Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Conformation Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Conformation Rottweilers Let's use this forum for the discussion of all issues related to conformation! Show brags will be posted in the appropriate forum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Re: Showing a Tailed Rottweiler???

I have a tailed girl. Love her to death. Will be putting her in the AKC ring sometime, but for now, I am waiting. I have spoken to several people on this issue and gotten varied opinions.
Everyone who has seen my girl thinks she is beautiful, but many can not see beyond the tail. I have personally communicated with the woman who owned the first tailed Rottweiler champion. She encouraged me to do it, but she also warned me that a tailed Rott will face lots of bias. Also, she told me that a tailed dog must have lots and lots of obedience, its behavior in the ring has got to be superb compared to all the other Rotts in there. Another words, that dog must stack well, and stay stacked, not move. STAND/STAY is a MUST, not an option. The dog just has to outperform every other dog in that ring if the judge is going to give it a fair shot. I am only beginning to really work my girl for the AKC ring and she is 20 months old. I will try it a couple of times, when I think she is ready, but I plan on getting her BH on her, and going from there.
I love the tailed look. I am personally caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to a tail. I want to keep them on my puppies, but...I probably won't because of the way things are. If I do choose to do so, I will start training that pup from day one and not stop until it is perfectly behaved, until it nails the stand/stay, and does not move until told to.
Good luck with your pup, hopefully you can find something that works well for you. Don't be afraid to show it, but know that it will take much longer to finish it, unless you can find the right judges.

Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 950281 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vom Schattanberge View Post
I love the tailed look. I am personally caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to a tail. I want to keep them on my puppies, but...I probably won't because of the way things are.
This how I feel as well. Since I won't breed again for a few years, I plan on leaving the next litter with tails on. Two to three more years will make a big difference in the number of tailed rotties being shown.
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Is there a show coming up in Chicago in Aug or Sep?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM

I sent an email. I'll let you know the reply. They were supposed to have a show a couple of years ago, but didn't:(.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 AM

A sieger show is being planned for Chicago this year. No other details such as date, location, judge, etc. available yet.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 AM

I think there's a NIRK show in Wadsworth, IL coming up. Check nirk.org

Liz
Franny von Scosher CGC BH
Wingra "Duckie" vom Deutschen Erbe
Nikita von Scosher

Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 PM

saw a tailed dog yesterday at ft.myers dog show. akc show.
the judge went over the dog, ran it around the ring, and then i saw the judge looking over some papers, filling something out and then she either withheld the ribbon or excused dog.
judge was ms. jordan. show was ft.myers dog club. superintendent mb-f.
results can be seen at Home Page, InfoDog -? The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information? AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services saturday, 5/22/10
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 PM

The ribbon was withheld on Odzmanouk vom Drakkenfels, the tailed male in the 9-12 month dogs.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 PM

They do have that right. And, sadly, when we choose to own a tailed Rott, we take those chances. I will always love my tailed girl. But....for now, I only show my docked one.
Maybe things will change now that a big time handler Jane H (not sure if I am allowed to say her name or not) left tails on her pups, and is willing to show tailed dogs. One never knows. Until things do change, those of us who choose to show tailed dogs can be excused or have ribbons withheld. Just the way it is.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:49 PM

i have no issues with tails. i always say, may the best dog win. tail or not. to me, the standard is not 100 percent on the tail issue. everyone has their way to interpret it.
i prefer a docked tail...but a tail won't kill me.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 PM

I never seen a Tailed rottweiler in my area.

A friend of mine told me in the past that docking a Pit-bull's tail can throw off balance?

Is there any truth to this and any relations to a rottweiler

I have a beautiful docked rottweiler and can walk a tight rope better then I....lol

Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Posted for Dr. Denise Tomlinson- Owner of Odzmanouk vom Drakkenfels:

It has come to my attention that there are many people who own rottweilers with natural tails that are apprehensive about showing in the AKC ring. After receiving a call from a very sweet lady 5 states away asking advice on how to handle situations in the ring, I thought I would type up some advice for everyone who has that tailed dog and may want to show in AKC but is uncertain.

First of all, I must tell you, if you are looking for advice on handling, there are SEVERAL other people more qualified to help in that department. If you do not know of anyone in your area, please contact Kim Cardona, VomDrakkenfels - Home. She may know of someone in your area that can help.

