Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2002, 05:26 PM

What age do they stop growing?

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what age my dogs will be when they stop growing upwards!!!!!!!! That is, their height. I have been told that they mature at around 18 months?
But would like to have some idea on how tall they will be.

Also an approximate on their estimated weight at fully grown.

Thanks
Miss Lucy.

Old 07-31-2002, 05:58 PM

Well...I have 4 rotties, all have unknown backgrounds.

Ben is 3 yrs old, I adopted him at 10 months old, at a weight of aout 75 lbs. he's 3 yrs old and weight is 82 lbs and he is about 22 inches tall at the top of his shoulder blades (the withers on a horse). He's about 10-11 inches wide at the widest part of his chest (my midget rottie!). That's as big as he'll get - he stopped growing at about 2 yrs old I think.

Baker is about 5 yrs old, adopted at about 3 yrs old. he weighs in at a whopping 125 lbs (should be at about 115, we're working on it!), and he stand about 26-27 inches tall, and is about 14 inches wide at the chest.

Cheyanne is about 6-7, weight is 96, about 24 inches tall, probably 12 inches width at the chest.

Thelda is the 'fat old broad'. About 7-8 yrs old, about 130 lbs (and REALLY fat - on a diet but not working, having thyroid tested this week), she should be about 95-100. About the same height as Ben but much wider at the chest - big boned girl...probably about 13-14 inches wide.

According to the AKC website, a rottie when fully grown should be half as wide as it is tall (24 inches tall should be 12 inches wide) but it varies in all dogs.

I was told they stop growing UP and then the grow OUT...so height comes before width...and that takes about a full 2-3 yrs...

Mentally, some NEVER grow up!

At 18 months, you've got yourself a typical rottie teenager..genetics plays a big role in what they'll grow up to look like, so if you have chance to see the parents, you'll be able to get a better idea of what your dog will look like.

I guess what I'm trying to say is tehre really is not cut and dried answer to your question :D . But hope this helped a bit!

Old 07-31-2002, 05:59 PM

My rottie stopped growing in height at 12 months, but he filled out until he was two years old.:)

Old 07-31-2002, 08:32 PM

Thanks heaps for the info.
:)

Miss Lucy

Old 08-01-2002, 07:42 AM
Ancient Valued Member

Generally, girls grow in height til 18 months and boys until 24 months (but both grow slowly after 12 months)

Body and head width can take until 5 years old to finish depending upon lines. Mine take 4-5 years to be done and fully physically mature
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13