Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 04:11 PM

signs your bitch IS pregnant

Hi there,

First off just let me say, I am not expecting a litter of pups, do not plan on breeding at any point in my life (dogs that is).

I just have a few questions for those out there who have bred their females. I was just wondering the signs the bitch will show once they are pregnant.

I am #2 on a waiting list with a breeder. She told me that she is not sure whether her bitch is pregnant or not. She said (not her exact words of course) when she came in heat there were a couple days that she just would not put the male and female together because it was just way too hot and humid. She wasn't sure if she missed the best days to put them together, although the female did stand for the male. She told me that her teats are getting bigger, she has a good strong appitite, and she has quieted down a lot.

Are these good signs? Also, when I was there, the females nipples were pretty big, not the actual "glands" but just the nipples, this will be the females 2nd litter if she is pregnant, would her nipples be a little larger where she had puppies before? Or would they go right back to their "virgin to puppies" state, lol.?

Thank you so much!

Holli

Are these good signs?

Old 09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Most breeders have their bitches checked via ultrasound, veterinary palpation or by blood test to check and see if they are pregnant. Very few just wait to see because of people on the waiting list

Most bitches will have some breast development even if not pregnant as almost all have at least a few signs of a false pregnancy. Breast development and weight gain are not sure signs because bitches with a strong false pregancy can do this as well
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 PM

diane is right - you can see all signs of pregnancy in a bitch due to a false pregnancy, so you really need to check and be sure...

some vets palpate really well, some not so well... so if using a vet who doesn't palpate a lot best to use U/S or blood test... U/S can tell a few days earlier, but some studies have indicated that U/S can affect the development of hearing in utero so i use the blood test myself

good luck! i am sure you are holding your breath and crossing all your fingers & toes!

cathy

Dr Cathy Priddle/Tierarztin/Daisy Hill
"TEST AND TELL"
Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori
"Der Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht."

Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM

at about 3 weeks of pregnancy, my girls generally lose a bit appetite for a day or two, then start to eat like pigs!i'll start noticing their nipples look pinker and a little enlarged.
at 4-5 weeks,mammary glands are a bit swollen,and depending on litter size, i might start to notice a fill under the ribs.usually by then i do a pregnancy test to verify that is pregnancy or a bad case of false pregnancy.
by 6-7 weeks, most my girls are obviously pregnant.with a belly and loss of hourglass shape from top.at 8 weeks i do an xray to see how many to expect, and at 59-64 days, theyt are here!
during pregnancy, some are more quiet or calm than normal.some are still themselves.
body temp is a bit lower than non pregnant bitches.and some will have a clear vaginal discharge during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierarztin
some vets palpate really well, some not so well... so if using a vet who doesn't palpate a lot best to use U/S or blood test... U/S can tell a few days earlier, but some studies have indicated that U/S can affect the development of hearing in utero so i use the blood test myself

Really? I've never heard that before about U/S. Do you have cites available? I'd be interested in reading up!

Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRott
Really? I've never heard that before about U/S. Do you have cites available? I'd be interested in reading up!
i am going to email elaine for the studies she sent me on beagles as i can't find them myself right now and i think she has them close at hand, but here is the cdn study on human children... human researchers feel the delayed speech problems in these kids is because the prenatal U/S affected their hearing...

Title
Case-control study of prenatal ultrasonography exposure in children with delayed speech [see comments]
Author
Campbell JD; Elford RW; Brant RF
Address
Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Alta.
Source
Can Med Assoc J, 1993 Nov 15, 149:10, 1435-40
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To determine whether there is an association between prenatal ultrasound exposure and delayed speech in children. DESIGN: Case-control study. SETTING: Network of community physicians affiliated with the Primary Care Research Unit, University of Calgary. SUBJECTS: Thirty-four practitioners identified 72 children aged 24 to 100 months who had undergone a formal speech-language evaluation and were found to have delayed speech of unknown cause by a speech-language pathologist. For each case subject the practitioners found two control subjects matched for sex, date of birth, sibling birth order and associated health problems. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Rates of prenatal ultrasound exposure and delayed speech. RESULTS: The children with delayed speech had a higher rate of ultrasound exposure than the control subjects. The findings suggest that a child with delayed speech is about twice as likely as a child without delayed speech to have been exposed to prenatal ultrasound waves (odds ratio 2.8, 95% confidence limit 1.5 to 5.3; p = 0.001). CONCLUSION: An association between prenatal ultrasonography exposure and delayed speech was found. If there is no obvious clinical indication for diagnostic in-utero ultrasonography, physicians might be wise to caution their patients about the vulnerability of the fetus to noxious agents.

i had a rough pregnancy with multiple U/S and it upset me greatly! but jake talks a blue streak and has passed all his hearing tests to date... but now that there is a blood test to determine canine pregnancy and that's all i was looking for with the U/S i'd rather be safe then sorry and use the blood test...

bonus- unless you have your own U/S the blood test is less expensive to boot!

cathy

"TEST AND TELL"

Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
found this as well:

The panel conducted an extensive review of the primary literature on this subject and of reports by the Bureau of Radiological Health (1976), Food and Drug Administration (1982), World Health Organization (1982), and the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (1984).

Some of the more than 35 published animal studies suggest that in utero ultrasound exposure can affect prenatal growth. When teratological effects have been found, energies capable of causing significant hyperthermia have usually existed.
A number of biological effects have been observed following ultrasound exposure in various experimental systems. These include reduction in immune response, change in sister chromatid exchange frequencies, cell death, change in cell membrane functions, degradation of macromolecules, free radical formation, and reduced cell reproductive potential. It should be noted that (a) some of the studies employed energy levels greater than would be expected to exist in clinical use; (b) in vitro exposure conditions to ultrasound used in many of the experiments are hard to place in perspective for risk assessment; (c) some of the observations, for example, sister chromatid exchange frequency changes and induction of chromosomal abnormalities, have not been reproducible, tending to refute the original findings. Nevertheless, some of the reported effects cannot be ignored or overlooked and deserve further study. The existence of these studies is one of the factors that contributed to our decision that routine ultrasound screening cannot be recommended at this time.

cathy

"TEST AND TELL"

Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
a few more:

Hande, M.P., & Devi, P.U. (1995). Teratogenic effects of repeated exposures to X-rays and/or ultrasound in mice. Neurotoxicol Teratol (NAT), 17(2), 179-88.

Devi, P.U., Suresh, R., & Hande, M.P. (1995). Effect of fetal exposure to ultrasound on the behavior of the adult mouse. Radiat Res (QMP), 141(3), 314-7.

Campbell, J.D., Elford, R.W. & Brant, R.F. (1993). Case-Controlled Study of Prenatal Ultrasound Exposure in Children with Delayed Speech. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 149(10), 1435-1440. (complete cite of cdn study previously mentioned)

Newnham, J.P., Evans, S.F., Michael, C.A., Stanley, F.J., & Landau, L.I. (1993). Effects of Frequent Ultrasound During Pregnancy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Lancet, 342(Oct.9), 887-891.

will get back with the beagle studies asap!

cathy

"TEST AND TELL"

Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Thank you!! These will be added to my files.