Also understand that if you are looking for a professional handler to handle your dog, given the politics involved with this tailed rottweiler issue, many will not handle your dog because of it, regardless if they are personally supportive of natural tails. Respect that. Handlers rely on their client base and their rapport with judges for their living. We can all understand and appreciate why they may not want to jeopardize that.

These suggestions are my opinions, based on my experiences and philosophies. I do not propose to be an expert in showing a dog with a tail. Most of it is common sense and what works for me. Use this information as a base and as encouragement.

1. MAKE IT FUN
Your dog as well as yourself. Good advice whether your dog has a tail or not. If your dog has a great time, his happiness will show. Let’s face it. You and your tailed rottweiler will get looked at, stared at, gawked at and naturally curious people will come up to you. Be a good ambassador! If your dog is happy, this is the first impression people will have. I purposely give my dog is ball on a rope, which he lives for. Once he has this toy, he is so happy he prances. He thinks he is hot stuff and carries it all the way to our ring, showing the ball to admirers along the way. When people see him, they smile. Then I hear them turn to their friend and say, “Did you see that rottie with a tail?” Mission accomplished. People will remember the “rottie with a tail” in a positive way.

If you go to these events with just the expectation of having fun with your dog then you cannot be disappointed. If you go with the expectation of winning everything, then you will most likely be disappointed. Have the right attitude: optimistic but realistic. Know that we have an uphill battle in changing opinions. Reality is that not everyone will appreciate our tailed dog, including some judges. It is sometimes easy for people to pick on the odd man out, especially if you are cowering in the corner. Don’t! Smile; say hi to people, even if you do not know them. It is much harder for people to be rude to someone who is smiling and being nice. If you get rude comments, ignore them and move on. Don’t let ignorant or opinionated people ruin your day of fun with your dog. Do not try to argue with them because there are some people that we can never change their mind. It would only be lowering yourself to their pettiness anyway. I can say for the time that I have been showing my tailed dog, I have not had one person say anything negative to my face. Have they behind my back, most certainly. Do I care? No. For those that come up to you with questions about the tail, be gracious and answer them as best you can. Brush up on your breed’s history and the reason why the tails were docked in the first place.

2. HAVE MANNERS
Advice for both of you. Again, like it or not, all eyes will be watching you and your dog. Make sure your dog is ready for the ring. Make sure your dog is social. Yes, we all know that most of us that have tailed dogs probably plan on doing something in a working sport. There is no need to have a wild and crazy dog that goes after everything that moves to prove your point. And the AKC venue is not the place for it at all. Also make sure your dog allows someone to go over it VERY THOROUGHLY. I recently had a judge want to feel/see every tooth in my dog’s mouth. That is fine. Our standard states that any missing teeth is a disqualifying factor. I have no problem with that. However, she was not just being a really thorough judge, since I did not see her do this to all the other dogs. She was looking for any reason (teeth or temperament) to disqualify my dog so she would not have to make an award decision. Sometimes our dogs will be scrutinized at a higher degree than others. Make sure your dog is ready for the task. Make sure you are ready to accept it as well. Is it necessarily fair, no – but it is something we just have to deal with.

3. KNOW YOUR STANDARD
This should be a given, however, make sure you really know it, especially the description of the tail. Like I said, our dogs will sometimes be more scrutinized than others. Some judges will try to find any other reason to disqualify your dog or withhold an award.

4. KNOW YOUR JUDGES
When possible. If there are judges that have gone on record as opposed to natural tails, do not give them your support by entering. I have started to compile a list of “tail-friendly” (or at least tail-tolerant) judges and judges that are anti-tail under separate cover. If you are unsure about a judge’s position, you will never know until you try, right?

5. JOIN THE BREED CLUB
So many people complain about the world’s problems but have no suggestions on how to fix them. So many people complain about elected officials, yet are not even registered to vote. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Join the American Rottweiler Club and become a voice for tails. We can never have a chance for change standing in the sideline bitching about it. Be proactive. If they host an event including tails, like the Nationals this year, support it. If you cannot attend, donate trophy money or something else making sure they know the only reason you are supporting at that time is because they have opening that event to tailed dogs. How can we expect change if the majority of the membership of our own breed club wants to remain a docked breed.

