Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Conformation Rottweilers
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Conformation Rottweilers Let's use this forum for the discussion of all issues related to conformation! Show brags will be posted in the appropriate forum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 01:37 PM

Black mouth/pink mouth

What is the difference?

Rocky has a black mouth....and some people's dogs have pink mouth......

Does it mean anything?
[font=Comic Sans MS]Mom to Diesel (my rottweiler) [/font]

Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 PM

Rottweilers are supposed to have black mouth pigment. It doesn't mean anything if the dog is pink, other than the fact that they do not conform to the written and accepted standard. If you don't show or breed, then it really does not matter what color mouth your Rott has, although ideally ALL Rotts should have black mouths.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:42 PM

Ok! Thanks for info.....!!!!
[font=Comic Sans MS]Mom to Diesel (my rottweiler) [/font]

Old 12-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Valued Member

Really this is a bit off the subject but has anyone else heard that the darker the mouth pigment the smarter they are?...... This was the first myth of many I heard when I got Psyche but this post reminded me of that and was wondering if anyone else have ever been told that? Wonder where people come up with this stuff......:D

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 12-16-2003, 01:56 PM

I have heard that myth before.

Merlin's mouth is pink with black marbling. Wonder if that is why he is smart one day and a complete knob other days.
Everchanging Foster dogs
At The Bridge: Merlin (my heart dog), Harley, Pumpkin, Mopar

Old 12-17-2003, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burnsway
Really this is a bit off the subject but has anyone else heard that the darker the mouth pigment the smarter they are?...... This was the first myth of many I heard when I got Psyche but this post reminded me of that and was wondering if anyone else have ever been told that? Wonder where people come up with this stuff......:D
I have heard that myth also.

Akasha,CDX,SchHA,BH,OBI,AD,RE,TDI,TC,CGC

Keil,CDX,BH,RE,AD,TDI,TC,CGC

*Kaleb*Ch Esmonds Shoot To Thrill,RA,CGC

*Kenya*Esmonds Nairobian Princess

Old 12-17-2003, 06:01 PM

I've heard the myth of the darker the pigment the smarter the dog also.

:)
Brooke

Old 12-17-2003, 06:58 PM

Pink mouths can be heavily penalized in the German ring. I've seen it knock an otherwise V dog down to SG several times.

A black mouth is a beautiful thing.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:01 PM

The FCI standard states the Lips should be black with the gums as dark as possible. It makes mention of pink lips being faulty, but makes no mention of pink mouth pigment being faulty in any way. (Although we all know it is occasionally judged harshly.)

The AKC standard states: Lips-Always black; corners closed; inner mouth pigment is preferred dark. Serious Faults--Total lack of mouth pigment (pink mouth).

Many things can cause a dog's mouth color to be "non-black". Genetics is a major player, but, I have also heard that other factors can contribute greatly. I've heard stress can be a major factor, vaccinations, diet, water, and lots of things.

IMO I don't feel mouth pigment should be judged any differently than any other part of the dog. In fact, I believe structural inadequacies should be penalized much more than pigment. Lack of pigment in the markings or no markings should be just as much of an issue as a mottled mouth.

As far mouth pigment affecting intelligence, that's just plain BS.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:15 PM

Amoung my show friends, we jokingly refer to the intermittent pink spotting as "bubble gums!" Looks like a wad of Bazooka!

It's not a serious fault unless int involves the entire mouth. The darker the better for the rest. Of course it has nothing to do with intellegence. Strange notion!

Old 12-24-2003, 06:51 PM

Bazooka! That's what we call our male when he smiles. His whole mouth is pink, probably one of the reasons he was retired early from the show ring. I heard a breeder say recently that he thought it was difficult to get both the very dark eye and the very dark mouth. For instance, our male, as just stated, has a pink mouth, but very dark eyes. Our female has a dark mouth, but eyes that are lighter than one would prefer. Just an opinion I thought I'd toss out here.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:52 PM

I have heard the above w/ the intelligence of a dog, but I have also heard the darker the mouth, the calmer the dog is.

Damer: CGC: Bullmastiff age 8 1/2
Dallas: Rottweiler Rescue, 6/5/2002-5/4/2010 diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma.
[/FONT]

Old 01-02-2004, 06:20 PM

Does that apply to the entire mouth, gums? Can someone explain just a little more for me.

Our Rottie Angels Watching Over Us
Happy
Zeus
Bear

Old 01-02-2004, 08:35 PM

i have heard that you can use norweign kelp and it will darken the pigment in the mouth.there are many things that can cause a mouth to go from black to pink. :)

Old 01-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Be VERY careful of kelp. Over supplementation of kelp has been responsible for thyroid issues. Kelp provides a high iodine load to the thyroid gland which may lead to hyper or hypothyroidism. If you are going to use it, great, but be very careful not to over do it.

Personally a breeder friend of mine turned me on to iron tablets for pigmentation. Just regular old human iron supplement...1 pill per meal. I believe the ones I use are 47 mg but you can also use the 65 mg tabs.