Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Valued Member

Smile Why a Rottweiler?

Certain threads have me wondering why people choose the rottweiler as the breed of dog they want in their homes.

1.) Curious to know how each of you chose this breed. Everyone was new to working with the breed at one point in their lives. Why a rottweiler? What pulled you in?

2.)What experiences with your very first rottweiler, as a novice owner, stick out in your mind?

3.)Did you ever question your decision to own a rottweiler once your pup was in your home?

4.) Is there any thing you would like to say to people who are looking for a rottweiler puppy?

I will start off: I knew that I wanted another dog when my chow died, just not sure which breed. I was researching in-depth and leaning towards a GSD because of my childhood memories of my grandfather (a police officer) and his K9. I was so impressed with the training and really wanted to give a working dog an honest shot and I would have been content with a rescue or mix breed.

J said, "If we are getting another dog, it has to be a rottweiler." This is funny to me because he has always been fairly afraid of dogs (with the exception of our chows). So I researched; read numerous books and began talking with people who owned rottweilers. I met a few friendly rottweilers... and a couple not so friendly "rock-welders". (yes, their owner really called them rock welders)

I was intrigued... but it was J's insistence that our new dog be a rottweiler or no dog, that swayed me. I looked into several breeders and gasped when I saw the prices. The most I had ever paid for a dog was 800.00 and I thought that was slightly insane. So, I conceived an evil plan. I told J that I would agree to the rottweiler, but I wanted a working line that was show quality (meaning the dollar amount went way up) I honestly thought he would balk at the price and let me look at another breed. Of course he thought I would back out because of the money as well... so we played a ridiculous game of financial chicken and ended up with Niko.

In hindsight, this is probably one of the worst reasons on the planet to get a rottweiler. I would NEVER recommend anyone get a dog because they are too stubborn to back out.

2 and 3.) I could write an entire book about experiences that stick out as a novice owner; but I will narrow it down to a few.

Niko seemed to be possessed as a puppy! I swear that I wanted to take him back on more than one occasion. I was ready to admit that I was in over my head. The only reasons I still have this wonderful dog in my life is because I refused to be a quitter and I found RDN and read and read and read (often while being shredded by my puppy.)

There are times even now, that I feel like I am still in over my head. Niko is a smart driven dog. He will try his best to get away with something. Ease up on what you expect of him and all previous training flies out the window. I am not allowed to let down my guard with him when out in public. He may follow commands sharply one moment, and be ready to dismantle a dump truck rolling by the next. I can easily see that our training sessions will probably last a lifetime.

4.) Besides the obvious of researching the breeder, making sure you have the time to commit to training, and the funds to pay for classes and medical issues that crop up...

Listen to the advice of the breeder as to the perfect puppy for your family. I DO NOT RECOMMEND A STRONG WORKING LINE TO A NOVICE! (unless you have a mentor at arms reach)

Yes, I am surviving my bad decisions and am very happy that I made them. Niko and I have a bond like no other.... But we have butted heads on numerous occasions. It took multiple trainers to help me get a handle on my crazy pup.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now? Yes... But if you would have asked me six-nine months ago I may have said no.

Anyone else???

Niko ~ aka the Neeks Meister 07/10/2009
Simone ~ aka Princess Monie 11/20/2010
Chance ~ aka Widget 12/21/2013
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1026256 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Valued Member

Re: Why a Rottweiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoJ View Post
Certain threads have me wondering why people choose the rottweiler as the breed of dog they want in their homes.

1.) Curious to know how each of you chose this breed. Everyone was new to working with the breed at one point in their lives. Why a rottweiler? What pulled you in?
I rescued an adult male as a stray off a very busy city street...he was a DOG to me, in danger of being run over on this street....his breed/size was really secondary, but I will admit that having lived with large working breeds all my life - there was no hesitation when I realized he was a black & tan ...and I think we were 'goners' for the breed inside of 24 hours after his arrival....

Quote:
2.)What experiences with your very first rottweiler, as a novice owner, stick out in your mind?
My experiences as a novice to the breed were rescue related - I was SHOCKED to learn, very quickly, how hesitant local shelters and rescues were, to even consider helping this breed....

Quote:
3.)Did you ever question your decision to own a rottweiler once your pup was in your home?
NO.....and I sort of feel like a jillion have passed through our house as a result of our first

Quote:
4.) Is there any thing you would like to say to people who are looking for a rottweiler puppy?
DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE bringing a pup home....and that includes both the breeder you select....AND your own home dynamics!! HAVE A TRAINER lined up and ready to go, so you and your pup (or adult) don't miss any valuable time in class, once your new dog is home!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Valued Member

I was always scared to death of Rottweilers growing up. When I was married to my children's Dad he wanted to get one. At that time he was a full time Police Officer and in the Army Reserves and went away 2 weeks a year. I panicked as I knew for sure I wouldn't be left alone with the dog.

