Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Whelping Box flooring material?

I'm really curious to see what kinds of flooring material others use for their whelping boxes?

The whelping box I have is made out of wood, and I'm using cotton sheets, and alternating it with carpet, which I take out and steam clean inbetween uses.

Just recently began putting in crate pads made out of microfiber material which is slightly padded, soft, and it makes a great snoozing spot for the pups, plus it's so easy to wash and keep clean.

Also does anyone else use the wee-wee pads?

I did with the last litter to get them to eliminate in one area when they were still too little to get out of the box.

Looking forward to hearing some other suggestions - thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Whelping Box flooring material?

In years past I had a stall mat in the bottom of the box and covered 1/2 with bedding and 1/2 with papers

the last 2 litters I had a floorless box on a tarp in the living area. I put papers on top of the tarp, then bedding on 1/2 and pee pads on the other 1/2
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Valued Member

I use a floorless box on top of a big piece of remaindered vinyl flooring, then put towels down (big enough to go all the way across and tuck under the sides). I use a litterbox and Feline Pine litter. You can take the dirty towels up, mop the floor, then put clean towels down, when needed (I found cleanup much less with the litterbox, and they use it pretty reliably).

Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Red face Re: Whelping Box flooring material?

Congrats on your litter

I currently have three, 1-week old pups that I am trying new ideas on. A poodle breeder-friend suggested using dry sheathing that can be picked up at any hardware store. It's been working extremely well and I highly recommend it.
  • Environmentally friendly, made from 100% recycled materials.
  • Used for hardwood floor underlayment and protects floors when painting, renovating, or moving.
  • Line your car truck to shield against spills or debris and also a great floor protector from oil spills.
  • 430.5 sq.ft. of coverage per roll, size is 3 ft. x 143.5 ft.

It is purchased in a large roll, looks like brown kraft paper but feels more like a thinner felt. I think I paid about $17 for it. I change the dry sheathing daily (it's taped down with duct tape to the box floor) and place sturdy matting (taped down) on top. I still have more than half of the roll left. I managed to find some small mattress pad covers give the pups some purchase for their paws and easily enough to clear/sterilize in my washer. (I have a steam washer/dryer to kill bacteria)

I also purchased through my work, Accel TB medical disinfectant in wet wipes and liquid form. No harsh smells, etc.
http://www.virox.com/product/msds/pd...hApril2007.pdf

Dianna
^Donnie + PDQ^

Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Thank you everybody for your ideas.

I do have a big roll of brown, thick craft paper but it's very slick. The floor underlayment is an intriguing idea. Never thought of it, but will definitely check it out next time I'm at Home Depot.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I had a wood floor covered with paper then the half fleece blanket and half more paper a lot like Diane. I of couse came in to a large amount of packing paper. Paper became the obvious choice. I used cedar chips on half the pen when I moved them out of the box. Cedar really helped with the smell! It got all over the house though.
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10