Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2002, 08:50 PM

Hunting with Rottweilers?

I live in Alaska and am into the hunting and fishing scene. Does anyone have any experience with hunting black bears with rotties? I know that historically they have been used for hunting bear but I am not sure if this is a trait that they still carry. If anyone has any info on books or resources that would be greatly appreciated. I am very familiar with using hounds and terriers...but rotties?

Just curious...someone mentioned to me that this might be possible.

thx
Arctic Dog

Old 08-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Valued Member

Wow, I didn't know they had been used for that. Seriously, that is not their heritage. Herding, dray work, and guarding are the working heritage of the Rottweiler.

How did you plan on using the dog in your hunting? Tracking - they are good trackers if trained for it, but have not been used to track game to my knowlege. The hounds track game from pure instinct. The Rottweiler and other working breeds are trained to track - usually man to my knowlege, but for a hound it come naturally. I've not hunted bear, but lion and I would expect the same breeds would be suitable. I hope you were not thinking of sending a dog in against a bear like a terrier is sent in against varmits.

Seriously, it is best to use a breed that has centuries of being designed for the work and for running game to earth, that would be the hounds.

Old 08-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Ancient Valued Member

As said above it is not something they've ever been bred to do.

I know out west they use Rott X Airedale mixes in addition to the more typical Plot Hounds (bred for bear and boar hunting- a really tough breed), English CoonHounds, Treeing Walker CoonHounds, black & Tan coonhound and Redbone hounds for hunting Mountain lions But I've never heard of anyone using a pure Rott.

Here in New England (NH actually) the bear hunters use the above hound breeds as well as a couple I've met have had Treeing Walker X American Bulldog mixes but no Rotts or rott mixes

It is truely best for bear, boar and cat hunting to use the breeds that were bred for it. It's a dangerous thing to try to teach a breed with no instinct for it as the goal is to chase the bear or cat until it trees or comes to bay and hold it until the hunter comes to kill or photograph it at which point the hounds are leashed to get them out of the way and if photographing-so that the animal can go off after they leave

Delphi Rottweilers in Florida used to have a couple Rotts they duck hunted with and I had one I grouse hunted with (Darla) but that is much less dangerous if the dog messes up because it does not have the instinct for the job
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 08-04-2002, 09:56 PM

I read a one liner in one rottweiler book (not sure which one...will look it up) that they were rumored to have been used for bear hunting.

No, definitely not interested in sending MY dog in to fight a bear like a terrier fights a fox. Love my dog a little tooooo much for something like that :D ! Unless proven to be done with great success I don't think I would ever be comfortable sending him in to tree a bear.

You are right, the hounds do it instinctually...the only thing I can figure is that they must have used them just for scent tracking, not treeing, which would make sense to me.

Last edited by ArcticDog; 08-04-2002 at 10:10 PM.

Old 08-04-2002, 10:03 PM

Frontierrots,

Wow! How did you teach him to hunt grouse? That's awesome! Did it work pretty good? I never considered teaching him to hunt birds. Their are so many grouse and Ptarmigan here it's almost no effort.

Old 08-04-2002, 10:36 PM

Hunting discussed in the History Thread

Hey guys!

What a coincidence! We're discussing this same subject in the history thread! Homerhomer and Krissie found a painting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from Antwerp, Austria, around the 1600s showing the nobility hunting fox and wolf with a dog that look identical to the Rottweiler, and it is known that they had access to the dogs from Rotweil. We're currently doing our own study, and I have found at least one "modern" source from a guy in the Milwawkee region who claims his Rottweiler was his best hunting dog.

We just started our study, and we plan to do some thorough research; however, it looks like there's a solid base for us to believe the Rottweiler was used in some capacity as a hunting dog. Right now, our earliest inclinations are that the dog was primarily used to take down prey once found, but that's just an early guess. Feel free to join that discussion as well!

Mark

Old 08-05-2002, 12:32 AM
Valued Member

A very knowledgable person told me once that the reason rottweilers were banned from herding in Germany 100 years ago was that the law that banned them stated that any breed that was used for hunting can not also be used for herding. Another person told me that rotts were used in Russia(and other northern countries) to hunt boar. I don't know if this was just tracking or what.
My male once got a teenage peacock. He didn't harm it, but he certainly got it, but only for a moment before he was made to give it up. Because of that I never thought he would herd ducks, but he does a great job at it.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 08-05-2002, 12:44 AM

fbkeays,

I wander if you would be able to contact this person and find out where he/she found heard about the hunting-herding law in Germany? I have never heard of that, but it would make sense since the prey drive would be too much for a hunting dog to herd livestock. I know the advent of the railroad had a lot to do with the Rotties demise regarding the herding of cattle, but I've often wondered why it wasn't kept as a sheep herding dog. Perhaps that is the answer.

Mark

Old 08-05-2002, 01:54 PM

rottweilers hunting....yes

rottweilers are so smart and trainable they can be taught and used for anything imaginable, were I live in this tiny little town of less then 600 people now there is a man here that has two rottweilers that he uses for bear hunting I havent got to talk to him yet but his dogs are beautiful, two males, as soon as I get a chance tho I will talk to him about his dogs, and I do know he also takes his dogs duck hunting with him as I have seen them hunting with him for duck.

rompinrottie

Old 08-05-2002, 02:51 PM

Possible Hunting Scenario

In the History thread, we are talking about a possible scenario that I want to run by you guys. If a hunter on horseback, such as is the hunters in the painting, had scent hounds to track down the fox and wolf, and their Rottweilers kept close to the hunters until the prey was found, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that the Rottweilers could have been trained to take down the found prey on command? I base this idea primarily on my own dog's prey drive and desire to stay by my side, but she's usually got a very high prey drive and loves to chase and take down my other dogs in play. Take a look at the last few posts in that thread and see what you think in regards to their hunting ability from a historical viewpoint. It might help piece together an important part of the puzzle.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 AM

Re: Hunting discussed in the History Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_sherry View Post
Hey guys!

What a coincidence! We're discussing this same subject in the history thread! Homerhomer and Krissie found a painting at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from Antwerp, Austria, around the 1600s showing the nobility hunting fox and wolf with a dog that look identical to the Rottweiler, and it is known that they had access to the dogs from Rotweil. We're currently doing our own study, and I have found at least one "modern" source from a guy in the Milwawkee region who claims his Rottweiler was his best hunting dog.

We just started our study, and we plan to do some thorough research; however, it looks like there's a solid base for us to believe the Rottweiler was used in some capacity as a hunting dog. Right now, our earliest inclinations are that the dog was primarily used to take down prey once found, but that's just an early guess. Feel free to join that discussion as well!

Mark
a bit off topic but i'm currently looking for some nice paintings that show the bravery of the breed (rotties) and if you can provide a bit more info in obtaining anything related to what you have mentioned, it would be great.
Trying to get a couple of nice paintings and photographs around the house that represent the breed and how strong the dogs can be trained for. Among other things of course.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 AM

Re: Hunting with Rottweilers?

My male has a hate on for black bears. We've run into them quite a few times in the back country. He's chased and treed them most every time.

This year I've taken to not letting him off lead at all in the bush, we have seen so many.(no terrain to be losing your dog). His drive to chase bears is very high.

Even at home if he smells one outside he has this weird whine/howl combo that is just maddening. He has to be crated 'till he calms down.

So what you shoot it after it has run up a tree fearing for it's life? That sucks!! I like black bears, they're basically peaceful beings that go out of their way to avoid confrontation. I feel lucky everytime I get to watch one do it's thing( mostly berries and grubs). I'd rather take a picture than kill for sport. But hey!!..that's just me.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:05 AM

Found this AndOne707

http://www.muttart.com/hoover/rottie_lg.html

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM

This thread is old, but I'll climb aboard.

If you were hunting back in the day would you not want a dog with you? Whether it was to tree something, spook it, or retrieve it for you?

Bears are cool, I agree. But I would be proud of my dog if he wanted to chase bears. That says a lot about instinct.

That is how bears were hunted for the most part; dog chases and trees; owner shoots to kill. Its easy and bears were a threat afterall.

People talk a lot about prey drive here and then wonder what it is and how it works.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanershnitzel View Post
My male has a hate on for black bears. We've run into them quite a few times in the back country. He's chased and treed them most every time.

This year I've taken to not letting him off lead at all in the bush, we have seen so many.(no terrain to be losing your dog). His drive to chase bears is very high.

Even at home if he smells one outside he has this weird whine/howl combo that is just maddening. He has to be crated 'till he calms down.

So what you shoot it after it has run up a tree fearing for it's life? That sucks!! I like black bears, they're basically peaceful beings that go out of their way to avoid confrontation. I feel lucky everytime I get to watch one do it's thing( mostly berries and grubs). I'd rather take a picture than kill for sport. But hey!!..that's just me.
I agree! I think useless killing is wrong and selfish. Now if you are hunting for food that is a little different...but how many people eat bear???