Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Saw a "rare" Rottweiler today

At work today a lady came in with a dog that looked like a rottweiler, except he was blue and tan. Immediately I was thinking it must be one of those "rare" rottweilers, where a breeder has a differently colored dog they sell for tons of money just because of some genetic flaw, or because a dobie or some other breed was mixed in there a few generations back. Wondering if this was the case, I went up and talked to the lady. Don't get me wrong, this dog was beautiful! I was asking about how she got her dog and where from, and as it turns out her son was breeding rotties and had a litter with 2 albinos. (I guess an albino rott turns out looking blue?) Anyways, everything I was suspecting was confirmed.

This dog came from a place where breeding isn't taken seriously, but it is fun and viewed as a good source of income. She told me this dog is worth tons and tons of money, which made me think her son is probably trying to breed more of them to make even more money. I told her that albino's aren't ack recognized or anything and dogs like this shouldn't be so expensive since they technically aren't up to standard. I didn't really know what else to say to her without causing any upset.

It was kind of cool to see a dog like this though, I have to admit.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Saw a "rare" Rottweiler today

There is a good reason for albino and other different from the standard colored dogs. Many times health problems accompany the color. Albino dogs generally have major skin problems among other things.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Valued Member

Albino is only white with pink nose, pads, etc.

Blue is the dilute of black and is an allowed color in Dobermans. Their "fawn" is the dilute of their red or rust dogs.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Vintage Valued Member

<rolling eyes> Once again, it makes you wonder... what stupidity lays hold of peoples minds, sometimes. Just plunder along, and make your own rules.

Tons and tons of money! INDEED! ...Yet, someone without thinking twice, will probably lay down the cash. What was that Barnum and Bailey comment? About a fool and his money?

I'm beginning to believe... they travel in packs!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

LOL... poor poor buyers... first they spend tons of money on the rare dog, then they spend tons more at the vet! Yippeeeee!!!

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM

This dog didn't have a pink nose or anything. Its nose was grey, and its eyes were yellow. I didn't get to see the paw pads, but the nails were black. So this probably wasn't an albino, but maybe some doberman genes showing through.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsNScotts View Post
Albino is only white with pink nose, pads, etc.

Blue is the dilute of black and is an allowed color in Dobermans. Their "fawn" is the dilute of their red or rust dogs.
Even though allowed there are lots of skin problems with blue Dobermans.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Not Doberman genes. Dobies are descended from Rotts not the other way

However Rottweilers and Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs are closely related. Red GSMD and Blue GSMD are fairly common in some lines

While totally undesireable in our breed, the genes for Blue or Red dogs must still be there at least in some lines.

To sell any DQ faulted dog as rare and more valuable though (red, blue, long coat, wire coat etc) is despicable and immoral
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Burke View Post
Even though allowed there are lots of skin problems with blue Dobermans.
I can attest to that. I lost my beloved blue Ajax last fall. At around 2 years of age his saddle area had thinned out and there was nothing to be done for it. Fortunately, his wasn't as bad as some I've seen. The skin was rough, but didn't cause him any quality of life issues.