Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Re: Dog sleeping outside

Rotties like most domesticated dogs need to be with their people period. The best thing in this world to them is to be with their family, nothing else in this world beats being with their family. If that is not something you can provide then do not own a dog.

Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1025795 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 AM

When i was growing up we had a rottie and a german shepherd. They both slept outside every night and the rottie did not have a problem with this. We used to let both dogs inside in the morning and they would spend part of there day inside and the rest outside.
Yes you can have a well adjusted, happy and very content rottie that sleeps outside!!! My family had one..
I agree with people that say you should let them sleep inside (as i let both my rotties sleep inside every night and wouldnt change that), but you can let you rottie sleep outside and they can be happy.
Personal choice i guess.
Although i think putting a 6 month old puppy outside if a bit harsh. Maybe wait a few more months, then try putting your pup outside??

Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 AM

Additionally, you have not one, but TWO 6-month-old PUPPIES... from the sounds of it, they're BOTH living their lives in the back yard. If you had a 5-year old child who liked eating ice cream and drinking sodas, would you give them all they wanted, or would you try teaching them something before they entered public and begin attending school with other children? Maybe even teach them how to use a toilet? Or maybe how to say "hello" instead of tackling? Or maybe how to sit down and eat their lunch instead of stealing someone elses? You have 2 puppies (both large breeds) and I'm willing to bet neither of them is getting the training they need. Instead, you're leaving them outside to figure the world out on their own. How long until they decide that 9 year old girls are going to be easier to tackle and eat than 10 year old boys, because they're slower? Perhaps you should bring those dogs inside and start teaching them how to behave. It's a LOT cheaper than lawyer fees.

Attitude? No, I don't have an "attitude." It's called a "Rottweiler."

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 PM

I have enjoyed reading all the responses to this question and something that should be noted is that yes a decade or so ago most people did have their dogs outside and paid little if any attention to them. Things have changed - we now know the health reasons behind outside life for a dog. And if one thinks back it will be noted that dogs have a life span much shorter than today's dog - due to better care. Some dogs prefer to be outside - I had one, you couldn't force that dog inside but at the age of 14 he started sleeping in the house then he got to where he didn't want to outside and that was fine. But a puppy that is scratching and clawing at the door is telling you they do not want to live outside, this is not the same as having a dog that WANTS to be outside this puppy does not - he wants to be inside with you. Rotties want to do things with their people, they are smart and they will find ways to entertain themselves - without proper training this can be asking for trouble. There should be no reason that the dog can't be inside with you.
You have not responded yet to all the questions of "why" the dog needs to be outside and why he can't be inside.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Let me clear some things up guys sorry for not mentioning earlier. I have a husky /shepherd mix dats 6 years old dat sleeps outside. U guys make it seem as if i put my dogs outside and ignore dem. The dogs get attention from 7 in morning till 11 at night and they always are being played with and etc. Only time they dont see us is at night. I understand most of u luv keeping ur dogs inside and for me i dont cuz as a kid my fam kept dogs outside. U guys also make it seem as if i keep em chained and no. Food or water. They have a nice big back house to go for shelter n all the water in the world. I just wanted advoce on how to make the transition easier for my rott.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM

One thing that might help you get better responses from the members of this forum is using proper English. "Dat, dem, cuz, em, n" is not English. Most of the members on this forum are professionals of some sort, and using complete sentences and grammar would be appreciated by most if not all of us.

That being said, I have a five month old Rottweiler, and couldn't imagine leaving him outside over night. As a matter of fact, I don't even let him outside if I'm not there with him. A puppy that young will develop terrible behaviors (much like the scratching you are describing) if he is not taught propers manors. I may not be a Rottweiler expert like many of the members on this forum, but I know enough that I would never force my puppy to be outside all night.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cccp818 View Post
lately he's been crying and scratching doors nonstop.
Quote:
I want to keep mine outside because he loves outside
Which one of your statements are true?

I'm going to give you just a bit more leay way to explaine yourself, make it count please.

Lord, give me patience....because if you give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
Which one of your statements are true?

I'm going to give you just a bit more leay way to explaine yourself, make it count please.
At nights he was scratching but i meant he loves to be outside during most of the day. And sorry if my grammar is not proper did not know this was english 101 rottweiler forum. I found this site and it seemed a lot of people are helpful and not bashing my grammar.

