Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Rottweiler Experts, please give advice

My friend has a Boston Terrier and I have a Rottie. Both love to play, they are the same age. The Boston came over and my Rottie was AMAZING with her. She shared all her toys, they chased each other playing keep away with the toy. My rottie was so gentle, never slammed into her, gave her the toy at times so she could run with it. At times, mostly when the Boston was sitting on my friend's lap, if my Rottie went near her, she would show her teeth and act like she was going to bite. My Rottie simply turned her head as if to say, "What the heck just happened?" The Boston did it several times. I'm very worried about them playing again. I don't want my dog bitten and of course I don't want her to lose patience and accidentally hurt the Boston. My friend and I were so happy when they were playing so nicely and had hoped for a good friendship between them. Is this a recipe for disaster?
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1081039 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Valued Member

Re: Rottweiler Experts, please give advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
At times, mostly when the Boston was sitting on my friend's lap, if my Rottie went near her, she would show her teeth and act like she was going to bite. ... The Boston did it several times. I'm very worried about them playing again. I don't want my dog bitten and of course I don't want her to lose patience and accidentally hurt the Boston. My friend and I were so happy when they were playing so nicely and had hoped for a good friendship between them. Is this a recipe for disaster?
The Boston was resource guarding his owner. So as long as there isn't anything to resource guard, the Boston should be fine with your rottweiler. I would not play at the Boston's house and I would not use any of the Boston's own toys to play with. When the Boston is with his owner, the rottweiler is not to go near.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Fbkeays is right on. Also if the Boston does it when she is in her owners lap, have the owner immediately stand up and dump the dog off or just put the dog down on the ground. Good for your dog that she respected the Boston's space! I personally would still let them still play, just keep an eye out. Sounds like your girl is doing great!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinJF View Post
Good for your dog that she respected the Boston's space! I personally would still let them still play, just keep an eye out. Sounds like your girl is doing great!
Agree with Kristin on this and your girl is doing great.

There's always a possibility that your's girl's patience could get stretched thin if the Boston continues and keeps throwing an aggressive stance even if its now & then with your girl.

What does your friend do when her Boston displays this behavior- does she correct him right there ?

The expectation is the owner should- correct any/ all un-wanted behaviors right then and there- this way the humans are controlling and not just an audience to whats folding out. And in the process weed out unwanted behavior as it pops up. (but many small dog owners don't and they think its cute)

Letting this behavior continue sets a wrong precedence and there's a chance of your dog learning this unwanted behavior.

I have been in this situation a few times- running in with badly behaved Splitz and dashunds, usually i wait for a moment for their owners to take action. If they don't- I step in to correct their dogs. It is not always pleasant (who likes others correcting their dogs) but it rather be than allowing my girl to be bullied or worse resulting into a dog fight where one gets spit out like a chew toy

Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Valued Member

Francis hit the nail on the head. Follow her advice and your boy/girl will have a nice play date to enjoy. Especially seeing how yours knows how to handle things by relaying to the Boston she wants no harm and isn't a threat when she turned her head away from the situation. Had she reacted negatively to the showing of teeth by the Boston then I would be even more cautious.

Dog ownership is like a rainbow. Puppies are the joy at one end. Old dogs are the treasure at the other.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone. The owner of the Boston corrects the dog, but it doesn't seem to stop her from doing it again. It happened several times, each time my girl just turned her head. My girl started to look uncomfortable after it happened several times, that's when I got worried. I was so proud of my girl, sharing her toys and just turning her head. I will let them play again and hope that they can become friends. If the Boston keeps showing teeth, while they are playing and not just when she is sitting on my friend's lap, what then? Will I know when my girl has had enough of that? Things can happen so quickly with dogs, I just don't want anything bad to happen. This is my closest friend's dog, and I cherish her friendship. It would be awful if anything went wrong.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Valued Member

Learn to read your dog. When things happen "quickly" you will have signs before that. When any of my dogs are playing with other dogs, I never take my eyes off them. You can more likely than not intervene before it escalates to something. If anytime you get an uncomfortable feeling with the playing, I end it then and there. Usually my gut feeling is right on.

