Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Homeowners Insurance in Florida?

I know there are a ton of boards regarding insurance, but some of them are from a few years ago and I would like accurate information. I will be buying a house in the next 6-months or so and would like to know if any insurance companies in Florida would cover me with a rottweiler? Crash has no negative history, is trained and very social..Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Re: Homeowners Insurance in Florida?

I would call around to different insurance companies to get the most accurate information. I did that when we bought our house, but here in wyoming they don't have the restrictions that alot of states do.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Did you find a company?

I had STate Farm, dropped them and now wish I had them... They left state... :-(

I now have another company who doesn't cover my dog. Their inspector came by one day when I first got coverage; I had a Rottie sticker at my front door and Tommy came to the door when I opened it. I walked outside and he told me who he was (OH CRAP!) He asked what kind of dog I had, quickly I said a Black Lab lol! I don't think he believed me but I guess he kept quiet in his report because I was never canceled. I know this is at my own risk but I have not found a good company in Florida that also covers rotties.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 AM

I recently went shopping for new insurance due to State Farm jumping my premium to just over $3600 a year for a nothing special house. I had two brokers shopping around and struck out with with just about company due to the dog. I was just about to go with Citizens, which doesn't have any coverage for pet liability. Because my house is 26 years old, I had to get a new wind mitigation inspection done. With the newer inspection, my rate with State Farm dropped to only $100 a year more than the Citizen policy. I stayed with State Farm.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly3136 View Post
I recently went shopping for new insurance due to State Farm jumping my premium to just over $3600 a year for a nothing special house. I had two brokers shopping around and struck out with with just about company due to the dog. I was just about to go with Citizens, which doesn't have any coverage for pet liability. Because my house is 26 years old, I had to get a new wind mitigation inspection done. With the newer inspection, my rate with State Farm dropped to only $100 a year more than the Citizen policy. I stayed with State Farm.
wow, you must live in south Florida, I thought $1100.00 a year was bad here in JAX

Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 AM

It was a bit of a shock for me too. When I lived in NY, I only paid 500 a year for insurance, but my taxes were $5000. Here, Vero Beach area, my taxes are just $1000 but I make it up with the insurance (and lower wages!).

Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 AM

i have not had any luck. my house is 87 years old and i have rotts. only citizens would take me, but they do not cover dog incidents. they just inspected my house...i am afraid to look what my renewal will be up to this year. will know in 4-6 weeks. insurance is very tough in florida...a nightmare in south florida. any excuse to drop you or kill you with rates. one of many reasons so much foreclosure here.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 PM

I don't know if you have Farm Family in Florida but I have it here and they know that I own a Rottweiler. I did give them a copy of his Temperament Test because there was a concern about the fact that we do Protection Sports.
Cohort, I'd be very careful about lying to your insurance company. It sucks but they can deny a claim for something that has nothing to do with your dog if they find out that you committed fraud. This happened recently to someone on this board.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by targonrotts View Post
i have not had any luck. my house is 87 years old and i have rotts. only citizens would take me, but they do not cover dog incidents. they just inspected my house...i am afraid to look what my renewal will be up to this year. will know in 4-6 weeks. insurance is very tough in florida...a nightmare in south florida. any excuse to drop you or kill you with rates. one of many reasons so much foreclosure here.
Have you gotten a recent wind mitigation survey? The newer updated one that I just got brought State Farms premium close enough to Citizens that I didn't have to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmom View Post
Cohort, I'd be very careful about lying to your insurance company. It sucks but they can deny a claim for something that has nothing to do with your dog if they find out that you committed fraud. This happened recently to someone on this board.
I agree with this 100%.....it really is not worth it financially.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Valued Member

We had State Farm for over 25 years and never, NEVER had one claim with them. This year they dropped us because we live 2 miles from the Gulf. Wrong zip code in their eyes!!

Because of where we live, only Citizens will cover us. They don't cover dogs period so it doesn't matter. I'm rottie free right now, but who knows down the road. It sucks for insurance in Florida!!

Also, you won't get anyone to insure you if there is a named storm out there. Right now we only have a tropical storm moving through and if I was trying to get insurance, no one would talk to me until all is clear!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 PM

yes, they just did the walk thru and .... me inspection. results in 4-6 weeks. i know my rates are gonna go up! no other company wants us because of house age, dogs, and close to miami river. they don't care about good dogs here....just what are their profit odds.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM

I did find a company who will insure the dogs outside of your Homeowners, they are in California but insure here. Not sure of prices but...

SOmething to look into if people want... (Not sure if I can post their website here)