Update as of today my rott luvs it outside he sleeps next to my husky/shepherd mix and no scratching or anything. I think some people think i tossed him outside and thats it. Its opposite he has constant attention from morning till night. And he;s happy as ever. So thanks for those who did help and for those just thinking im a torturer please take all facts into consideration instead of thinking your way is the right way.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM

You wanna keep your Rottie outside 24/7 ..like livestock
and
Others wanna keep theirs in Crates ..like a canary..

Do whatever you want...I really dont care.
My Rottie is being treated like a member of the family..
So Im kinda dillusional myself..treating dogs like they are human.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Crate training is NOT like keeping a caged bird. Broaden your mind, you'll like it.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 PM

I spend plenty of time with my 6 month old and she is doing great living outside. I got out with her in the yard quite a bit and also have my entertainment room in the garage where hang out at times. I really don't know why we don't and have never had a dog indoors. I take very good care of mine and she has been great so far since she's lived here. My old GSD at my parents house has also been an outside dog for 11 years now.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 PM

My dog isn't a human, but he is a member of my family. A puppy is just that....a puppy! Puppies, like human babies need to be taught what is proper and what is not. They aren't born knowing how to behave. It's up to you to teach them properly. By crate training your puppy, you keep the pup safe and protect your belongings. How many beds will she chew until you decide she's too expensive to keep? The pup is not in the crate 24/7, only when you cannot keep your eyes on her.
As far as keeping a pup outside.....You're right, that doesn't mean you are neglecting the dog. But, as you can see from the other posters, we don't agree with a rottweiler being an outside dog. Our dogs need to be with their owners, they are working dogs. You've been asked several times why the dog can't be inside at night. You have yet to answer it. As someone else said, there are other breeds that do well as outside dogs, our dogs are not one of them. With all the experience that others here have regarding rottweilers, I would think that they know what they're talking about.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Not wanting to start trouble here people. But do most of u realize that rotts have lived outside for years. But what ur saying now is dat its cruel basically. If u want a dog to sleep on ur bed and snuggle with get a toy dog. So huskys dat live in outdoors in alaska is cruel? I asked for advice not opinion. I appreciate those that tried to help.

Another update.... My rott luvs being outside recently it rained and he seems to enjoy running around getting wet. But let me guess thats cruelty to animals and i should have him taken away lol. Like i said my dog has all the shelter and warmth outside. Read up on rotts and learn before u speak.

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Not wanting to start trouble here people.
Of course you are wanting to start trouble - you already know the thoughts of a bunch of people who have a collective knowledge of the breed that no doubt exceeds yours by a couple laps around the earth...yet you come back to beleaguer the point. Who do you think you're kidding?
Quote:
But do most of u realize that rotts have lived outside for years. But what ur saying now is dat its cruel basically.
It's at best neglectful.
Quote:
If u want a dog to sleep on ur bed and snuggle with get a toy dog.
If you want a working dog that has been bred to accompany and work beside man to sleep outside, then either sleep outside with the dog or get a garden gnome instead.
Quote:
So huskys dat live in outdoors in alaska is cruel?
Refer back to my reply above...different breeds have been developed for different purposes/environments. A Husky is NOT a Rottweiler.
Quote:
Another update.... My rott luvs being outside recently it rained and he seems to enjoy running around getting wet. But let me guess thats cruelty to animals and i should have him taken away lol. Like i said my dog has all the shelter and warmth outside.
I live in LA - my dog loved getting wet at the obedience trial we went to during the rain.......she ALSO loved being toweled off and brought inside when we were done. It is NOT warm outside - it is COLD and DAMP.
Quote:
Read up on rotts and learn before u speak.
Now this is funny.............

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Not wanting to start trouble here people. But do most of u realize that rotts have lived outside for years. But what ur saying now is dat its cruel basically. If u want a dog to sleep on ur bed and snuggle with get a toy dog. So huskys dat live in outdoors in alaska is cruel? I asked for advice not opinion. I appreciate those that tried to help.

Another update.... My rott luvs being outside recently it rained and he seems to enjoy running around getting wet. But let me guess thats cruelty to animals and i should have him taken away lol. Like i said my dog has all the shelter and warmth outside. Read up on rotts and learn before u speak.
If you want your Rottweiler to be a Junkyard Dog and drink antifreeze out of a hubcap.....
I honestly dont give a crap..

Right now..Me and Roxie are sitting by the fireplace eating cheese..and listening to classical music..she really likes chamber music..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Closed Thread