Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Talking Can pups go into heat at 6 months old?

I feel kind of silly about asking...However I have only ever owned one dog at a time when growing up. Now I have two sweet Rottweiler pups, and want to make sure I am making the right decision.

I bought two 5 1/2 month old Rottweilers that are brother and sister. Will they try to mate? If so when is the normal time that a female Rottweiler goes into heat? Cuase I don't want to have inbreeding to occure. Should I get the male or the female fixed?

I was kind of wanting to keep the female as is, because I would love to have her mate with another male down the road. However I was told that it was best to get her fixed due to breast cancer? Is this a common issue with dogs or with Rottweilers in general.

I was noticing when they play at times, Lexie will get ontop of max in a mounting position. I was told that this was her showing domance over him... However at times she gets off and sticks her end in his face... Should I be worried?

I was just curious on peoples thoughts on this...

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Re: Can pups go into heat at 6 months old?

why do you want to breed your dogs? Have you shown them? Have you titled them? Do you know that they must both be cleared for hip/elbow displaysia? Did you know that you must have their eyes and heart tested? Has the male down the road been tested and cleared? Until you have learned about breeding and what entails being a COE breeder, I suggest you leave it to the professionals. And since you're asking about when a bitch goes into heat, I'm assuming you don't have the knowledge yet - I know everyone starts from somewhere, but not like this. You should contact the breeder where you got your puppies (if it's a COE breeder) and learn from them for YEARS before attempting to breed.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Also keep in mind if the pup get preggo at 6-7 months it is really hard for a puppy to have puppies. Not healthy for her at all. I would take Shelbies advice and speak to your breeder. There is A LOT that goes into breeding, and it needs to be for all the right reasons, not just because.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Hello LadyMckee: Yes, she can go into heat as early as 6 months old and yes, they will mate. They don't care that they are brother and sister.

I bet if you read up on this sight on breeding and other puppy developement that you will change your mind and not want to breed either of your dogs. Some things to ask yourself are: are you going to be putting them into training? (I would do this no matter what you decide about spaying/neutering) Will you be showing them? OFA clearing them for hips/elbows/heart? Have their parents been cleared? What about the dog down the road? Have any of these things been done with him? I've owned dogs my whole life and when I got my rott, (she is my 2nd) my plans were to breed her, until I came to this sight and my mind changed immediatly and I have learned so much. Read about back yard breeders and some of the horror stories that have happened to/with people that have bought dogs from them. (these are a lot of the time people just like you or me that wanted someone else to have a pup as special as their girl/boy) Read up on the rottie rescue forum about how many sad stories of puppies/dogs being turned over because an owner decided they weren't wanted. Read about unknown health issues that your dogs could be passing onto the pups unknowingly because your dogs aren't cleared, or parents or dog down the road...Believe me, it made my head spin!

Is there some reason why you got 2 the same age? That's a lot of responsibility to take on, and I hope that you have the time and funding to put into these pups that need to.

Please read up on this forum and take a lot of the good advice that is out there. And please do not get discouraged from learning about your "kiddos" and continuing on this sight from those that may come at you on this forum. Stick with the reading. You will have some regrets on decisions you've made and may decide to drastically change others. You'll be a better owner and your dogs will reap the rewards.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Here's a thread with the answer to your question about when females go into heat.

In terms of the breeding, please read this thread since it's also a sticky in this forum.

My recommendation would be to get both of your puppies spayed/neutered. The when depends on you, but you should make the decision for health reasons, not breeding ones. Here's another thread where the breed vs. neuter discussion was debated.

Last, I'd recommend you do a search of the forum. You'll find the info you're looking for about any health implications from spaying/neutering when the puppies are younger rather than waiting until they're older.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Valued Member

Your puppy bitch could get pregnant the first time she comes into heat (which might happen any day) and she most certainly could get pregnant by her brother.

And, yes, any time she's in season, her brother will try to mate with her. There's no such thing as incest in the canine world.

You've come to an excellent place to learn about Rottweilers. Many of the people here have been active in the breed for decades--showing, breeding, training, showing, and fighting BSL.

You'd be well advised to spend time reading thru the postings here.

There are so many terrific places for you to start reading here at RDN to begin your Rottweiler ownership education, but perhaps the first postings you should read focus on the challenges of raising two puppies at the same time.

2 puppies at the same time?

