Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 02:29 PM

Black Face?

I was recently at the store when a gentleman came up next to my car as I was getting out and was looking at sassy my three year old female rott.He took one look and said oh a black face?Now I was really not familiar with this term and I asked the man what he was talking about?He then proceeded to tell me that she must be a german as she is so dark in color and has an almost completely black face?Now she was born and bred in germany but I have seen quite a few other german dogs that were not dark like her in color so I just assumed it was a color variation that happens in the breed?She is a dark amber and black in color and her face is almost black the amber markings are so dark that you really have to look for them.Is this a german trait or is it just a rott color variation?

Old 03-12-2002, 02:38 PM

Re: Black Face?

Quote:
Originally posted by SASSY'S DAD
Is this a german trait or is it just a rott color variation?
Just a colour variation. "Smutty" markings (not clearly defined, dark) are a show fault. But they don't originate from any one location. You can get dark faces from anywhere!

Old 03-12-2002, 02:59 PM

Yhe thing is the markings are not smutty and the breed standard is dark amber in color these are dark amber not the light tan or dtraw color I have seen alot of.So from what I have seen it isn;t a show fault it is a breed standard.the markings are dark but not blackened or smutty.But thank you for the feedback and info

Old 03-12-2002, 03:22 PM

the AKC standard

Color

Always black with rust to mahogany markings. The demarcation between black and rust is to be clearly defined. The markings should be located as follows: a spot over each eye; on cheeks; as a strip around each side of muzzle, but not on the bridge of the nose; on throat; triangular mark on both sides of prosternum;on forelegs from carpus downward to the toes; on inside of rear legs showing down the front of the stifle and broadening out to front of rear legs from hock to toes, but not completely eliminating black from rear of pasterns; un-der tail; black penciling on toes. The undercoat is gray, tan, or black. Quantity and location of rust markings is important and should not exceed ten percent of body color. Serious Faults--Straw-colored, excessive, insufficient or sooty markings; rust marking other than described above; white marking any place on dog (a few rust or white hairs do not constitute a marking). Disqualifications--Any base color other than black; absence of all markings.

Old 03-12-2002, 03:25 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean it the way it was written. Here's what I meant:

A darker colour is just a colour variation.

"Smutty" markings (not clearly defined, dark) are a show fault.

Colour variations don't originate from any one location. You can get dark faces from anywhere!

I hope that reads better! :)

Old 03-12-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by SASSY'S DAD
Yhe thing is the markings are not smutty and the breed standard is dark amber in color these are dark amber not the light tan or dtraw color I have seen alot of.

Our last rescues are the same way, they
have the most beautiful coloring even
their black coats seem darker or deeper
black, if that's possible.

I have some pictures of them I'll try to
get posted to show the difference as soon as I can. Not exactly
sure how to post pics.

Old 03-12-2002, 11:43 PM

TrishB:

Don't you mean "smudgy" markings??

Old 03-13-2002, 10:41 AM

Smutty, Smudgey, Sooty (I think they use sooty in the standard)....

Take your pick! ;) We all know what we mean. :)

Old 03-13-2002, 02:03 PM

Don't feel back. My Rocky has a darker face and legs. On his legs it looks like someone was trying to make his legs look more shaddy in some parts with black paint (I have brushed, it is just his coat!)
That was the firs thing I noticed of him, he's quite dark, but doesn't matter to us, he's a friendly, playful, happy pet puppy.

Nikki