Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Conformation Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Conformation Rottweilers Let's use this forum for the discussion of all issues related to conformation! Show brags will be posted in the appropriate forum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 04:31 PM

Talking Tattoos

Do most people have their dogs tattooed? We are thinking of showing ours, but he only has a microchip. Do I have to find out if there is going to be a scanner available at the show or should I buy one? I suppose they do the tattoos at the vets, right?

Old 02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Valued Member

Re: Tattoos

The only time you need to have a tattoo or have the scanner is if you plan on trialing in SchH.
Having your dog permamently identified is a good idea. If you decide to OFA certifiy your dog, if the do is tattoo'd or microchipped then the OFA information goes on the AKC pedigree. In CA it is against state law to sell a dog with a tattoo to research labs. IE a shelter can not sell a dog with a tattoo.
There are two usual areas to tattoo- the inside ear flap and the inside thigh. If you are doing SchH, then the ear tattoo is much easier to show the judge (don't have to down and flip the dog). Just flip the ear flap over. The ear tattoo is usually done with a clamp type device with pins forming the letters/numbers. The thigh is usually done with a needle like done on people.
You can do the ear on a very young puppy (before 7 weeks) or as an adult. I had one of my dogs done at age 2.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbkeays
The thigh is usually done with a needle like done on people.
You can do the ear on a very young puppy (before 7 weeks) or as an adult. I had one of my dogs done at age 2.
The thigh tattoos do not use a needle like with people... It is a pain-free procedure that takes little time... still better to do when the dog is 'out' b/c they will be squirming and may not like being on their back for something like this...
Hannibal vd Burg Dinklage BH
^Blaise^ BH, CGC 97-05

Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
The thigh tattoos do not use a needle like with people... It is a pain-free procedure that takes little time... still better to do when the dog is 'out' b/c they will be squirming and may not like being on their back for something like this...
Perhaps there is more then one way to do thigh tattoos? Three of my dogs were done with an electic needle and ink. The same person did all three over a 6 year period. The first time I did ask if that was the same method/equipment as people tattoos and I was told it was. None of my dogs were "out" and I do think it did sting some.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB

Old 02-07-2006, 03:40 AM

My female has tattoo, I have been in search of someone to do it for my male and have been hard-pressed to find someone to do it for me. it seems that thigh tattoos aren't in a high demand, and I don't like the ear tattoos and i have been told that theives will actually cut the ear off.......hers was done at the vetschool, and to this day it looks like I wrote on her with a permanent marker (does not hold true for all vetschools)........There is more than one way to do a thigh tattoo, but like I said It has been hard for me to even find a person that does it one way..........but my females was done the way fbkeys described, but I have seen a website that said they did a painfree method of tattoo, don't ask me how, but there is a whole website, however I believe there are only 'vendors' up north. If anyone knows of someone in texas let me know.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:05 PM

I had my boy done at an AKC show. Look at the premiums and many of them will have CERF, heart, tattoo clinics etc. I called every vet in my area and thought I found one to do it. Only after they knocked out my dog did they realize the tattoo gun was broken. Long story short, I went to a show and they were doing tattoo's for 15.00. Picked the boy up, put him on the table and all of a minute later, he was done. It was a tattoo gun, just like the one used when I got mine. It didn't appear to bother him at all and he was a year old when we did it.

Robert M

Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 AM

We got the tatoo gun too! Simple and easy as Macleod says!

Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Ancient Valued Member

A tattoo by definition is the injection of a pigment under the skin and this involves a needle or other sharp object. Here in the US that sharp object is either a pin clamp for ear tattoos (the most cruel form) or a tattoo gun which yes does have needles

I've been involved in the tattooing of many many rescues and some do just lay there but others scream, flail etc.. Like in people some don't seem bothered and for others it is mild torture.

After my rescue experience and experience over the years with NDR tattoists I would never have an awake dog of any age tattood
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTexan05
My female has tattoo, I have been in search of someone to do it for my male and have been hard-pressed to find someone to do it for me.
You might have some luck finding tattooers if you go through the United Schutzhund Clubs of America. If there are some clubs in your general vicinity, they may be able to direct you to somebody. The USA website is www.germanshepherddog.com.

