Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Talking when can you dock a puppies tail

I just had a litter of puppies. The mother was doing great we had their tails dock when they were not quiet 24 hours old. All of them has since died. And i am wondering if their tails were dock to early and it put them into shock. I have owned a rottweiler now for 13 years. Not the same one. I've never breed but decicded to do it for a hobby.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Post Re: when can you dock a puppies tail

I think most breeders usually do it from 2-5 days of age?
Who did the tail docking? What did the vet say? How many puppies were there?
Is the mother o.k.? Has she been checked by the vet? I would also suspect her milk? maybe infected or contaminated?

You should have left your female for a pet...breeding dogs is not a hobby. Breeding, as you have seen puts the mother's life on the line, as well as the babies. Lots of heartbreak.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Re: when can you dock a puppies tail

I had always heard it was around days 2-4. Why did the vet want to dock their tails when they were only 24 hours old?

I too am curious as to how mum is doing? Hope she is being seen to by a vet.

What made you decide to breed her? Obviously she's pure, with papers. What are her working titles and is she shown for confirmation? How old is she?

Breeding is not something to be taken lightly and i think you will get a few comments here about that and also about being a BYB.

I am sorry for the loss of the puppies, hopefully someone will read you post who is also thinking of 'breeding as a hobby' and will think twice before putting her baby at risk

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM

My puppies were done at 3hrs old. they were delivered by c section and once everyone was nursing well my vet did their dews and tails. he said he does it as young as possible due to the thickness of the bone. My guys are 7 weeks and doing well. My vet's standard is before 5days old. Also my last litter was 24hrs old when they wre done. all did well.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM

this is out of the norm practice. its done atleast when pups are 2 days old. i know some who wait till they are 5 to 7 days so they can find exactly the right place to dock.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Out of the normal practice in Sri Lanka, perhaps, but from the posts here others here in the US have had them done that early.

Get the mom to a vet to be checked out, as her milk is a more likely cause than the docking since they all died.

And, I also would suggest that you get your girl spayed as soon as your vet says it is OK. As you've already learned, breeding is not something to take lightly -- not every dog that is capable of producing should be bred.

Forever my special angels.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the reply. I do take breeding seriously. I also breed chichuauas and always have success. I say I do it as a hobby because my love is to give people good pets. I wouldn't do anything to hurt any of my 7 dogs. Which include 4 chichuauas 1 bassett hound and 2 rottweilers. I love my dogs like my children. The reason I ask the question was because the vet told me they went into shock from the tail docking. I am not just someone that has no idea about breeding. I have been doing it for awhile. I just love my rotts. And yes they are AKC regristered with very good boodlines

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM

The mom is doing great.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM

I know my pups tail was done when he was 3 days and all of his litter mates survived.

Breeding dogs is not something that should be done just as a hobby unless it is a serious hobby, meaning you have proven your breeding dogs worthy of producing more pups by showing them and making sure they have passed all health certifications. People who do not do this are considered "BYBs", ones who simply breed either for money or just for fun because puppies are cute, or for whatever reason.

The only people who should be breeding dogs are the ones who know what they are doing and who know the breed standards and want to better the breed.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of an entire litter, and I hope that your female is doing well!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 AM

Thumbs down my female is fine.

she is doing fine and i do know the breed I do know the breed standards and iam trying to better the breed. I asked the question for some advice not to be cut down. I am not running some puppy mill or anything to that nature. And what are BYB's I am not some cruel person. I love my dogs like they are my children and i asure you that my female is getting to most love any dog could get right now. Yes she has been to the vet and she is fine. She was a wonderful mother as well. and when i said a hobby that just was the best to describe it. I breed chichuauas as well and have never had a problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2981 View Post
Thanks for all the reply. I do take breeding seriously. I also breed chichuauas and always have success. I say I do it as a hobby because my love is to give people good pets. I wouldn't do anything to hurt any of my 7 dogs. Which include 4 chichuauas 1 bassett hound and 2 rottweilers. I love my dogs like my children. The reason I ask the question was because the vet told me they went into shock from the tail docking. I am not just someone that has no idea about breeding. I have been doing it for awhile. I just love my rotts. And yes they are AKC regristered with very good boodlines

Happy to hear mum is doing well.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2981 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the whole litter. Glad to hear the dam is doing well.

Who docked the puppies tails? That you are asking when you can dock tails indicates to me that a vet didn't dock them or you would know the answer to your question.
Is it possible they became infected?

Some people band tails instead of docking and they do this shortly after birth with no problems. Over here docking is usually done on day 3. I don't know any breeders would dock later than that.

Umm, I have a comment. If you are an experienced registered breeder I would have expected you to know the correct breed name of the dogs you breed and how to spell it. There is no such breed as 'chichuauas'.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Umm, I have a comment. If you are an experienced registered breeder I would have expected you to know the correct breed name of the dogs you breed and how to spell it. There is no such breed as 'chichuauas'.
I think that was just a typo?

Over here it's now basically illegal to dock, as of about march last year, our Zakk is one of the last to have been docked based on his estimated age, but even then there is still a good 4" left on.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
I think that was just a typo?

Over here it's now basically illegal to dock, as of about march last year, our Zakk is one of the last to have been docked based on his estimated age, but even then there is still a good 4" left on.
Don't think it was a typo as it was spelt the same way twice. I bolded it in my post.

It's illegal to dock in Australia now too....takes a while to get used to seeing them with full tails.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 AM

Please forgive my not reading the quoted section properly, indeed you are correct.

Not seen any with full tails yet but I bet they look awesome, despite the potential drawbacks for working dogs.