Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Question Length of heat cycle

Nadja went into her first heat cycle at 7 months. We are not planning to breed her. I have read about the variation in lenth of cycle. Since I have an intact male, we have been kenneling both to make sure we don't have a mistake (I know about breeding through the fence. The kennels aren't side by side). I would like to know what safety window I should use before letting them loose again. She stopped bleeding on day 10, and I know that is the start of the critical period. I was going to wait 3 weeks from start of bleeding. But, after reading other postings, I'm thinking that may be too short a time.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 AM

Re: Length of heat cycle

I would definitely wait at least 28 to 32 days from the first day of bleeding. Hopefully you noticed it on the first day of her cycle. The reason I say this is that I had a bitch that was bred by artificial insemination on day 28 of her cycle and it was a successful breeding. My repro vet also cited a client of his that was bred on day 32 and that one also took. Some people wait three weeks, but from my experience I would wait a bit longer just to be on the safe side.
Tascha 10/22/95 - 7/15/03
Rory 3/19/01 - 3/3/07