Also, you might have some luck going to large animal vets or schools with livestock programs. When I was at university, a whole bunch of sheep were thigh tattooed in one afternoon using the pin-clamp style. A moderate number of sheep were done in a short amount of time and not a lot of stress on them overall. They didn't have to lay still for a long time while the info was "written" on them.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots
After my rescue experience and experience over the years with NDR tattoists I would never have an awake dog of any age tattood
All my dogs except for the last three were tattood in my home by a tattoists from NDR without a problem. All had both their ear and inner thighs done.

I asked if the procedure was painful and she applied the tip to my hand and I felt almost nothing. I guess it differs from one dog to another.

Multi BOB Can Ch Brandy Hills Foxy Lady CGC TT (AKC pt'd)
Multi BOB BISS A/C CFC Ch Brandy Hills Eze v Steinplatz

At the Bridge:

Roxanne, AJ, Chaty, Brava, & Ebo,Junior, & Odie

Old 03-25-2006, 04:58 PM

The ear/tattoo check in SchH is much more of a temperament test than anything else. Never have I had my own dog, or seen anyone else's checked against anything to "be sure the dog is the right dog." Therefore, you can work on pretending to show the inside of the ear as if it were tattooed, if you plan to do any SchH trials. Tattoos and chips are not needed for Sieger shows or AKC shows.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
The ear/tattoo check in SchH is much more of a temperament test than anything else. Never have I had my own dog, or seen anyone else's checked against anything to "be sure the dog is the right dog."
I have had to show my dog's ear 4 times. Three of the four times I felt like the judge was the tattoo fairy (ie tooth fairy, but for tattoos). One time the judge claimed that he could not read the tattoo and I felt like he would not let me continue. We did, but only after I spent time pointing out what each character was. My dog was fine about the judge hovering and his ear being pulled about. I am not sure I would pass that kind of temperament test, but my dog did.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB

Old 03-25-2006, 06:15 PM

I agree about the”temperament test” checking the ear tattoo or just look/manage the dog’s ears in SchH trails.

However, never have I been in a trail/show, where the judge didn’t ask me to look into the ear and read the tattoo nor have my vet done any vaccination, HD/ED or any other checks, that are confirmed on a piece of paper as a vet “certificate”, without checking the tattoo number. Well-knowing if he was not marked I could get all the same done... get the same piece of paper (but also cheat!)

I prefer the ear tattoo… who wants to turn a Rottweiler upside-down to check a thigh tattoo???

PS:
ALL dogs here, by law from 1993 must be chipped/tattooed and registered before the age of 4 months but that’s just registering… to identify the dog AND the owner!

All pups/dogs with a Danish Kennel Club pedigree are marked around the age of 7 weeks. The pups pedigrees are done and ready, when the Kennel Club’s ID people arrive and they tattoo or chip the same number as on the pedigree. This have been practice long time before the law of registration all dogs… to identify the specific dog, it’s origins and it’s genes!

Old 03-26-2006, 04:10 AM

Here in Canada all dogs MUST be permanently identified by either Tattoo or Microchip in order to be eligible for registration and this has to be done prior to the dog leaving the Breeders premises. In the case of a Tattoo, the series has to be approved by the CKC by means of application by the Breeder.

As noted in the other replies this is done to distinguish each individual dog in the instance that they are lost.

Personally I prefer the Tattoo method over the Microchip. We've tattooed at home with no issues, very quick procedure and the puppies behaved really well. Our last litter was done by a Tattoo Artist who made a house call!

Johnna

Old 03-26-2006, 06:45 AM

Out of curiosity - is there any way to identify who the breeder was by the tattoo? I just noticed a couple weeks ago that Rox has a tattoo in her ear. I hadn't even paid attention to it - just assumed it was a dark spot. I finally really looked at it worrying that maybe it wasn't and something was wrong.

Anyway - the people we got her from said she came from a breeder in central Florida that is involved in conformation. I would love to find out who it was. She truly is gorgeous. They couldn't remember the breeders name though. She had already been through 2 homes when we got her.