Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Question What shampoo?

I am looking for a good shampoo for my two Rotties. When Hazard was alive I used Mr Crystals Orange Peel Oil shampoo and I loved it! Of course now it is no longer sold. I admit I had forgotten about doggie smell in the years of having an apbt, then a Boston. Those two were mostly shedless and stinkless. However Raji certainly does. When he goes out it eminates from him for a good 20 minutes after he comes back in. When we pet/cuddle him we smell doggie as well. Prada still has that baby smell to her but I only see it getting worse soon. I am not ocd or anything but I do like a clean home. I also dont want to use something too harsh on him as to dry out his coat or anything. As much time as he spends in the salt water I am as concerned with moisturizing as de-stinking...well almost.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Re: What shampoo?

Bah! This should be under grooming I suppose. Sorry folks.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM

I use an oatmeal shampoo that I got from Walmart, Sergeant's fur so fresh with oatmeal, milk and honey which makes her smell wonderful and is gentle, but then again I don't have a show-prospect so I don't know if you should be using something else. I think it costs around $4 bucks. If this wasn't doing the job for me I'd certainly be willing to pay more but it does the trick for my girl.

I use it every few weeks when she starts to get that 'doggie smell'. For days after her bath her coat is soooooooo soft, and she shines like she's been glossed. I like a clean house, too, I don't particularly enjoy doggie smell, you aren't alone in that!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Man, I've used "Black Pearl" shampoo on ALL of my dogs. It keeps their coats beautiful and soft for a long time in between dog baths. Doesn't cost anymore than $4-$5 I found it online, and I BELIEVE I can post a link to the product??? JUST TO SHOW what the product looks like, so you'll recognize it. Amazon.com: 8 in 1 Perfect Coat Black Pearl Shampoo and Conditioner for Dogs: Pet Supplies

I purchased it by the case from Omaha Vaccine.... but I love this shampoo... Your mileage may vary....

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Raji is just a pet. We will do obedience but due to his damaged Flexor tendon I have serious doubts his movement will ever be up to par. I am not too worried about giving a few things a try on him. He is wavy anyway. For the cost of the Oatmeal and Black Pearl I can give both of those a run. Thank you.
Prada is just coming out of her fluffy puppy look now. I am totally freaked out about messing up what nature gave her. She is a beautiful baby. I will try and pick peoples brains that show regularly for her grooming needs. I am very confident in my ability to raise a sound dog but a pretty one, well that still feels so out of my league. lol

Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM

I don't like to bathe the dogs too often, only when they really need it. However, I don't like the doggy smell either so in between baths I use Pet Head deodorizing spray for dogs. It really takes care of the odor, it's not just a cover up.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

I use Top Performance, TROPICAL CRUNCH, concentrate. A gallon lasts forever as you must dilute it a bit first. I use thick, dog or human bath wipes in between. The wipes are great for muddy feet and underbellies!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM

I use Oatmeal Shampoos Doesn't matter to me the brand since I haven't had a issue with any of the ones i tried. There coats look nice and they smell good, My Boy doesn't ever really have a odor but My female doesn't stink at times.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Miss Raven, our local COstco has that on sale right now. I was just looking at it. The Bed Head shampoos really gunked up my hair so I was afraid to try it out. lol. Maybe I will give it a run. I do use regular baby wipes on them, esp feet.
I have looked at several of those Top performance ones. They smell soooooo good!!
Thank you everyone!