Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Conformation Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Conformation Rottweilers Let's use this forum for the discussion of all issues related to conformation! Show brags will be posted in the appropriate forum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 11:56 PM

AKC Boxer standard changed, Rottweilers Next?

The Boxer standard has changed. Approved by AKC.
Seems the parent club has backed off of ears and has a a tail as a penality
Hope we don't have to start thinking about rots with tails

Body: The chest is of fair width, and the forechest well-defined and visible from the side. The brisket is deep, reaching down to the elbows; the depth of the body at the lowest point of the brisket equals half the height of the dog at the withers. The ribs, extending far to the rear, are well-arched but not barrel-shaped. The loins are short and muscular. The lower stomach line is slightly tucked up, blending into a graceful curve to the rear. The croup is slightly sloped, flat and broad. The pelvis is long, and in females especially broad. The tail is set high, docked, and carried upward. An undocked tail should be severely penalized.

Ears: Set at the highest points of the sides of the skull, the ears are customarily cropped, cut rather long and tapering, and raised when alert. If uncropped, the ears should be of moderate size, thin, lying flat and close to the cheeks in repose, but falling forward with a definite crease when alert.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:39 AM

Re: Boxer standard Rottweilers Next?

my rott has a tail and she's the most beautiful dog I have ever seen.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
What is that supposed to mean? You aren't familiar with tailed Rottweilers? Never seen the FCI standard? You don't want the ARC to open the standard for revision?

Old 02-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Re: AKC Boxer standard changed, Rottweilers Next?

Quote:
Hope we don't have to start thinking about rots with tails .[/B]
Why? What's wrong with Rottweilers with tails?

Old 02-26-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillinium
my rott has a tail and she's the most beautiful dog I have ever seen.
I saw a rottie, with a tail, not too long ago. It was a beautiful two year old. I would certainly have no trouble owning a rottie with a tail, if I fell in love with the right one.

Beledi/Erda's mom

Old 02-26-2005, 11:44 AM

my boxer has natural ears and if anything makes a dog look friendlier. On the other hand my minpin has hers done, but I think they just look plain silly without the crop, like satillite dishes on those tiny heads. They are supposed to stand up with or without the crop...
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 02-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Vintage Valued Member

I have absolutely no problem regarding a tailed Rottie. As long as there is a printed standard which allows both, I can be happy.

My own personal preference is currently for the docked look. Raven's parents, however are tailed and titled imports. The tails are lovely, broad, thick and well carried. (similar to a Lab) If there is no standard set, you'd soon see thiner, more curled tails that are carried too high. (...and I don't mean with excitement)That would be ugly!

Old 02-26-2005, 12:21 PM

Sure I have seen tails on Rotts. I just like my rott with out tails. If I want so show them in AKC shows I best not have a tail on them.

Last edited by Digger; 02-26-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 01:45 PM

You should have caught me 9 days ago on this one!

Now that we've had our boy for 8 days, both my wife and I are getting used to having a tailed rottweiler.

Never say never, check my previous posts, I was against it too, now it's growing on me.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:19 PM

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Canadian Kennel Club, along with the Rottweiler Club of Canada, recently (a couple years ago) changed the standard to allow Rottweilers with tails to be shown in conformation. Although you don't see a lot of them, they are around and being shown and getting their championships respectively. It is all esthetics - a tail does change the appearances, but it doesn't change the overall qualities of the dog. It doesn't make a dog with stop suddenly have none, or a dog with a dark eye have a light eye. It is actually nice to see them. There are a number of them in Calgary and I really enjoy watching them strut their stuff.

I personally like the fact that you can read the dog that much better with the tail. I don't have any with tails, but should it come a time when we cannot dock any more, I won't be all that upset!

Kristi[/FONT]

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 PM

My next Rott will have a tail!

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 02-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX_H8r
Never say never, check my previous posts, I was against it too, now it's growing on me.
Can I say "Told ya so!!!" yet??

Old 02-26-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
There is much more and MORE important thing to worry about in the breed than a natural tail.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:42 PM

Worry ? The breedstandard is one of the toughest that I have seen. I just don't want to see the ARC standard change. It would take years just to decide how the dog should carry it and what the standard should be. I have heard all the different people talk about tails and can understand if a person want them. We work towards that standard for years and I would like to see it stay the same.

The question is why are we even talking about not cropping tail and flop ear boxers or Rotts ? I dont think the dogs made a request to keep them. It was someone that didnt like it being done.

The thread was started in the conformation area. I have to remember that not everyone is AKC or ARC friendly. Hell I dont like some of the off the wall places you can get papers on a cross breed that you made up. Not everyone that replies are conformation people. I have talked to owner that think only an import is a true Rott. We will have to see what happens over the years.

There is some good stuff on on ARC site about tail docking issue. Take a look!

Last edited by Digger; 02-26-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:

It would take years just to decide how the dog should carry it and what the standard should be.
FCI made that decision many years ago!!!

Quote:
I donít think the dogs made a request to keep them.

Please tell me about JUST ONE dog requested being cropped or docked???

Quote:
and flop ear boxers or Rotts ?
Tails are docked and ears are cropped but I have yet to see a Rottweiler with crooped ears... yes flop ears...but if you (with ALL respect) look into the standard... you will not find a Rottweiler with flop ears

Last edited by damp; 02-26-2005 at 11:02 PM.