Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Novice Member

Smile rottweiler or german shepherd

Hi,

what is the difference between a rotttie and a gsd in terms of temperament, behavior, exercise, and training?

Im thinking about getting a puppy.

Thanks
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1052678 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Re: rottweiler or german shepherd

Interesting you'd ask this of a Rotti forum....

My guess is you'd have to determine the parent's temperment to determine how you think the pup will turn out.

Not really sure you can generalize and be very accurate.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

If I were you, I would start by checking the standards for both breeds on the AKC website.

Rottweiler is here:
American Kennel Club - Rottweiler

GSD is here:
German Shepherd Dog | American Kennel Club

You can then look at the websites for the parent club for both dogs. I have personally never had a GSD and this is my first Rottweiler. Of course, I would choose a Rottweiler, but I think I am a little bias. Both dogs are breeds that would likely do best with an owner who will be able and willing to give them lots of training, exercise, and a job.

Also, make sure you do your research and know what you are getting into. If you are looking at getting a puppy, be sure to go to a quality breeder (lots of information here on how to find a good breeder). I am always in favor of rescue personally, but I guess that is not for everyone. Good luck finding the perfect new family member.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 PM

my gsd has a high prey drive and loves his walks and loves to run at the park
temperament he's stand offish towards strangers and take a long while to warm up to someone new out on the street my female rottie will walk up to everybody my amle rottie will just keep an eye on the person
loves to dig my rotties don't dig
during classes he was bored quickly if we weren't do something he didn't like to do the rotties were just layed back and enjoyed being in class
very protective of my house anybody that walks by the house he will bark at them the rotties they wait and see before they react if my gsd hears any sound he outside to see what the noise is

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM

One of the things (of the many) that I appreciate about my rottweiler is that he is quiet. While only one of my three children remain at home, I also work and go to school so quiet is sometimes very important to me. If Stark barks at something - I know that I need to get up and investigate it.

A client of mine owns a German Shepherd and, while I am only at their house for a few minutes at a time, that dog has NEVER shut up while I am there. Twice a day, 5 days a week that dog is barking like a maniac when I pull up the drive and still at it when I pull out of the drive.

I have talked to several people who own German Shepherds and, while they all might not bark as much as my clients, they are definitely more vocal.

Just something to consider.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 AM

My dad has two german shepherds, and I have to say they are both amazing dogs! His male is enrolled in a small schutzund club and does wonderful. He is very goofy and friendly, and I swear once someone is welcome in the house, Ruger never forgets their face, and hes always happy to see his family (my brother, myself, his wife and baby and our grandpa can all come and go as we please without anyone having to be there to greet us). His female is very fear reactive. She loves my brother and I, but any other new comer and she has to be crated.
As has been mentioned by others, they bark constantly! Happy, angry, confused, excited, a leaf blowing across the backyard, a lizard on the wall, my dads shepherds are constantly barking!
I have visited my step sisters house two times, and her rottweiler males are very friendly as well, but they are so quiet. They ask for attention by putting their head on your knee, not by barking. When the older one is unsure of a situation, he sits and cocks his head to the side trying to figure it out. They are great with other people, but a bit more reserved.
My girl is not a purebred rottweiler, but she is quieter than my dads shepherds. She is a lot calmer and seems to grasp new ideas quicker. She also listens better than his female shepherd. She does not test me nearly as much as the shepherds do my father (but I think this is more relevant of her character than of the breed in general).
Either way, both breeds are working dogs and require a lot of time, patience, training and commitment. I think both breeds are outstanding with the proper care and handling! Depending on your dogs temperament, you could get a barky rottweiler or a quiet shepherd, just remember thateach dug has it's own unique personality and may not fit the breed standard or peoples ideas exactly right.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM

I've owned and loved both breeds. Either breed is intellegent and learns quickly with good techniques in training. If you become a good trainer, your dog will do well. Set them up for succcess and find good positive rewards oriented classes. Yes, pleural. Exercise needs are the same.

Research the breeds then research the breeders. There are stickeys to help you in choosing the right breeder. Or, you could look into rescue. Currently, I have two wonderful, reputable breeder girls. I also have one wonderful rescue! What it takes is common sense and committment. Your dog deserves that from you whether GSD or Rottweiller or... any other.

Temperament and personality? Well, I'll say they each have their own personality. They are individuals. A well bred well temperamented dog will be true to it's breed standard. Both breeds are self assured and confident. They are alert, intuitive, and bidable. Both are divoted, loving, and sensitive pets, who will return ten fold what you put into them.

Differences? Well, perhaps the GSD's were a bit more regimented overall. Perimiters were patrolled in military precision. The wait and see Rottie's do the same job but don't seem as driven to patrol. They are both alert and competant. Either will make a worthy companion and member of the family. And they each "need" to be living with their families. Neither does well tied up outside.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Funny, i found myself recently wondering if i should get a shepard for my next dog. I haven't had once since i was a kid really. Although i have worked with many. I found the shepard to be an excellent dog as stated earlier with the proper postive training. then my Gabe came up to me; well I decided that after several yrs with this breed, each time learning more( the knowledge is never ending). Each Rottweiler i have invested my energy and time in, seems to be better and better. And it becomes easier and easier. I can't say enough of how perfect Gabriel is for me as he grows, now 16 months. I think the most important question when aquiring mans best friend is truely looking at the breed standards, researching this, and then deciding whether the breed you would "like" to have, is truely the breed that is right for you. There is a big difference. I believe the Rottweiler is truely a "Breed of its own" different to others only due to the fact of BSL that occurs in different areas. Therfore when getting this powerful breed not only do we have to consider the training and time investment and whether we can accomodate this, we also have to think about the reaponsibilities we need to meet in regards to this BSL. The insurance needs, licencing needs, etc. I notice that you seem to be located in Western Mass. You will be needing insurance to licence this breed. There is only 1 place who will do this, most insurance companies will not cover the liability. i do not recommend this breed for the Novice dog owner. Even the Westminster show states this upon discription. Although we all did have to start as a novice right? For me, this breed is the best. Not because of the BSL, or the size. I absolutley LOVE the character and the challenges they present b 4 me. They way they think and act, especially with two. So if you have the time, and the cash( I highly recommend training)and you promise to do your research not just on the breeders, but on the breed, I say go for it. It will be an emotional investment that will enlighten your life!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM

i've owned both... the rotts would be the more laid back of the two... much quieter... my GSD's both squeaked... the rotts would grumble from time to time but nowhere near as much uneccesary noise as a GSD... and if the rotts barked, it was worth checking out... the GSD's would make noise for the fun of it... >_<

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Hmmmm maybe Hans is weird, because he almost never barks. Only does if a stranger comes around, or sometimes if Morgen & Gesta are barking. I've only had him here a short time, but know he is very smart. I was walking him a few days ago when he zoned in on a stray dog that was nearby. When I say zoned, I mean nothing else was going to get his attention. He wanted to drag me & my regular methods were not working. I had to give him an extreme correction, never had to get to this point with a Rottie. (this was a safety issue at this point.). That has not been necessary again, smart dog. But he's not at all afraid of me.

At this point, it seems to me that his thought processes are simpler or more direct than a Rottie, hard to explain. Rotties have a complicated personality, that's why I love them so much.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Forgot to mention, Hans is a young male GSD I got when he was to be euthanized. Almost sure he's pure GSD.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Novice Member

I try to share base from my personal opinion even I'm a big fans of rottie but I like both of them.

Rottie generally base on people opinion is a cruel and scary dog not like GSD most of the people still remember rin tin tin.

But as for me those opinion are wrong since I meet lots of very balance temprament rotweiller and many of vicious GSD because lack of training from the owner.

I agree with most of the senior said try to check the gen pool from the parent of the puppy's first before you adopt the new puppy. I suggest better get your dog from a very reputable breeder or from safe dog pound rather than bought it from a puppy mill.

For me the big diff is the grooming since GSD has a longer fur rather than a Rottweiler plus you have to pay extra attention to their hind legs are special. Just make sure your environment will gave the best condition to one of them.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Novice Member

I agree with what several previous posters have said re GSDs being extremely vocal. Our girl Shadow (recently had to be put down at age 12) squeaked constantly and also barked at anything and everything (and sometimes nothing at all). Both rotties we have had have been much quieter.

Another consideration for myself is the amount of hair our GSD used to shed. It was ridiculous, had to vacuum almost every day to keep up with it.

I love the rottie personality, how he thinks he's a big lap dog and will just climb up onto me and plonk his whole weight down, completely relaxed. My GSD was a lot more highly strung and would never relax completely, always just slightly on alert, ready to jump up when she heard the tiniest sound.