Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 PM

at what age are dogs too old to have pups

I adopted a senior girl, owner turn-in...she had recently had pups. The owner claimed she was 7 1/2 but she looked MUCH older....her front teeth were mere stubs, she was already arthritic, she had the old dog buldging eyes, skinny rear and thicker shoulders...if I had to guess I would have thought at least 10. So I was just wondering...how old can a dog be and still be having pups?
And a related question....I've been to several breeders looking at pups where the mother dog is seven or eight....at what point should a dog NOT be bred?

Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Re: at what age are dogs too old to have pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermom View Post
I adopted a senior girl, owner turn-in...she had recently had pups. The owner claimed she was 7 1/2 but she looked MUCH older....her front teeth were mere stubs, she was already arthritic, she had the old dog buldging eyes, skinny rear and thicker shoulders...if I had to guess I would have thought at least 10. So I was just wondering...how old can a dog be and still be having pups?
And a related question....I've been to several breeders looking at pups where the mother dog is seven or eight....at what point should a dog NOT be bred?
While I do not have an answer to your first question, I do have an opinion on your second question..."at what point should a dog NOT be bred". This is a very personal decision so you may get a variety of answers with good justification for why each person feels the way they do.

In my opinion and in my breeding program, I would not breed a female over 6 years of age unless there was some exceptional reason to do so. I don't have any medical reason for this decision, this is simply what I feel is appropriate for my girls. My foundation female just turned 5 at the end of January and whelped her last litter last week. In my opinion, she has provided her contribution to my line, my program and the breed and in exchange for the great puppies she has given me she will now enjoy the rest of her life as "Grandma" to future litters from her kids

Old 02-20-2007, 11:36 PM

best age to breed for first time is between 2-4 years old if healthy and all in check.
if bred before, and in good shape, can have litters up to about 7.
any breeding/pregnancies after 5 tend to have more risks, such as whelping difficulties, smaller litters, not getting pregnant, pyometria, ect.
it is a question that can have many answers.
i recently had a boxer mix at work that had a litter at 12! half the litter survived, but the mother looked like crap and it was a very irresponsible thing to let happen.
i personally, now a days, breed my girls once, and somewhere between 4 or 6. why so late? i rather have my dogs working and showing than producing. and they must be in excellent shape, weight, health.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Valued Member

Personally, we never breed a bitch once she hits the "Veteran" age of 7 and very rarely use one at the age of six.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM

now, if the question is, can a female get pregnant even if old? answer is yes.
they do not go into menopause. their heats can get shorter and irregular, but if in season and ready, they will usually accept.
for this reason, spaying is not a bad idea if not a breeding/showing dog.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS