Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:41 AM

how do you know when a girl is in heat?

Hi all, I posted earlier on saying that my female didn't get in to heat yet! Now she is one week past her first birthday!!! Is it possible that she got into heat without a single drop of blood, and I mean NOT a drop?? She has a mail playmate that she always plays with under my supervision, I assume that he would've gone crazy if she got into heat, but this never happened. So the short of it, how can you tell if a female is in heat? Thanks in advance 

Old 04-29-2006, 12:05 PM

Re: how do you know when a girl is in heat?

a female dog can come into heat just about anytime after her 6 month of age.the larger the breed, the longer it can take. it can happen at any age from 6 month to 18 month in alot of bitches for their 1st heat.
you will notice her vulva larger and puffier than normal.you may see smoe spotting. some are very clean, some are very messy.usually, if you have other dogs, you will notice more sniffing and interst in her vulva area as she gets closer to coming or in heat.
i wouldn't worry yet. she is just 12 months.might be a late bloomer. it also helps if you ask the breeder what ages his females came into heat for the first time.
mine average between 9 mos-12mos of age for their first heat.
and come in season every 6 mos or so.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM

Re: how do you know when a girl is in heat?

thanks a bunch targonrotts the info are very usefull