Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM

my bitch is on day 13 and the stud dog is not interested

Help. I have taken my bitch to the stud twice, no result, he had another bitch available to him. I spoke to the breeder and we agreed for the dog to come to my house. She was on day 12 yesterday and signalling for him to mount her and he was'nt very keen. She is on day 13 now and he still has'nt done anything so I am not sure what I should do, I have seperated them now for a couple of hours to see if I can get him interested - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that....lol.....
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 909726 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 AM

Re: my bitch is on day 13 and the stud dog is not interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffwood View Post
Help. I have taken my bitch to the stud twice, no result, he had another bitch available to him. I spoke to the breeder and we agreed for the dog to come to my house. She was on day 12 yesterday and signalling for him to mount her and he was'nt very keen. She is on day 13 now and he still has'nt done anything so I am not sure what I should do, I have seperated them now for a couple of hours to see if I can get him interested - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that....lol.....
Nothing happened, I forgot to mention that he spent the entire night trying to break out of our yard and has spend the best part of today, sleeping it off. The breeder is expecting to be paid a stud fee. For what? I think this dog is too inexperienced and I am not willing to cough up for something that did'nt happen.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Valued Member

Just curious, how old are they?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM

How can a stud owner ask for money when a SERVICE was not supplied????

Is there a Rottie club in your area?

Has this dog ever bred before?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Valued Member

Some bitches are ready to be bred much later than day 13. If he is an experienced stud dog, trust HIM!

Secondly, your anxiety is definitely NOT helping!

And, last but not least, every stud contract I have ever seen or heard about addresses under what conditions the fee is due; most I have seen say 2 live pups. If he doesn't breed her, there won't be live pups. Did your contract with the stud dog owner not address this?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm willing to bet there's no "contract", this sounds like a BYB in the making.

Forever my special angels.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM

mistake one. male who is not experienced at the bitches house. it's the other way around.
mistake 2. did you do testing on ovulation? days mean nothing.
questions....age of dogs? too old, too young?
breeding is a big responsibility and alot of work.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Thank you all so much for replying, I appreciate it. To answer a few queries. There was a contract for $1,500 the first sentence clearly states " This contract will guarantee the actual mating of listed dogs". My female is 3 and the stud dog was 3 1/2, he has apparently sired one litter so far but because of his 'lines' we thought he would be a good choice. I have to say in defence of the dog he was absolutely gorgeous, wonderful temperament, great bones excellent pedigree etc etc. What is a BYB? The reason the dog came here is that where he boards, there was at least 1 bitch in season and I believe that the stud owner had introduced his dog to this bitch also. The end result is, the dog became distressed and spent the day pacing up and down our yard, looking for a way out and crying I called the stud owner to come, pick up his dog because I was concerned about him being distressed. (He would have been too tired to do anything else anyway) End result, guy picked his dog up, abused me, tore up contract and left yelling obscenities as he drove down the street. My bitch is resting and I will give mating her this season a big miss and try again next season with a 'proven' stud.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffwood View Post
End result, guy picked his dog up, abused me, tore up contract and left yelling obscenities as he drove down the street. My bitch is resting and I will give mating her this season a big miss and try again next season with a 'proven' stud.
Sounds like it worked out very well for you after all!!! An idiot like that guy doesn't need to OWN a Rottweiler...much less breed them! I'm hoping that your bitch has health clearances through the OFA as well as some conformation and working titles -- if that is the case, you have a multitude of stud dogs with the same qualifications and responsible owners to choose from. Good choice to put it off this time -- do some research and good luck next time!

U-CD, FO, GRCH, CH Ciel Legend Vom Stefanhaus, CDX, AJP, AXP, RAE, PT, JHD, CS, CI, CX, BH, RL1, TT, CGC, , THD, TDIAV (born 2-15-03)
and many other furry *kids*

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavides View Post
Sounds like it worked out very well for you after all!!! An idiot like that guy doesn't need to OWN a Rottweiler...much less breed them! I'm hoping that your bitch has health clearances through the OFA as well as some conformation and working titles -- if that is the case, you have a multitude of stud dogs with the same qualifications and responsible owners to choose from. Good choice to put it off this time -- do some research and good luck next time!
I agree with Shawna. I think you got very lucky. I've never bred dogs, but my experience with breeding mares and going and seeing stallions and talking to their owners taught me that the people who own the other party to the breeding are almost as important as the animal they own (it's particularly important with a horse, as it's 11 months before you see any results once the mare is in foal, and problems with the actual breeding and getting a mare in foal seem to occur more often with horses than dogs)

Do some work with your girl, get your health clearances and titles. Then you will have lots of good dogs to choose from.

Forever my special angels.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Seems the dog was smarter.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I don't breed dogs and never will. But I am curious about something. Experienced breeders chime in here...

Would a stud dog (proven or not) breed with another female in standing heat, if he was already introduced to a female in heat (standing or not) before that?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
I don't breed dogs and never will. But I am curious about something. Experienced breeders chime in here...

Would a stud dog (proven or not) breed with another female in standing heat, if he was already introduced to a female in heat (standing or not) before that?
I am not an experienced breeder, but I do have intact dogs. The very short and easy answer is YES! A male dog isn't that picky and has no morals when it comes to a bitch in heat.
CH Sam CDX RE CI
CH Louie CD RE
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM

yes. but if male is not dominant, stressed, and not much experienced and in a new place...he might not.
looks like this was not handled correctly from the get go.
female should be tested till in her prime breeding dates and then taken to male.
but if things happened and owner got mad and shredded contract...might as well.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Valued Member

The end result is, the dog became distressed and spent the day pacing up and down our yard, looking for a way out and crying I called the stud owner to come, pick up his dog because I was concerned about him being distressed.

Can I also say that if you see this male as having a good temperament and this happens you need to take a serious look at what temperament is. For a stud dog to get so stressed by being out of his yard etc that he will not mate shows truly poor higher nerve system activity and I would never mate from such a dog. I cannot truly think of a stress that is so high (short of beating a dog) that could make a truly sound Rottweiler so stressed he chooses not to mate. A true Stud dog will go through a lot to "mate" and being out of his yard should concern him about as much as a fly landing upon his back. If the dogs nerve or desire to make is so low then for me he should not be bred from.

Mick.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.