and i are looking to get our First Rottweiler, and we think we want a Female. What are some differences between the 2? What are some good names for a Female Rottie?

Old 12-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Valued Member

I think my next dog(rescue.heehee) will be a male. But thats our preference only because we have 2 females at the time(Doesn't mean that is going to happen). Many people always say should we get a male or a female. I just can't concentrate on that. I have to look at the dog as an individual. Does his/her traits fit us? Does he or she get along with the others? Does he or she fit right? Some say Females are harder while others say males will give you a challenge. I just can't go with all that and I myself have to just go with what fits at the time. Is the dog right? Does he/she fit right? Can we go with this? Can we live with this for the next 2 decades if needed?...... Sex just has never been an issue with me.

As far as a name, I never pick a name till they-are home and ours, and I pick what fits them as an individual.........;)

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 12-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Valued Member

Brian&Carissa:

If males were exactly one way and females exactly another way, your question would be easy to answer.

However, since every dog is a unique individual, your question is impossible to answer. The toughest Rottie I ever owned--by far and away--was a bitch. Tallinn had breath-taking self confidence; she was the type of arrogant dog who expected the trees to get out of her way when she walked thru the forest. One of the easiest Rottie sI owned was a male.

My recommendation is you concentrate on the characteristics you want in your dog and not concern yourself with the dog's sex.

Are you looking into rescue??

Here's the list of PA Rottie rescue groups (from NERR's site):

PENNSYLVANIA:
Loving Hearts Rottweiler Rescue and Referral
215-822-7885
Loving Hearts Rottweiler Rescue and Referral
chopperroxie@snip.net

Central PA, Northern Central WV, northern MD
Mount Union, PA
814-542-4016
Homeless Rottweilers of Central PA
tiastar@uplink.net

RR1 Box 1095,Woods Rd.
570-798-2028
Big Paws Rescue
bigpawsrescue1@aol.com

Dotty McKeon
215 675-9973
Eastern area near Philadelphia

Rottweiler Rescue of NW Pennsylvania
Animal Appeal - Yvonne
(724) 962-9284

Southeastern PA
Currently referrals only.
Dawn Rexrode
717-382-9807

As far as names go, your dog may already be named--NERR names their dogs. Sometimes forever families keep their dog's name, sometimes they change it.

A good name for your Rottie is whatever name you chose to give your dog. Within reason, of course!

Old 12-29-2002, 12:06 AM

As others have said...think about the character of the dog you want and what you plan on doing with the dog...how it will fit into your lifestyle...then look for those characteristics. If you are going through a good knowlegable breeder, s/he should be able to help you pick a pup with the basic personality that you want.

I've had four males and one female...I like males for the purely shallow reason that I like the way they look! My closest friend has three females...her first was a female and she adored that dog, so she just kept on getting girls... :)

Names...I also wait to see which name "fits" once I get a dog or puppy. There are a ton of name sites on the internet, just do a search for ideas.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:14 AM
Valued Member

I rescued my girl from animal control and she is the perfect dog for us. As everyone has mentioned, don't look at the sex of the dog, look at the personality. Since we all assume that you are going to spay/neuter, sex really doesn't matter.

As for names, my mom always taught us to give our dogs people names. The first dog my family owned when I was a child came with the name Snow. Imagine hollering that in July when the dang dog got out of the yard.

Old 12-29-2002, 02:12 PM

Hi, I own both a male and female Rottie and I have notiched differences between the 2 sexes. Personally I think the males are more territorial then the bitches . Both are loving, sweet and protective with their families but I think my female is more accepting of strangers then my male. Even with all the socializtion and training, he is still watchful of people he does not know. Once he gets to know them he is a big loveable mush. My female is dominent but she was still much easier to train and more accepting of strangers then my male. He is a sweetie but very challengeing at times. Both sexes are wonderful in their own way, the way I see it is go meet the pups and the one that grabs your heart is the one!

Pretty names for female rotties : Sierrra, Storm, Roxy, Savannah, Brandi ( Brandi is my girls name..hee..hee!)

Best of luck to you !!:D

Last edited by KRISSIE; 12-29-2002 at 02:23 PM.

Old 12-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Vintage Valued Member

:) I'm agreing with what most poeple have said already. It's the fit of the dog over sex.;)

That said, my breeder felt (generalized terms of course) that females were perhaps a bit easier to train. But then, Rottie owners have to understand the human IS ALPHA, no matter which sex you're dealing with.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:17 PM

its been my findings over the years that they didnt call them bitches for no reason lol

Old 12-29-2002, 04:57 PM

I did my research on both sexes and talked with knowledgeable rottie owners before I decided a female was right for us. However, if I decide to add a second rottie to the family, I will go for a male. I've heard that males tend to generally be a bit more stubborn than females, and may challenge you more than a female. But, as the others have said, each dog is an individual. :)

I like the name Xena and Xanja. I almost went with Xanja, but chose the name Xena because it fit her better. My sister in law just got a new rottie pup and she named her "Sedona." I agree with the others, get your dog and if it is not already named, then you can come up with a name that fits him/her later.

Old 12-30-2002, 09:42 AM

> What are some differences between Male and Female Rotties

Female rottweiler's heads are smaller. I prefer that look. Although my Brother's dog, Rocky, is a beautiful rott, I like the look of Athena, my female much better :D

Old 12-30-2002, 09:58 AM

I personally like females better. I think their smaller head and generally smaller body make them look "better" to me. That being said I like the big square head male also.

I think the most important thing is getting the "right" pup for you and your family. Talk to different breeders and when you choose your breeder let them help you select the right pup for you.

Which ever you get you be getting a dog who gived you uncondtional love and championship for life. Please consider a rescue Rottie.

Old 12-30-2002, 06:03 PM

I personally have come to like females better than the males. I have had males and females and I come to realize that i like the females better. they are more protective and smarter I think and that has happened at least with the dog's i've had. but, again it just depends on each person. As for names you have to see them and see what name fits that dog. My female(rainbow bridge) she was Mercedez and that's what my husband named her since we couldn't afford a mercedes benz she was named for that. my male is Angus, my female pups 7 months old are Dakota & Cinder. Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2002, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by My3Rotties
i like the females better. they are more protective and smarter I think
Oh good, I thought it was just me! LOL
I have only "owned" one female and just recently adopted my first male, but I have fostered quite a few of both sexes. I said the same thing you did to a friend not too long ago...the girls seem smarter and more protective! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the boys too but they are such testerone-fueled, goofy, rock-heads sometimes! Unfortunately my girl is pretty bitch-aggressive so I have only fostered males for the past couple years and I truly do MISS the girls!!! :-(
Most people I know prefer the males, so I'm happy to find someone else who agrees with me because now I don't feel so abnormal! ;) :D

Old 12-30-2002, 09:28 PM

Walks take a lot longer with males. Gotta pee on everything!

Old 12-30-2002, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Walks take a lot longer with males. Gotta pee on everything!
ROFLMAO!!! :D

I don't know that walks take longer with males...my female has to stop and sniff all those "spots." LOL ;)