Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 04:22 PM

DIY Doggie Door?

Our boys have their own part of the garage with a door that leads into the back yard. Over the nice and warm months of weather we leave the door open so they can go in and out at will. Well with it getting cooler out we decided to go looking for a doggie door to install so that they don't have the wind and snow junk coming in their part of the garage. We went to petsmart and pets supplies plus and both placed the extra large door was well over $150.00 My husband, a pretty good do-it yer selfer was thinking of making our own doggie door. Basically we have a wood door that has enough room to cut a hole for them to go thru but where wondering what sturdy material we could use to keep the snow and rain out? Any ideas or thoughts ?

Old 10-17-2002, 05:29 PM

I hear you - my home is set up exactly the same way , I have designated the garage as my babies play room with the laundry room (doggie door leads to that also) for their bed area... I have installed two doggie doors one leading from the garage to the laundry room and one leading outside...(Pet Safe from Petsmart) leading to outside... the ONLY problem with the rubber flap is with the amount of use it gets it I need to replace it EVERY 5/6 months and thought about creating a DIY door myself... I was worried though about the material I use just incase they get trapped between the door coming in and out - as all four of them are on each others tails - so I too am in the thought process of how I can make a door flap which is not going to trap them but is easy for them to use... if i think of anything I will let you know...
Amber - 4 year old female rottie (adopted)
Jade - 2.5 year old female rottie (adopted)
2 parakeets

rescue group- www.tails-of-hope.org

Old 10-17-2002, 06:13 PM

I'm also a "do it yourself" person and although I don't have a doggie door right know, I have been thinking about it for a while..

In my case, my Iby knows how to push doors with her snout so I was thinking of making a double door, kinda the ones in the cantinas in the wild west movies, the ones that open out and in.. I don't know if I explained myself corerctly..

And to prevent any injury for getting her paws trapped, I though of making the doors 2 inches shorter (or smaller) in heigth and replace that part with some rubbery thingy to prevent air from comming..

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it will work.. but it's worth a try :D

Carolina :)

Old 10-17-2002, 07:57 PM

Or....you could always look at the online pet catalogs, New England Serum and Care a Lot Pets come to mind. They always have VERY responsible prices, and MUCH cheaper than PetsMart or any of the big chain stores. That's where I bought mine at. We have two doggie doors from house to garage, and from garage to outside. Even check ebay cause I see them there all the time--much cheaper.
I'm NOT a diy person, so I prefered having a pattern and all the materials I would need laid out right in front of me! :) Even then, I ended up having to call one of my male friends to come over with a special saw since I have a steel door!
Good luck!!!

Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 PM

How about a mud flap from a semi truck? Bet you could find a used one pretty easily, they often get torn off & the brackets bent when backing over a curb or something, and seems to me they'd be about the right size.

I'm kind of a doityourselfer too...when I'm trying to figure something out like this I go to a big box hardware store & wander the aisles waiting for that aha! moment of inspiration.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:31 AM

Carolina - DO NOT use bat wing doors for a doggie door. The double doors that meet in the middle are dangerous for dogs. If the dog goes half way thru and tries to backup they act like a chinese handcuff. Once the dog gets caught, the doors tighten as he pulls to try to get out. If the door happens to catch him behind the head it could be fatal.

The mud flap idea is a good one. It would work well hinged at the top rather than firmly attached. There are also several good poly carbonate materials available from your local plastics outlets.

The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. - - Theodorus Gaza

Old 10-18-2002, 07:00 AM

Great Ideas so far guys!! My husband was also thinking about the mud flaps from a big ole truck. This weekend we may actually start construction, depending on how busy the weekend gets, esp. with Sweetest Day, which is also our 5 year anniversary!!!

Old 10-18-2002, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tilerspop
Carolina - DO NOT use bat wing doors for a doggie door. The double doors that meet in the middle are dangerous for dogs. If the dog goes half way thru and tries to backup they act like a chinese handcuff. Once the dog gets caught, the doors tighten as he pulls to try to get out. If the door happens to catch him behind the head it could be fatal.
Thanks.. haven't though of that one

Carolina :)

Old 10-18-2002, 06:41 PM

Here are some pics.of a homemade doggie door.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fd26e162.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/fd26e160.jpg

The door is made of waterproof plywood. It is mounted on a frame a little smaller than the door and the frame is placed out of level so it will close of itself. (You have to teach the dog to open it by the nose.) Itís not heavy and wonít harm even it hits the dog. I have used such kind of doors for all my dogs since puppy hood and itís good enough for a Danish winter.