Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Talking Roman Rottweilers? Superior Size Rottweilers?

Don't ask me how I found these couple of websites regarding this "new" breed -

(from website)
******************* is the second breeder ever to breed/produce registered Roman Rottweilers, a newly recognized variety of the rottweiler recognized only by the AKR (Academic Kennel Records).

CKC (Continental Kennel Club) has recently recognized the Roman Rottweiler under the bloodline Roman. They have raised their standards to height limit 30in. & weight limit 140lbs. Our Roman Rottweilers are Duel registered with AKR and CKC.

I'm appalled - should I not be? Does this mean Kwin, my very first BYB dog (160 lbs) was really a "Roman Rottweiler" and I didn't even know it? Boy did I miss out...

I'm just sitting here shaking my head....

Feedback?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Re: Roman Rottweilers? Superior Size Rottweilers?

Since these registries will also register labordoodles and other mixed breeds I would hardly call them legitamate.
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Both the CKC and AKR that you mentioned in the above web site are a BYB's dream come true. They allow BYBs to command higher prices for their Frankensteins that they are pushing off on an unsuspecting public. If a buyer does not know what they are supposed to be looking for, the crap that is spewed by websites such as this lead them to believe that they are purchasing a well-bred dog. It is a shame that CKC (Continental Kennel Club, not to be confused with the Canadian Kennel Club, a respectable, reputable organization) is even allowed to operate.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Just sitting here reading through these sites is making me sick. I've always had "bigger than standard" Rottweilers, after buying our first BYB 18 years ago all of my others have been rescues (one I adopted from a couple getting a divorce, she was a puppy mill dog). Whenever anyone commented on their size I'm always quick to explain, that "these dogs are not good representatives of the breed, they are way out of standard", trying to impress on the people that this isn't what you are looking for when buying a Rottweiler...

Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 AM

"Roman rotts", "AKR", and "CKC..Continental Kennel Club" are all just LOUSY SALES GIMMICKS that are detrimental to the breed. All of them should be avoided like a plague.
Skip- USRC Select '07, Multi V1, Multi Select Youth Male Redwood Krest's Shane BH,AD,OB1,SchH/VPG3,IPO3,BST (b.12/02/04) OFA Hips good, Elbows clear,Heart Normal-Cardiologist,Eyes Good, CHIC#39947

Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Young
...the crap that is spewed by websites such as this...
ahem... allow me to clairify that.... The crap that is spewed by websites such as the one quoted by the OP lead an unsuspecting buyer to think that they are purchasing a well-bred dog.

My apologies if it appeared as though I was bashing RDN.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Young
ahem... allow me to clairify that....

My apologies if it appeared as though I was bashing RDN.
hmm... I understood that!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM

Yes you should be appalled and good for you! I totally agree with TR! And I commend you for letting people know that your dogs are out of standard. These "giant Rottweilers" our exactly what the breed does NOT need. They almost seem to be begging potential buyers who are buying a Rott for all the WRONG reasons!!!! I can't even imagine the handful of potential health problems that comes with this "new breed" (I am only using the term sarcastically)

What will they thing of next? Giant Pony Mastiffs tracing back to some obscure roots?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM

Hey Gunsey'sMom
come down to Lancaster Co PA and see what the amazing puppymill breeders come up with here!!!! I met a Cavachon the other day-yep Cavalier/Bicon mix. They paid $450!!! And a brindle Dachshund. And a supposedly purebed Rott that looked so much like a Bernese I just about lost it, esp cuz the owner thought it was perfectly normal for her dog to look like this and was planning on breeding!!!! And "rare" white boxers. And labradors that woundn't know how to hunt if their life depended on it, with significant health and temperment issues, including aggression. Here most of them come with ACA papers, American Canine Assoc. Somehow the AKC finally stopped registering these litters. We proudly produce well over 20,000 puppies per year!!!!!!!!!! And they have gotten into some of the potentially dangerous breeds, including Cane Corsos and other Mastiff-based breeds (Presa's etc).
Thank god for places like this site, that continues to try to educate and help those of us (me included-a rescue) who have wound up with one of these guys in their lives. In turn, armed with the information I get here, I do everything I can to keep people from buying these dogs. And help those who have.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Here are a couple of threads:
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/bre...ighlight=Roman
http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/chi...ighlight=Roman

Theses are the ones I could find.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 PM

WOW! I just dont see why more is not done to stop these people {legally} don't lawmakers know that these are the dog most likely to end up on the news!!!!!!!!! It makes it apparaent to me that all of this BSL is rally polital, because ifthey were really concerned about the issue of dangerous dogs, they would start with the puppy mills, and terrible breeders, and equally as important add funds to local shelters & rescues (sorry another thread)

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Greta
Hey Gunsey'sMom
come down to Lancaster Co PA and see what the amazing puppymill breeders come up with here!!!!
I just read today about how I should write and thank the PA Governor because he signed a bill that was anti-puppy mill. True?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMc
Don't ask me how I found these couple of websites regarding this "new" breed -

(from website)
******************* is the second breeder ever to breed/produce registered Roman Rottweilers, a newly recognized variety of the rottweiler recognized only by the AKR (Academic Kennel Records).

CKC (Continental Kennel Club) has recently recognized the Roman Rottweiler under the bloodline Roman. They have raised their standards to height limit 30in. & weight limit 140lbs. Our Roman Rottweilers are Duel registered with AKR and CKC.

Every time I run across one of these operations on the internet, I delight in sending them a nasty e-mail telling them exactly what I think of what they are doing. Amazingly, no one's ever written back.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Valued Member

Kathy,
I hear the sarcasim and the distain in your voice all the way up here. I think I even heard a few cuss words too. It really is horrible what they are doing to the rottweiler. All for money. They prey on the un-educated.
47,979 companion animals euthanized in NJ in 2003
49,975 in 2004, 40,706 in 2005
Report Abuse: NJSPCA 800-582-5979
BAN IRRESPONSIBILITY, NOT BREEDS

Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 PM

I would love to see the HD rates these "breeders" are producing.

And shame on any dog registry that supports these morons..