Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM

How to Keep Females from getting Pregnant

Hi, everyone. if you have a couple of dogs in your home at the same time and don't want to keep them in crates all the time, how do you keep the females from getting pregnant? aside from keeping them apart. is there a medication or something??i currently have a Male Maltese (Neutered), Female Ovcharca Caucasian (Spayed), and a Male Rottie intact, and was thinking about maybe getting a Female for future Breeding. but i don't want to keep them separated all the time. or is that the only way to avoid problems?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Re: How to Keep Females from getting Pregnant

That is the only way that I know to avoid problems. I have heard of dogs being kenneled next to each other and digging under the kennel to get to the female, or the female digging under the kennel to get to the male. Also when your bitch is outside her pheromones can be smelled for miles by other male dogs, you may have visitors show up at your house, or catch you female actually trying to dig out of the yard to go search for a mate. Also you mentioned that you already have two males in the house, even though the one is neutered having a female come into heat could still create problems, especially if your male Rott claims your female as his, which he probably will.

On a second note, why are you wanting to breed? Is it to better the breed further, or is it just to have puppies? Do you know what your sire and dams pedigrees are, and if so do you know if their is any genetic disorders on either side that could potentially lead to disaster for the puppies, have the sire/dam been proven in anything, other than being a dog? Also have you heealth tested your male for hips, and cardio? If you think that breeding is for you, read some articles on Breed or Not to Breed, I used to think that I wanted to too, but when you put into persepctive how many dogs out there are put down in shelters, because of hobby breeders, and how much work the real breeders out their put into breeding their dogs, the reasons many people breed are stupid. I am sure I am not the only one with this view on your question!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

dogs can get pregnant during their heat cycle. they come into heat every 5-7 months typically. separate when in season or spay are the best pregnancy control methods.
there are cheque drops(not always available) you can do, but must do daily, and when stop them, must breed and there are side effects.
breeding is a big responsibility. please look into it wisely.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

I am Not going into breeding tomorrow. i was just wondering if there is a safe, humane way to keep a female from getting pregnant, i did say that i have a female dog that is Spayed, and a Male that is Nurtured. My Rottie is not Nurtured and I'm not planning on nurturing him since i want to keep that option open. but I am planning on putting my female to sleep in a couple of Years since she is already showing bad hips. and i did say i was "thinking about" possibly getting an other female dog to Possibly mate. True i didn't say when, my male pup is only 2 months old now, so of course i can't breed him anytime soon. not until he is at least 2 and has had his OFA and Health done and the results are Great. and of course after he has proven himself by earning some tittles. then i would consider maybe getting a female Pup of course she would have to be proven in the same ways. my question was if i have a male and female in my home at the same time, is there a Safe Birth Control Method to keep the female from getting pregnant, i don't believe in Keeping dogs in Crates only to let them out to eat and Potty. my dogs run free in my home and yard.? i wouldn't let them or want them to Breed just because they are both Rotties.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 PM

You will have to keep the female in heat away from any potential mate...crating the dogs during this time is good but then you must listen to your male dog cry. You can also board you dog during the heat season which is a better option IMO.