After we divorced, I happened to meet one and watched how it reacted with his owner and saw the love and bond between them like I never saw with any other animal. I then began researching the breed and meeting more Rotties with the same wonderful temperament as the 1st one I came in contact with. After 2 years of reading and meeting many I knew this was the breed for me.

A Breeder in a town close to me was selling her female as she said she was too small by the standards to be bred. I knew nothing about BYB's or COE breeders back then. I met Molly and she was the sweetest girl ever. My Mom who was also petrified of the Breed, immediately fell in love with her and was proud to show her to everyone.

When I got Molly in 1992, she changed the opinion of everyone in my entire family who all viewed this breed as child killers. I spent a lot of time training her and she was always willing to please. Upon getting Molly, I knew this was a breed I could never be without.

This definitely isn't a breed for anyone but if you're willing to put all the love, effort and training into your dog, they will return to you more than you could ever imagine. Rottweilers surely do leave paw prints on your heart.

Dog ownership is like a rainbow. Puppies are the joy at one end. Old dogs are the treasure at the other.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Valued Member

My mom was involved in breeding and showing Poms when I was young and I went with her to all of the shows. I was much more interested in "real" dogs - big, powerful, more challenging so I spent my time watching them. I can't tell you the why or what pulled me in, but I can tell you I have been in love with the breed since I was 12.

My first girl was a rescue from the base shelter in Kaiserslautern, Germany. She came to us housebroken and with house manners so the experiences that stick out most in my mind have more to do with traveling overseas.

3.)Did you ever question your decision to own a rottweiler once your pup was in your home? NO. Never. Sure, some days are challenging but then, some days are challenging with my children or my husband - I haven't gotten rid of them, either!

4.) Is there any thing you would like to say to people who are looking for a rottweiler puppy? Do your homework. Find an ETHICAL breeder and listen to what they have to say. Don't assume that the hard work is done once you find your breeder and bring your puppy home. Remember - how your puppy turns out depends entirely on YOU.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Valued Member

Ok, I'll play

Quote:
Growing up the area I lived in Rottweilers had a bad, bad reputation. They were owned by the lowest of the low and to be honest, I never met a friendly Rottweiler in the first few years of my life (this was during their popular times in the 90s). Then, I went to a dog show with my Poppy (grandfather) and in an x-pen with a bunch of West Highland White Terriers was this big, mean, vicious male Rottweiler laying on his back with that big Rottie grin as the terriers jumped all over him and chewed him all up. This got me talking to the handler who sat there for probably an hour with a 13 year old kid explaining what Rottweilers were bred for, what their temperament should be, how wonderful they are. Her passion for the breed was evident and it stuck in my mind.

When I finally got out of University I was determined I was getting myself a dog, and was weighing several breeds. The main two I was looking at were Rottweilers and Vizlas. I met the vizlas and quickly realized they were not the breed for me, way too wired and high-strung. Then I met with a Rottweiler breeder, and met a two year old Justice for the first time. Though he was an ill-mannered two year old, the kindness and maturity of the breed, as well as the desire to be with people stuck out to me. I went through the breeder's interview and Justice became mine .

Now if you ask me why I want a Rottweiler it is the maturity, loyalty, goofiness, intellect of the breed that has me wanting more. I love my bulldogs to death, but there is something very different between my relationship with Justice and that with the bulldogs.

Quote:
Justice taught me quickly (and sometimes the hard way) that privileges for a young Rottweiler need to be earned, not given. He also taught me that no matter what I did I was not going to wear him out physically, so I better work that brain of his.

I also learned that trying to force him to do something was never as effective as teaching him to do it .

Quote:
Justice was two when I got him, and I definitely did have those moments. Particularly after he was attacked by another dog and started exhibiting aggressive behaviour on-leash. I questioned whether I was really the right fit for a male Rottweiler. I also, at first, worried too much about what other people thought and sometimes wondered if it would have been easier to just get a Lab so I wasn't constantly defending my dog. Then I realized, I find Labs really irritating .