Dog ownership is like a rainbow. Puppies are the joy at one end. Old dogs are the treasure at the other.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Will I know when my girl has had enough of that
Learn everything you can about a dogs body language. I don't think there is ever a time that a mentally stable, sound dog just "snaps" without signs prior.
I only learned more about it myself a couple of years ago and boy, I was missing more than half the conversation!
Now I know exactly when someone is tired and getting a bit grumpy, or when walking - what makes them uncomfortable long before we come to it so I can deal with it before my dog "all of a sudden" growls or barks, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The owner of the Boston corrects the dog, but it doesn't seem to stop her from doing it again. It happened several times, each time my girl just turned her head. My girl started to look uncomfortable after it happened several times, that's when I got worried. I was so proud of my girl, sharing her toys and just turning her head. I will let them play again and hope that they can become friends. If the Boston keeps showing teeth, while they are playing and not just when she is sitting on my friend's lap, what then? Will I know when my girl has had enough of that? Things can happen so quickly with dogs, I just don't want anything bad to happen. This is my closest friend's dog, and I cherish her friendship. It would be awful if anything went wrong.
This is the reason you were advised to have your friend simply stand up and spill the Boston from her lap. It completely changes the situation and defuses the aggressive response immediately without creating conflict.

The Boston believes she owns her person instead of the other way around.

This guarding behavior has nothing to do with the play between the dogs. This is more of a dog/owner issue, but the aggression can and will escalate as the dog displays the lap guarding aggression and invaders are vanquished; the dog in lap builds more bravado. This is one of the most common issues with smaller dogs I see when I get training calls.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone. I will try this and hopefully my girl and the Boston can play together.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
Learn to read your dog. When things happen "quickly" you will have signs before that. When any of my dogs are playing with other dogs, I never take my eyes off them. You can more likely than not intervene before it escalates to something. If anytime you get an uncomfortable feeling with the playing, I end it then and there. Usually my gut feeling is right on.
Reading your dog, or any dog for that matter is extremely important. Even though it might appear there aren't signs of a situation going south ... the signs are there, no matter how small or imperceptable.

You stated that you cherish your friendship with the owner of the Boston, therefore I'd do everything possible to ensure that that friendship is never compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearsmom View Post
This is the reason you were advised to have your friend simply stand up and spill the Boston from her lap. It completely changes the situation and defuses the aggressive response immediately without creating conflict.

This guarding behavior has nothing to do with the play between the dogs. This is more of a dog/owner issue, but the aggression can and will escalate as the dog displays the lap guarding aggression and invaders are vanquished; the dog in lap builds more bravado. This is one of the most common issues with smaller dogs I see when I get training calls.
Your friend must do as several members have advised, or you will be trying to solve a predictable two-sided problem by approaching it from only one end.
Obtw, the Boston is a female? Don't overlook SSA.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

I did worry about the SSA. The Boston is an alpha female. My friend has other dogs, all males and I think she is the boss. My Rottie was raised with a female Labrador, however, the lab is very, very submissive. In fact, my lab likes having more of an alpha dog around, she was raised with an alpha female labrador. When we lost the older alpha Labrador, my other lab used to hide under the bed whenever she heard a noise. Ever since we got the Rottie, my labrador never hides anymore. It seems like by having the Rottie around, it gave her more confidence. So in my house, the Rottie is top dog and in my friend's house, the Boston is top dog. Both females. So that part did worry me when I let them play. My Rottie (Lucy) is so wonderful, calm and was so patient with the Boston. I just don't want to push her patience to the limit. I will watch for signs of her getting uncomfortable and at that point, I will have to end the play date.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I will watch for signs of her getting uncomfortable and at that point, I will have to end the play date.
Better to end it too soon than too late. Just follow your gut. If something doesn't sit right, end it on a good note. You seem ready to watch for any small signs of annoyance/discomfort so I think you should be fine.

I don't know anything about SSA other than what I've read here so I have no input on that.

Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearsmom View Post
This is the problem with most small breeds, lap dogs, ankle biters or whatever else you want to call them. The biggest problem is that most of these owners think it is is cute and really don't do anything about it.

I would also bet the Boston does it also with people and not just other dogs when in their subordinates lap.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 PM

I would add that things might change depending on each of the dogs ages....you mentioned they are close in age, if that means under two, I would be very watchful, as most of my female Rottie's have developed an intolerance for other bitches (no matter the breed) once they turn two.

My male on the other hand is now 3 years old and he has never had a cross look at my 1 year old male Cavalier/Shih Tzu cross. And while my toy mix has tried the resource guarding of me, it is quickly interrupted when he is dumped off my lap for that bad behavior....we are still working on him understanding that it is not acceptable, as we all know not all dogs are as smart as Rottie's!

Good Luck and let the girls play just keep a keen eye on them, never leave them alone - even if for a second and always be prepared to address the issue if need be.
Marauder's Born To Be Wild v Remington AKA "Chaos"