Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Conformation Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Conformation Rottweilers Let's use this forum for the discussion of all issues related to conformation! Show brags will be posted in the appropriate forum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 11:41 PM

whiskers

My male has these strange whiskers that seem to grow out from the base of his bottom lips. They are about an inch long and he has had them all his life. They don't actually grow from his chin but they make it look untidy, like he has a little beard. I've never shown dogs, but his parents had show titles, so I often wonder about his "quality". Would a conformation judge consider this a fault? Is this something that could be trimmed for a show?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0130.jpg (65.4 KB, 82 views)

Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Valued Member

Re: whiskers

First off, any trimming is against the written standard. By trimming this (I haven't seen the photo yet), you are mis-representing your dog.
There is a line that does carry the gene for beards similar to some terrier breeds have. I have been told that dogs that are heavily line bred on Ives carry/have this. I am sure there are people more knowledgable about then then I.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: whiskers

There are a good many Rotts with the "fu manchu" whisker thing in the corners of the mouth and it apparently means nothing since they have been bred and nothing ever shows up. There are also those with the same look (or with more chin hair) that carry the wire coat gene. I produce a true wire pup last year for the first time

Most people who show dogs with this yank out the extra hairs (not trim) but as Francis says when you do that it misrepresents the dogs, HOWEVER there is a large crowd of successful handlers and breeders that not only do that but trim the heck out of the dogs shoulders,necks, butts and underlines. I don't agree with it but it's out there

It is quite common (the extra fur and beards too) in some US and European lines
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13