Quote:
Never, ever, forget the importance of classes and training. These dogs are constantly learning and making sure those boundaries still apply. This is not a one or two session of classes breed. For them truly to be happy they need to work their brains for their life. Training does not end with a Puppy K (even though your puppy will likely be the star of the class).
'Maverick' OAC NJC TN-N PCD RA CRNMCL CRNT CGN TT HIC
CH 'Tali' AGNS AGNJS NAC NJC TN-N CGN HIC

Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

1.)Why a rottweiler? What pulled you in?
A Rottie wasn't my first choice. I had recently moved from a very suburban area to a more rural home. 5 acres in the woods. I was alone most of the time with my elderly parents and a little Lowchen. I was looking for a larger protective dog. I was thinking a GSD but wasn't sure because of their health issues. My fiance surprised me with a Rottie puppy for Christmas. He said if we were getting a big dog it would be a Rottie. It was love at first sight. Maia was the cutest bundle of fur.

Quote:
I have had dogs almost my whole life so I wasn't a dog novice. Big dogs was another thing. I didn't realize their strength or how smart Rotties are. Maia escaped many times in those first months. We reinforced the fence 4 different times until we were finally able to contain her. And oh my was she smart. I had quite a time trying to keep ahead of her.

Quote:
Never. Maia was a challenge but she was also the sweetest, smartest, most loving, girl. She had pancreatitis from an early age and her vet said she could do anything with her without Maia taking offense. She showed us what a great breed Rotties are.

Quote:
If you have never had a dog before think twice about this breed. These guys are wonderful but they need a strong leader and some one who has the time and energy to spend training and working with them (for years!).

Maia changed our lives forever and I can't picture my home without at least one Rottie in residence.

Last edited by roscoe; 10-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Let's see, I think what pulled me in was I thought they were beutiful dogs, large, nice markings, well muscled. I prefer larger fit dogs, and rotts fit that bill. My first experience with rotts was a doberman rott cross my mom bought for my dad one year when I was a older teen. When I moved out to my own house my father offered to give me the dog and I told him hell ya! I loved that dog and he fit in well with my two young sons. I was soo impressed by the dog patience with my two little ones, not all jumpy and overreactive like with some dogs. My boys could litterally climb all over him if I allowed it , he would'nt react, If my boys annoyed him too much, he simply stood up and went into another spot in the house. I guess it was the wait and see attitude that I really liked. With my first full rott now, I suppose there were times when I questioned whether I was in over my head with a new pup. But I kept telling myself, I'll have that dog that I want eventually if I just keep working at it, and that you get back what you put in. That pup is now just over 2 y.o. and is finally settling into the form of a nice family dog. I have a few goals with him that we havent attained yet , but that is still a work in progress. As far as advice to potential owner, research ,research, and then research some more.Talk to breeders and other owners, know what dog with strong working lines is like to live with, know what your goals for your future dog are before you bring them into your home.Be honest with yourself about your own abilities with owning such a dog.With that said, I would'nt hesitate to bring another male rott home again. :)

Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM

being completely honest with my answers here... some may not like them but so be it...

cant say i really chose the breed... i had been training a GSD for protection work, she was the first dog i'd done anything like that with... looking back now i would not have worked her... she was fairly thick-nerved but fear agressive and unpredictable... the decoy i had been training with told me about a "real dog", a big rotty boy who i could "really work" who needed a home... so i contacted the dog's owner and went to meet them... muttley wanted to kill me and just about gave me a concussion... another fear agression case, had been beaten by the neighbours as a puppy... but again, hindsight is always 20/20...

despite poor Hudson being a lunatic i could see the love and affection he had for his owner, and the guy did nothing but rave about how good he was when out walking with their young daughter in the pram... so i could see the good side to him and decided to give him a chance...

it took a long time but we formed a bond that i've never managed to repeat with any of my other working dogs... and his way of dealing with everything (other than people, sadly) was with much tolerance and gentle guidance, especially with the GSD bitch... i thought damn, if this dog had been given a good start in life instead of copping the crap end of the stick he could have been something spectacular... :(

when it did shine through, that wonderful stable temperment.... would tolerate sooo much and when he did decide he'd had enough, he'd have his say, but never ever took it too far with another animal... people were a different story though :(

and i'll never forget some of the random explosive outbursts that caught me off guard in the first few months... thank fsck for sturdy muzzles is all i can say :(

yes, but never due to breed... his size had me worried from time to time (sh!t, if it came down to it, could i really hold onto this dog?)... and i often wished that he wasnt such a cranky bastard.... but i knew enough by then that i didnt put his flaws down to his breed...

this is NOT a breed for novice owners... or people who cant devote a LOT of time to training, or want an "outside dog" that's not allowed to live with its people... and no, without proper training, your dog most likely WONT protect you........

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM

Why a rottie? I had just moved to a very isolated farm in a strange foreign country and hubby had to return to England 6 months and wanted me to have a big dog. I did some research and bought my 1st rottie pup. He was amazing, he was my 24hr companion and friend, for the 1st 6 months of his life and he loved me a much as I loved him.