IF THE JUDGE WITHHOLDS THEIR AWARD
BE COURTEOUS! It is written in the regulations governing dog shows that a judge may withhold an award to any dog if they wish. It is their right. If the judge does not give a reason you may ask (in a polite un-confrontational way): “May I ask why?” DO NOT ask “Is it because lack of merit?” Do not give them the easy route out. If the answer is due to lack of merit; politely ask them if they could elaborate. Thank them for their consideration and ring time. Always remember that people will be watching “the dog with a tail”. Arguing with the judge will get you nowhere. It is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Leaving the ring in a huff and/or throwing a temper-tantrum will not further the cause either. By entering an AKC event, we have agreed to a code of conduct and sportsmanship. Think of the whole experience as a paid training session. Evaluate the day by how well your dog performed, not by the ribbons you receive.

IF THE JUDGE EXCUSES YOU FROM THE RING
Is it fair: no. Should you confront or argue with the judge: no. The ring is NOT the place for it. Should your complaint go on record: Absolutely! But file a complaint to the right people, through the proper channels. As written above, be polite and courteous (even if you are seething) while in the ring. After you exit, you may go to the superintendent’s table and ask to speak to an AKC representative. Know that they will almost always support their judge. Write a letter to, at the very least, the President of the American Rottweiler Club, the AKC Judging Department and the club hosting the show expressing your dissatisfaction in the judge’s performance and interpretation of the breed standard. Make the letter professional. Do not make the letter a personal attack on the judge just because he/she excused you from the ring. They will just chalk it up to poor sportsmanship. Key points to include in your letter are the ambiguity in the standard as written leaving it open for interpretation. Quote the first and second sentence of the tail description, which are contradictory. Explain that there is a need for a standard revision. Point out that there are AKC Champions on record that have natural tails (at this time five (5) of them). We would just like the right to be judged, like any other rottweiler, without prejudice.

Most of all – DON”T GIVE UP! Continue to show your dog with a natural tail. Of course, It is also much easier if you have friends at the events to support you. I have a beautiful group of friends for support and I appreciate them with all my heart.

Again, most of this is common sense and I hope some of it is helpful. I am sure that there are many people who can add their wisdom to this topic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Additionally:
If you do get a judge that judges your dog without prejudice (i.e. places yor dog ahead of docked dogs) -
SEND THEM A THANK YOU FOR DOING SO!
Let the judge know that given the hot topic within our breed that you appreciate them for judging your dog without prejudice and that you will support their future judging assignments with entries. And then do so. Just as it is not easy for us to be the "odd man out: It is not easy for judges to go against the grain either.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Novice Member

Thumbs up Re: Showing a Tailed Rottweiler???

I showed in Orlando this past weekend. The same tailed boy that was placed in Ga, got excused 2 days in Orlando. He has been shown a total of 8 times now and those were the first two excusals for having a tail. I honestly cannot figure out why the docked people are so against having tails in the ring. Generally the tail people just want to show their dogs, we do not have an antil docking agenda. I own 3 Rotties--two are docked one is not. It is such an emotional issue that even trying to have constructive conversation is impossible. Everyone has a opinion, but no one seems to be able to clearly state what the objection to having both tailed and docked in the same ring is.
With so much bad publicity for our breed to begin with you would think it would occur to people that a divison in the ranks over something so silly is nuts. In the showring if my tailed Rottie managed to beat your docked one, then if mine was docked he would STILL have beaten him. I admit tails take some getting used to, I was just sure two years ago that I would NEVER OWN a tailed Rottie-they were so foreign to me. Then I started attending German style shows on a regular basis. It is amazing just how quickly the tail issue becomes non existant once you are used to seeing it.

For my part I will continue to show my tailed boy. He is very well bred and is a very correct example of a Rottweiler tail and all. I can only hope that people who want to show their tail dogs in the AKC venue will continue to do so. Follow the advise of the previous posters, and make sure if you are excused you do send a letter to the AKC. Your entry fee is paying for a service, if the judge excuses your dog before he examines it, you have not gotten the service you have paid for. Be sure to let the AKC know that you realize you have paid for a service they have not provided based on an ambiguous tail standard. If we stick together and keep showing our tailed dogs and writing the appropriate letters, it will eventually cause the situation to get handled and we can have the tailed and docked dogs all in the ring together without prejudice. HAPPY SHOWING TO ALL.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM

I saw your boy at Orlando and I thought it was ridicules to excuse him. These people that are so anti tail don't seem to understand the big picture, unless we really fight, BSL will keep us from even owning rottweilers in the next ten years regardless of whether they have tails or not!!!

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08