Getting 2 Rotties instead of 1?

2, 7 week old Rottweiler bitches

If you still need convincing as the difficulties of owning two puppies, type in "2 puppies at once" using the search function above.

The next section's postings you should read are those here in Breeding. You'll learn that breeding is far more complicated and complex than having a bitch and a dog.

Then read thru the postings in Rescue. Since you'll have already read all the postings in Breeding you'll know exactly why this forum is important to you.

And you'll find Puppy Development choke full of information.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalBallard View Post
I would take Shelbies advice and speak to your breeder. There is A LOT that goes into breeding, and it needs to be for all the right reasons, not just because.

I think AngelBunny's advice is excellent. And yes, your bitch can come into season any time now. If she comes into season prior to your spaying her or neutering your male, you must be prepared to keep them separated for a full 28 - 30 days. I have had bitches get pregnant on their 28th day of their season. There is no set rule that says she will only be in season for 3 weeks or thereabouts. Make sure you have facilities so that neither of them can get to each other while she is in season, be it crates, separate kennels, whatever it takes. Don't expect a baby gate to keep them apart.

I would dare to say that LadyMcKee did NOT purchase from an ethical breeder. There are none that I know of that would sell two puppies to the same person at the same time.

LadyMcKee, take the advice given. Do lots of reading here and educate yourself as to why you should not breed your dog later on. There are threads here that will show you what health certifications you should have received on both the sire and dam and there are threads explaining the reasoning behind training and showing your dogs to titles prior to ever breeding them. I hope you take this advice to heart and just do not become another back yard breeder.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Wink Re: Can pups go into heat at 6 months old?

Thanks for all the fast replies!!!

I was put off at first with some of your replies... I guess I felt you all asumed I was irresponsible... Which I understand now, after thinking about it, because there are a lot of irresponsible pet owners... I grew up with Rottweiler, German Shepard and Ridgeback. They were all pets we picked from the Humane Society and were already fixed.

I am new to having two dogs, however I am a responsible owner and understand the needs of my young pups. They get plenty of exercise and they love being trianed. I currently train them with small pieces of dog biscuts. Was thinking of picking up one of those clickers to re-enforce the training experiance with the pups.

The owners are kind of weird. They were not being helpful when I asked for papers on when they were born and records of their shots. Records of the shots didnt really matter, cause I needed to restart due to the previous owner not keeping up on them after 8 weeks old. When I took them to the vet, got all of their shots up to date and they were healthy ecept they have hookworms. They had a couple of marks that I wanted them to check for mange, they free from that.

I was curious about breeding. It was nothing I planed on doing any time soon or even doing period. Just thinking ahead, and know that once I get her fix that thats a done deal. I'm new to this site and been reading differant articles. I was reading a lot of articles and have no plan on becoming a 'backyard' breader. I was mostly wondering about when to get Lexie fixed. Because I don't want any kind of inbreeding.

I am really glad so many people on here are responsible owners! I do appriciate all the advice and opinions!

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Valued Member

Just curious....

Do the sire and dam of your pups have OFA health certifications? If not, then you definitely don't want to be breeding them at any point in time.

You can do a search on the OFA website by the sire or dam's name or registration number to see if they are certified for hips, eyes, hearts & elbows. If you are not sure how to do this, just give us the full names and/or registration numbers and we will do it for you.

Thanks for listening and heeding our advice.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
One of the Old Folks

Thumbs up Re: Can pups go into heat at 6 months old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Marples View Post
Just curious....

Do the sire and dam of your pups have OFA health certifications? If not, then you definitely don't want to be breeding them at any point in time.

You can do a search on the OFA website by the sire or dam's name or registration number to see if they are certified for hips, eyes, hearts & elbows. If you are not sure how to do this, just give us the full names and/or registration numbers and we will do it for you.

Thanks for listening and heeding our advice.
Sounds like these pup's are not even registered. The OP did not even get papers.

Please spay and neuter you pups...you can get both done at any time. They will live long healthy lives, and you will not have to worry about unwanted litters or your male bothering the female.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM

It sounds as though you bought your pups from a BYB so why become one yourself (not being rude)? My sister had a dog that got pregnant at 6 months she had 11 puppies, Lots of people have said I should breed my dog so I can get my money back from her, well I dont think so.. she doesnt have the best temperment so I dont want that to be inherited to her pups.. You have your hands full Good luck