Experiences as a novice owner.... all good, but I was determined to bring him up properly. We had a bit of a problem when Les returned, until then he had me to himself... but we worked on it and they grew to respect and care for each other.

Did I ever question my decision? On rare occasions, but not seriously, in fact I decided that this was my breed (up until then I had Great Danes).

Advice for new/potential owners? Your rottie is going to take up a lot of time. It will be worth it but if you dont think you have the time and patience, simply dont do it. Nobody wants a dog that isnt a GOOD dog, and this breed takes more commitment than most.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM

I didn't exactly choose the breed, more that my little girl chose me. She ran in front of my car when I had my other two dogs with me, and I slammed on my breaks. Thank God she wasn't hurt, so I took her home, found her old owners didn't want her because she didn't play with their kids (I think she probably puppy nipped them and they let her go).
I will admit, I was terrified of rottweilers when I first got her. I had only ever met two in my life, and they pretty much traumatized me (followed me around growling and snarling, snapped at me, made me hide in a bathroom when I was seven). But as soon as I saw her, I knew she was mine. I'm happy to say she has given me new faith in the breed.

ALOT! The first time I made a weird noise and she cocked her head to the side. How when my nephew was on "tummy time" for the first time around her, she sat down right next to me and whined when he cried and licked him. Every time my nephew is on tummy time, she "guards" him, lays right next to me on the floor with him and watches the other dogs making sure they don't come in too close, and licks him when he starts crying. It's adoreable! (Just to add, either myself or my brother or sister in law is always on the floor right next to her. Even though she is great with him, we never even go an inch away with the baby and her in the same room. Dogs are still dogs and should not be left alone with kids EVER )

One time and one time only. As I said before, I was terrified of the breed. I went to pick up her food bowl after it was empty but she was still next to it and she growled at me. This was about a month after I had her, and I was still getting to know her. But we worked through it, and I have never thought twice about it since.

Make sure you have the time for a new puppy. They need a lot of socialization, training, and interaction, and you need to make time for doing it all. They can be quite stubborn, so make sure you have a solid training foundation to rely on. And don't get too frustrated, try to remember that all of the difficulities you may face during puppy hood will be well worth it in the end

Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Answer: I always owned Black Labs , I wanted a more serious dog with similar qualities. The size and overall personality of the Rottie matched my requirements.

Answer: I was surprised at how affectionate the puppy was and still is and how she fit right in with our family and other pets and how quickly she learned so much.

Answer: Yes , I was surprised at how they like to chew on and eat everything..

Despite the bad press they get...
They are very very affectionate and extremely intelligent and friendly dogs.
They are easy to train in some aspects....Those being the fun things like fetch and gimmie paw etc etc.
However..
They are destructive as pups..more so than other dogs ive owned..perhaps its because they have the big jaws .
and House breaking aint easy.
Mine is 7 months old now and shes probably the most fun and interactive dog Ive ever had..wouldnt trade her for the world.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxweiler View Post

Despite the bad press they get...
They are very very affectionate and extremely intelligent and friendly dogs.
They are easy to train in some aspects....Those being the fun things like fetch and gimmie paw etc etc.
However..
They are destructive as pups..more so than other dogs ive owned..perhaps its because they have the big jaws .
and House breaking aint easy.
Mine is 7 months old now and shes probably the most fun and interactive dog Ive ever had..wouldnt trade her for the world.
I thought this part was interesting. Other then a box of kleenex and taking all of the stuffing out of his toys, my boy wasn't/isn't destructive. I knew a woman with a yellow lab once - her dog literally climbed the walls to pull things down to chew on!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
I thought this part was interesting. Other then a box of kleenex and taking all of the stuffing out of his toys, my boy wasn't/isn't destructive. I knew a woman with a yellow lab once - her dog literally climbed the walls to pull things down to chew on!
Well maybe thats because you keep your Rottie in a crate like a Canary...
Im just kidding...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxweiler View Post
Well maybe thats because you keep your Rottie in a crate like a Canary...
Im just kidding...
Actually, when he was a pup he spent 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon in a crate. He spent every other minute of the day with me. Now his crate is broken down and put away in the garage.

My point was - every dog is different. It isn't a breed thing, it is a personality thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Actually, when he was a pup he spent 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon in a crate. He spent every other minute of the day with me. Now his crate is broken down and put away in the garage.

My point was - every dog is different. It isn't a breed thing, it is a personality thing.
I respectfully disagree..Potential Rottie owners should be aware of the tendency of the destructive behavior that some....most .. rottie pups posess.

Its a breed thing , they have jaws and they like to use them.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.