Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Rottweiler Discussion Forums (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/breeding/)
-   -   How To Tail Band (http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/breeding/39181-how-tail-band.html)

bacardi 08-31-2004 07:52 PM

How To Tail Band

Hi There, I Would Love To Hear From Anyone About There Technique Of Tail Banding, And How You Do It, And What Are The Do's And Don'ts Involved In Docking Your Own Tails, As With This Litter I'm Considering On Doing My Own Tails, With My Last Litter I Took Them To The Vet To Do Them, But Would Like To See If The Banding Method Is The Better Option Or Not.

RottiMomCT 08-31-2004 09:13 PM

Re: How To Tail Band

Don't do it yourself. Take the pups to a vet to have them docked before the age of 4 days.

If you'd be OK with having a band put on your finger and waiting until the end fell off, then there should be no problem with banding the tails.

I think the docking is quicker and less painful for the pups, less chance for infection and less of a chance for the pups to chew at each others banded tails.

Just my opinion.

diddybopper04 08-31-2004 09:16 PM

I have done both, and I will never take a litter to a vet for docking again.

RottiMomCT 08-31-2004 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddybopper04
If you have not witnessed both docking AND banding, you should not judge.

I have done both, and I will never take a litter to a vet for docking again.

I have witnessed both, and watching a pup trying to get a painful rubber band off of his tail was enough for me. I've seen too many pups come to rescue and/or vets with infected tails because the bands didn't sever the tail completely and the dog just kept growing - not pretty.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but why is every word of your posts capilatized?? Just curious :smile: ...I feel like I'm reading a big huge title to a book or something :biggrin: .

diddybopper04 08-31-2004 09:22 PM

Banding is done at birth or no later than 3 days. My puppies nursed soon after, fussed lightly for several hours, and nothing more. No screaming puppies. No screaming bitch. No stitches. Tails were off within 48 hours. No stress for the bitch. and very little for me and the puppies.

It worked for me.

Perhaps not for others.

bacardi 08-31-2004 09:45 PM

the reason why I'm asking about banding method is that when I took my last litter into the vets for tail docking they screamed alot after 2-3 hrs that it was done, they wouldnt even drink from there dam due to them being in pain so much

MARYDVM 08-31-2004 09:57 PM

Tail banding is an acceptable method of docking - when done correctly. This is absolutely NOT something you can learn over the internet. It has to be demonstrated by someone who is experienced with the method. If there are no experienced breeders nearby to help you, you should not attempt it.

If pups are given a local anesthetic when surgically docked, there should be no pain at all after the procedure.

frontierrots 08-31-2004 10:12 PM

Agree with Mary 10000%.

I band tails for my own and have done rescue pups as well. And when done correctly is much more humane than cutting. I also will never have tails cut off again. (also no vet I've spoken too here in NH will even consider using anesthetic for tails :( They feel it's a waste of $)

HOWEVER this is a method you MUST learn to do in person from a person who is well versed in it. IF you screw up bad things WILL happen. IF you don't keep the pups indoors and very clean, bad things WILL happen

So I repeat what Mary said. Either pay a vet to do them or find a long time, well experienced breeder who has banded tails for a good long time with good results to instruct you... IN PERSON

TrinityRun 08-31-2004 11:02 PM

I would never take another litter to the vet for docking again. Banding all the way for me.

Nico'sMom 08-31-2004 11:39 PM

I would recommend going to the vet unless you are SURE you are doing it right- Nico had a badly infected tail when we got him from a docking gone wrong because the people didn't know what they were doing.

TrishB 09-01-2004 03:54 PM

I've seen both methods. A vet that is experienced at docking does a lovely job with little pain to the pups. The clinic I managed used vetbond (tissue adheasive) to the tails - no stitches for the bitch to fuss over. They healed beautifully.

Banding can also be done with great success - but again, it's not something you can learn over the internet. You must see it in person, from an experienced individual.

In my opinion, since every breeder should have a mentor, they would have already taught you their preferred method. :wink:

BostonRott 09-01-2004 04:56 PM

I have banded both litters, would never take pups to a vet for docking. The banding went well, no fuss, no muss. Clean, tie, wait. Never had infections or problems. I was shown how to do it on my A litter by a friend in NY, did the B litter myself.

sherri 09-01-2004 10:52 PM

Banding seems cruel to me. Makes as much sense as cutting the tail off a little at a time so it doesn't hurt as much. Why would anyone want to do this to their puppies??

Mick Trainer 09-01-2004 10:55 PM

I used to dock now I band.

fbkeays 09-02-2004 12:42 AM

I first became aware of banding in college. My college roommate raised sheep to pay her way though college. I learned a lot about sheep the 2 years we roomed together. Sheep tails are banded. I won't mention how the lambs are castrated :rolleyes: